Model Cars Magazine Forum

1980 Kenworth W900

Just so you guys don't think I've been a total slacker, here are some pics of my latest creation. This started life as the 1991 issue of the Monogram Kenworth Aerodyne (the orange one). What I've done so far is replaced the Caterpillar 3406A with a Cummins NTC350 Big Cam III. (Can I call it a Big Cam III even if it only vaguely resembles one?) Still need to add the AC pump, and figure out the air intake. Painted it gloss black with a semi-gloss black chassis. I have added KFS P/E logos to the hood, and they will go on the sleeper as well. KFS P/E stacks will replace the kit stacks.

P4210009.jpg

P4210010.jpg

P4210011.jpg

P4210012.jpg

P4210014.jpg

Lots more to do.

Edited by Jim B

No, the black is Dupli-Color Gloss Black with a Dupli-Color Gloss Clear Coat. The metallic effect is due to either my poor painting abilities or by photographic skills (or lack there of).

Edited by Jim B

Jim,

Very nice indeed! The W900a is one of my all time favourite trucks. This example is coming along great. The NTC 350 looks right for the length of hood, it also looks good in white. I don't think you will have much trouble with the air intakes.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I'm partial to the W900 as well. And there's just soemthing about Kenworths & Cummins. I think they just go together.

The NTC350 is actually beige on this model; not white. Must be over exposure or something making it look white because I used Tamiya Deck Tan XF55. It's pretty close to Cummins Beige.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So it's been a while since I posted any progress on my 1980 Kenworth W900. I haven't managed to get a lot done, but I did make some progress. Since the last post I've finished the interior (some of the "Old Timers" might recognize the book on the bunk), mount the hood & cab, and break the drive shaft while mounting the cab! It's always an adventure.

I think it's just stacks, radiator, roof lights, & horns. Then we'll call it done.

FILE0017.jpg

FILE0019.jpg

FILE0022.jpg

FILE0023.jpg

Thanks, guys. Glad you like it.

@Mark R - I've been trying to improve my dashes, so thanks for the comments. I think it came out rather nicely, too. Used toothpicks to paint the silver on the bezel rings. It takes some practice, but I'm getting better. I just wish the photo wasn't blurry.

@Matthew - touched that up this morning!

@Ray - Thanks. Just scanned in the cover of my copy & reduced it. Would you like the file? The Atlas I got from the Rand McNally Website. I wanted to make a mapcase or something, but I couldn't figure out how.

Did have a "minor" set back today. Turns out the engine is mounted too high to get the aircleaner piping to fit. So, I had to remove engine, and mount it lower.

See? These are the things you learn when you do things like this.

Edited by Jim B

wow nice job on the dash!! i think im just gonna send all my dashes to you for paint from now on, lol. i have a real hard time with those small lil places for paint, got these big beet up brick layer hands and well lil patience with paint , lol. great job, are ya gonna make a chicken hauler out of it?

dennis

If you want really nice dashes, send them to Scott!

No, not a chicken hauler; tanker yanker.

aahhww i see, a rollin refinery!! what kit ya gonna use, the amt or revell? id love to get my hands a revell chrome kit but OUCH are they pricy!

gonna be nice when its all done, good job.

dennis

I currently have the AMT Freuhauf tanker in progress. Maybe I should post some pics.

you should absolutely post some pics!! i cant wait till i learn how to, gotta wait for my brother in law to come show me. lol then i can show off the junk im biuldin hee hee. i like watchin biulds, learnin new tricks from folks on here is great.

dennis

So, I mananged to get some work done on the W900 this weekend. After a minor set back of the engine being mounted too high; I managed to get that corrected, the radiator mounted, the stack heat shields on, the logos on the sleeper, and the lights & horns on the roof. It's not much, but it's something.

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. You're Revell of Germany kit should come out better as it's more detailed to begin with. There's a few aftermarket parts on this one, and the engine is from the AMT Peterbilt 359 (I think).