Model Cars Magazine Forum

garage painting

I earlier had posted a question about "in house" paint booths and have had lots of great feedback. Main concerns were from hazardous vapors, both igniting and breathing, so I'm exploring alternatives. How about just painting in the garage with doors open? I can controll dust, to a certian degree, with a fan. Temprature should not be much of a problem. Stays in the 70s most days. Painting is done with cans. Cant' afford air brushes and if I could, would take me years to figure them out. Not looking for show worthey models, just nice ones. Your thoughts?

I am one of the guys here that still uses rattle cans in the garage or on the back deck.

I have an airbrush but I havent built a suitable booth yet. Anyways when I spray in the garage I just bring the model inside the house after laying on a coat of paint. Nothing fancy. Helps keep the dust out of the paintjob.

I paint outside all the time too. I just gage the wind and aim the can accordingly. I've airbrushed outside too with success. Even in hot or cold weather, I paint and run back inside ASAP. Having a dehydrator idling on the counter helps a lot.

Bob

All my models that I have painted (both big trucks and cars) have been painted either outside or in the back shed. I do run a fan when I'm in the shed. I also have a airbrush that I used in the past for my model railroad, but have never used it on a car or truck model. Don't get me wrong, I would love to try it again on those type of models, but I hate setting it up and then tearing it down to clean it for roughly 10 minutes worth of work. I will try it someday, because I really want to try my hand painting with nail polish. Nail polish has so many colors to chose from, making it appealing to me. :D

I paint every project in my garage. That is where I have my airbrush and compressor (on my work bench that is now a paint bench LOL).

I use a few portable fluorescent lights to light the bench.

What I do is crack both doors about 3 feet (in winter) or open one of them up all together when it's warm. I ALWAYS wear a gas mask when I airbrush. If I am just laying down a quick rattle can primer or something, I usually don't bother.