Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fall 2010 Releases from Revell

Maybe it is stupid, but what is the big difference between the 2010 and 2011 mustang? I can only see the 5.0 badge instead of a GT badge on the car and the rest of the exterior seems to be very much the same, except for the wheels.

Exterior is much the same..the big difference is under the hood..the '11 has the all new 5.0L V8.

Edited by Rob Hall

I'm wondering if the exhaust system will be carryover from the '06 version (and therefore incorrect for a '10)? Won't be a deal breaker for me if it is, though. (Strange as it sounds, I like to display my finished models with the chassis pointed DOWN! :lol: )

Maybe, but I doubt if there was much difference in the exhaust of the '10 from the '06, the engine for the '10 was pretty much carryover from the '05-09 model. It's the '11 that has the big mechanical changes (both for V6 and V8 in 1:1).

Maybe, but I doubt if there was much difference in the exhaust of the '10 from the '06, the engine for the '10 was pretty much carryover from the '05-09 model. It's the '11 that has the big mechanical changes (both for V6 and V8 in 1:1).

The exhaust system in my neighbor's '08 looks quite a bit different than what's supplied in the Revell kits- guess I'll have to ask him if it's aftermarket.

Exterior is much the same..the big difference is under the hood..the '11 has the all new 5.0L V8.

Thanks, I just don't get the big 'fuzz' about whether it should be a '11 instead of a '10.

Please don't get me wrong, but already in the '06 version there is not a lot to show underneath the hood. It is not like there is a gem of a v-8 lurking down there.

Maybe it is because I live on this side of the pond, but it wouldn't matter to me if it was a '10. I'll buy it :lol:

I am interested in how much they would harvest from the '06 kit,

Thanks, I just don't get the big 'fuss' about whether it should be a '11 instead of a '10.

Please don't get me wrong, but already in the '06 version there is not a lot to show underneath the hood. It is not like there is a gem of a v-8 lurking down there.

Maybe it is because I live on this side of the pond, but it wouldn't matter to me if it was a '10. I'll buy it :lol:

I am interested in how much they would harvest from the '06 kit,

It's an issue of timing... since the '11 is out now in 1:1, it's a bit late for Revell to be releasing a '10 kit now..they should have done the '10 kit last year if they were going to do it. And the new 5.0 V8 is definitely a gem.

500x_2011-mustang-5.0.jpg

Though I'll still be happy w/ the '10 kit, I just hope they release an updated '11 sooner than later...

Edited by Rob Hall

Yup, and with that engine, the Mustang GT went from "well, the handling's pretty good" to something Motor Trend could put up against a BMW M3 in all seriousness. It was less than a tenth of a second slower around Willow Springs, dead-even to slightly superior in acceleration, and marginally better in braking and cornering numbers, too.

With any luck, Revell will furnish a '12 5.0, maybe. Since the '05 - '08 tooling has some serious mileage, the '10 is supposed to be all-new - and if they're going to that extent, hopefully everything will be properly updated.

I'm going to grab another 59 Cadillac. I wasn't impressed with the results of the first one that I built. The kit was fine, but I decided that i was such a good builder that I didn't need "no stinkin' instructions". I got myself into a mess with that one. I'll have to break down and get a 72 Cutlass also. There are some others that will be making an appearance at my 20.

Guest madazzskilzkustumz

I need a Black Widow to go with mine 1957 Black Widow chevy race car I’m making It s a famous racer :lol: It is almost perfect! thanks! JIMMY! ;)

He is a pic of my Challenger and his Camaro. They stop traffic when parked at his house when I visit.

DSC00225.jpg

Jason...I'm not a modern day Mopar or Chevy guy (now drive an '11 Mustang 5.0L GT Convertible, and owned Mopars back in the day but not too fond of them today), but I gotta admit, those two cars parked side by side like that look STUNNING. Really nice choice of colors on both. Congrats to you and your brother. TIM BOYD

It's an issue of timing... since the '11 is out now in 1:1, it's a bit late for Revell to be releasing a '10 kit now..they should have done the '10 kit last year if they were going to do it. And the new 5.0 V8 is definitely a gem.

Though I'll still be happy w/ the '10 kit, I just hope they release an updated '11 sooner than later...

I found a Town Car with a bad engine....I wonder if it'll fit???

Hmmm....kinda off-beat, but I can't help but wonder if they went back to the old-style starter so it'll even sound right when it's cranking over...that'd be cool.

Charlie Larkin

Jason...I'm not a modern day Mopar or Chevy guy (now drive an '11 Mustang 5.0L GT Convertible, and owned Mopars back in the day but not too fond of them today), but I gotta admit, those two cars parked side by side like that look STUNNING. Really nice choice of colors on both. Congrats to you and your brother. TIM BOYD

So, Tim, I guess you have no use for the '07 now? I'll buy it if you'll sell it cheap enough! :)

Your right that the issue is timing, Revell is a year behind because that's how long it takes to get a new tool to market. The days of getting all the advanced new car production details died with the annual dealer promos. Sure Revell could have slapped a 2011 label on the kit but then everyone would be screaming about the lack of the 5.0 Engine. Even if they did decided to re-tool the engine mid-stream, It would delay the release by many months and probably add five figures several times over to the tooling cost.

Anyone want to buy a $40.00 Revell 2011 Mustang kit next April? I didn't think so .... I'll happily enjoy my 2010 Mustang kit now as is and wait for the Modified re-issue with the 5.0 engine later.

-Steve

Looks pretty dull to me with the exception of a couple of kits. For the most part, they seem to just keep feeding us the same old, same old. *yawns* If the do a complete, fresh casting of a previous release and improve on it,, that's one thing. But for example, the '59 Ford coule be redone as a normal hardtop or convertible - IMHO, that retracble hardtop kit is pretty sad with it's multiple piece body shell. Hopefully the other guys will have a better, more inspiring selection of new stuff. :)