Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beginning air brushing

I would like to eventually get into airbrushing my models. I don't want to go to the expense of a full blown set up, double action gun, compressor, etc.. until I can become proficient at it, or not. I have seen some inexpensive starter kits for around $30.00. They use canned air supplies. Limited nozzles and jars. Worth a try?

Nothing beats airbrushing with a compressor!!!

Shooting paint through an airbrush, whatever the brand or type, with a can of air is going to change the flow of the air through the unit from the very moment you push the button! How can you get used to or proficient with something like that? Compressors and regulators are as necessary to airbrushing as is the airbrush itself.

The only bottled air I would use is a large tank filled up at the local Gas station with a small cheap regulator attached. That can last you for one or two models before it needed recharging if you don't have any leaks in the system.

I personally have a Sears 22 gal tank with a 5 hp compressor. Cost around 150 when it was new.... 6 years ago. I fill the tank once a week and use it until the tank is nearly empty. Fire up the motor rarely now and that ###### thing is near bullet proof. Love it! Last thing they will pry out of my cold dead hands my compressor and airbrush.....

Is anyone still reading this? Your mileage may vary, please do not take internally....

I think you should at least try to get a compressor and decent airbrush. Your results in the end will be well worth the extra $

I got my compressor at Harbor Freight Tools for $65. is 2.5 gallon tank and useful for other things around the house. (my selling point to my wife) My airbrush is a Badger 350 as a gift from my daughter. but you can get a starter set for around $50. So I would suggest to save your money for a good set-up, you will be much better off and happier in the long run. plus a set-up like this will last a long time. and the $30 dollar set-up you will eventually need to change anyway. this is just my opinion, :D

Personally, I wouldn't go with those starter kits for several reasons:

1: They are not consistent

2: You will not learn anything about airbrushing because they are single action external mix

3: You may get frustrated enough to forget about it

4: You'll spend a fortune in those cans

However, you don't have to spend a fortune on a real setup. I bought a low cost airbrush (copy of a Badger 150) that is dual action internal mix, and a portable air tank with a Craftsman regulator. That was about 15 years ago and that is still my current setup. Only that instead of filling the tank in the gas station now I have my own compressor. I spent about $40 then. You can probably do that now for about $60 or so.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks,