Model Cars Magazine Forum

How long have you been modeling?

7 months and I have only finished two models so far.

Two kits in seven months? That would be a record for me.

I have been building model cars for about half of my 39 years - or 19, whichever is less. The first kits I remember building were an MPC Monza or something with a spider on it and I think an AMT Scirocco.

Kind of depends upon how you look at it. I started as a kid, probably 8 or 9. I remember my dad built a P-40 and a PBY for me and I started with a 32 ford. I built up until I was done with pilot training in the Air Force in 73. The training squadron had a contest and the ceiling of the flight room was covered in aircraft models. I didn't build another model until my son came along and was about 5 so that would have been 93 when I picked it up again and have been going gangbusters ever since.

Ive been modeling on and off since I was about 7 or 8. I'm 37 now. Just wish I still had all my old models from when I was a kid. never kept any of them. I use to build them then play with them so they got wrecked. ;)

Edited by parki

Let's see I started when I was 5 years old in 1977 when my older brother gave me monograms snap kit of a 57 chevy in blue and silver plastic,since then I have done everything from cars to train set to starships,to wooden boat kits and all the way to wargaming pieces from games-workshop!

So yea I still go strong on my cars thought and for giggles I still do a sanp kit for the memories.

It began with LEGO and I moved on to cheap Matchbox military models and Matchbox and Airfix airplanes at first, then I discovered car model kits and was seriously hooked on those so gave up everything else and have been doing cars and trucks ever since.

I don't know exactly when I started but I believe I'm comming up to about 40 years now as I started with plastic models in the early 70's, and I think I have built model cars and trucks for about 35.

Edited by Force

Couple of years in the mid eighties(about 16yrs old), a few cars and a couple of truck kits (big rig) then the obligatory cars n girls took over then kids.Started again when the youngest was a baby (thats when Revell brought out the original top sportsman kits ,mid nineties? ), didn't really stop,though wasn't really serious about it till about 05 when I found a club, improved heaps since then :) . so about 17 odd years.

Edited by brett

Started in 1953(age 8) with planes,ships, tanks,etc. Built first car kit in 1958 and quit the other plastic(Darn you AMT). I think I actually built better models in the 60's than I do now. Had cool ideas on how to customize back then. Now I spend more time looking in boxes than anything else. Have many happy memories though. B) Richard

I began this adventure on November 7th, 1999. I know this because I painted it on the back of the cab, where it's hidden by the bed.

I finished it the next day, then built am AMT 1994 Mustang that I had recievd for a Christmas gift when it was new, 5 years previous. Then I went to Wal-Maart and got what would be kits #3 and 4, Revell's 48 Woody and 66 GTO respectivly. Then, another trip to Wal-Mart and a cart full of models-my stash was born. (I have saved one of those kits unbuilt, although it does have a poorly applied paint job). Then, I discovered my LHS...

2006June17th001-vi.jpg

I have MOST of my models. Some went missing. Some fell apart. I hope to find the missing ones someday but I'm not overly concerned about them because they were the AMT prepaints which were the only thing I could bring myself to do in 2002.

I was 15 when I started, by about a week less than a month. I have not stopped yet but I have gotten close a few times. I doubt I'll ever stop totally, the longest I've gone without doing something in the hobby was about 8 months.

Finished 272 models to date, including one in 2011 already. Of that number maybe 1/3 could be considered good if being generous, but I don't care, I am having fun. I built cars only until 2009 but since then I have tried a little of pretty much anything.

http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/my_models_in_order/

It will be 33 years for me come this fall.............didn't get started until I was 17 and in my last year of high school. IIRC, my first model was Monogram's very recently new '57 Corvette kit. I had stopped for a couple years in the mid '80's, but picked it back up again and haven't looked back. :D

I was probably 8 years old (1967) when I "helped" my Dad build a model kit on my Grandma's kitchen table. That was AMT's 1954 Ford pickup and I just loved the details in that little box of heaven! He gave me that truck when it was done and later on bought me and My brother each various models (1/32 and 1/24th) and for the next few years we struggled to assemble... learning along the way. My regular request for Christmas and Birthdays for a long time were of course model kits.

Even hauled a few projects with me when I went off to College just to keep my nose in a hobby that I loved.

So I would have to say that I have been building models almost none-stop since 1968, some 42 years now. :)