Model Cars Magazine Forum

UPS Parcel Truck

Another outstanding build coming from you Tom! Did you resin cast that front end or is that scratch built? It looks like the real thing, can't wait to see this one done.

The whole thing is plastic bent around round items until the curve pleased me, the rest is glued pieces and LOTS of primer and sanding. It would be nice to have more advanced tools, but my space and budget keep me a file and sandpaper guy. If I don't like the way a part looks, I'll do it over until I do. I've wasted SO much plastic!

Some of the compund curves can be made with a super glue/ baby powder mixture. It's hard to sand, but very strong. I have never used putty, only this mixture. Much harder to work with than putty, but using it means the bodywork actually adds to the strength of the model body.

Edited by Repstock

That is some mighty impressive scratchbuilding!

I'd love to do a magazine feature on this. Send me a PM if you're interested. I would need step-by-step photos... so before you get too far along, if you're up for it, let me know ASAP. I'll PM you too.

Isn't that what a current UPS truck looks like?

They've switched to boxier trucks in recent years- they're even running the Freightliner Sprinters now. The UPS truck that dropped off my Batmobile today did not have the old-style front end. Just looked like a Workhorse van painted brown.

Tom- I am gonna LOVE this. Do you have any idea how long I've wanted to see somebody do a UPS truck in scale? :D

Guest Johnny

They must have changed over recently. Or they're still in the process, because the UPS truck that comes by here looks just like the one in this post.

They have about three different styles they are using around here now! I'll have to see if I can get hold of one of my son's friends who is a driver for UPS and see what they are up to! :lol:

Can't wait to see this one finished!!!!!!!! Hey, you could make a diorama! All you need is a 1/25 football player that is kicking a football. Replace the ball with a box and put a brown uniform on him! :lol:

the "workhorse" uses a freightshaker chassie...and a deisel engine of somesorts....i got a few snap shots when the ups guy delivered somethings here....

ill get the pics up here in a few i got something else i gotta take care of!

as promised....

DSCI0626.jpg

DSCI0627.jpg

the "workhorse" model...it has the name "WORKHORSE" on the steering wheel as well is what this driver told me!