Model Cars Magazine Forum

Charity raffle Manx

VW Dave

I've been keeping this one kinda quiet, but it's hard to do so when the end is in sight.....so I'm offering a little sneaky-peeky.

A local young couple had a baby girl in March of this year, and at 11 days old she was diagnosed with a heart valve issue that needed surgery to remedy; as of now, she has had 3 surgeries. Needless to say, the medical insurance shortfall they are facing is staggering. After donating all we could, I hatched a plan to donate much more than I could alone: build a totally one-off custom Manx and raffle it. In 1999 our VW club did the very thing, and the Tamiya New Beetle I built helped out a local animal rescue group.

Stay tuned for more details, but for now enjoy a little preview:

DSCN5967-vi.jpg

DSCN5968-vi.jpg

Hideo-san sent me his new website address: http://motohashi-mww.com/

Prepare to be amazed by his stuff.......especially the machined Hotwheels(1/64!!!) Weld & Radir wheels

Edited by VW Dave

Thanks for the kudos, it really means a lot coming from you folks. I'm hoping that the handful of personal touches I'm adding can make the raffle a big success, even though I'm starting to get kinda attached to this little gem.

Gluebomber - The flake paint job is a special system I've developed, which utilizes Tamiya sprays and craft store brush-on(yes, BRUSH) acrylic glitter paint. The flakes are technically out-of-scale, but I feel that dune buggies are flamboyant and kinda 'larger than life,' so it's OK:

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/how-tos/dune-buggy-approved/

• 3 weeks later...

As of yesterday the model is complete....I'm finalizing a few details on the raffle itself before I actually 'pull the trigger,' but here's a look at the little car all together:

DSCN6060-vi.jpg

Note the November '08 issue of MCM, with Tim Boyd's Manx build on the cover:

DSCN6058-vi.jpg

DSCN6068-vi.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, all; I'm hoping that plenty of folks would be into having that sparkly little gem on their shelf....I know I'll have a bit of a hard time letting it go, but I'm excited to see where in the world it goes.

Turned out very nice ! I used that Glitter Blast on my Manx too , it really looks at home on them .

Good Luck !

Glitter Blast isn't what I used - The paint I used is actually from Plaid's Martha Stewart line, but I'm sure there's plenty of similarities; IMO buggies just don't look 'right' without big flakes.

Jim - That is indeed one of those frames, and yes they are a bit spendy....but well worth it once you see it up close. He even does one to fit the Revell Imp.

Dave love your Manx! If its allowed on the forum, could you tell us more about the raffle and how we could help / buy raffle tickets? If its not allowed on the forum, could you PM some details? I'd love to buy a raffle ticket especially for such a good cause. Thank you.

Thanks again for the positive comments, all; I'm very proud of how this little car turned out, and it feels good knowing that the end result is a little dent in the family's financial shortfall. Here's a funny thing: the baby's family doesn't know yet that I'm doing this....going to visit them on Monday. B)

Roger - I have yet to do anything with the Imp; still hoping to iron out the details with the real Imp owner's wife, but she still maintains that the 'kid down the street' can build her the model for literally pennies. :blink:

Well, the powers that be here at the MCM forums have given me the green light; for that I am eternally grateful.

The raffle will run approximately 10 weeks from now - maybe 12 weeks, if the responses are favorable. I'm figuring that the proceeds of the raffle will be a welcomed gift for the family in time for Christmas, and the Manx will be equally welcome in the home of the winner.

Speaking of winners and prizes: my good friend Scott, a car guy and woodworking whiz kid, has agreed to donate an item for a 2nd prize drawing: one of his cool custom-made birdhouses, topped with a tin roof made from a vintage NY license plate. Pictures to follow ASAP.

Tickets are 2 for $1, and $10 gets you 25; the raffle's PayPal address is hadleys.heart2012@gmail.com Include your mailing address with payment, and I will mail your ticket stubs. Don't have PayPal? Have any questions? Feel free to drop a line to my email address: plasticman1432@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for your interest and help!

Edited by VW Dave