Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri...Volvo, Pete 378, & refer

I think we all are with you about the refer trailer....I remember being so terribly disappointed with the height, that I wanted to cry.... :( But the Volvo will be nice to see return.....And the 378 is better suited as a daycab.....Even the last one I built I made lots of modifications, but it just didn't look that great as a long hauler.....I'd love to see that come back out....This time I'll grab a FEW of them.....

Edited by kilrathy10

Italeri need to go beyond correcting the height issue. They need to make the floor, the roof and the sides just like the Moebius Reefer trailer. Air ride sliding tandem with correct wheel hubs wouldn't hurt either.

Yeah, the piece together sides, floor, and roof are a pain too, but from my experience with their 40' container (ironically in this pic hooked to my Volvo 780 :D ), they actually hide the seems fairly well.

HPIM1522.jpg

I never bought the reefer, even though a friend of mine has one and I do have an unstarted dry van version, and it seemed as if the seams were not as easily hidden as the container, just due to the fact the container has ribbing that they could hide the seams where the beaded sides of the reefer and van they just can't as easily. As for air ride, not every trailer has it, and suspension really doesn't matter in my case. The reefers I pull for Walmart (I drive for Schneider National pulling Walmart trailers) at work are a mix of Great Dane and Utility trailers and the dry vans are mostly all Great Dane or Pines (a Great Dane trailer too) and all have spring suspensions. I even have plans for a Moebius Dane to build one of the trailers with markings for the distribution center I work out of, just got to figure out how to modify the back for the roll up door and the two extra reefer units inside for the back two zones not cooled by the main reefer unit when the inner bulkheads are down and the trailer is in three zone mode.

I think we all are with you about the refer trailer....I remember being so terribly disappointed with the height, that I wanted to cry.... :( But the Volvo will be nice to see return.....And the 378 is better suited as a daycab.....Even the last one I built I made lots of modifications, but it just didn't look that great as a long hauler.....I'd love to see that come back out....This time I'll grab a FEW of them.....

One plus with the incorrect height, JT, it does make it possible to build a city truck that may not actually be 13'6"! I know through my time on the road, there are some local delivery companies that may only use a 12'6" (which if I remember correctly from other discussions about the Italeri reefer and box is what it actually scales out to height wise) for their deliveries just because of low clearance issues around cities. I've planned on using my dry van as a mail trailer, since there are some I've seen around that are only 12'6".

As for the Volvo, I'm very happy to see it return, maybe I won't get 20 requests wanting to know if I want to trade mine when I post pics of mine like the one above! :lol: I'll be getting more too! I just hope maybe someone will give us a hood conversion to make one of the long hood VT 880:

VolvoVT880_m.jpg

I've never had one of the 378s, but I think that if Italeri would offer it with the sleeper from the 377A/E, it would look much better as a long hauler. I know there are quite a few companies (TMC is one in particular) that used the 378 with the sleeper like the 377 kit for their road trucks.

hey highway I have to agree with you on the height issue.when I had deliveries in nyc I would take the 12'6 dry van.it made it so much easier and faster because I was able to come out through the Holland or Lincoln tunnel depending on which part of the city I ended up on.I'm glad you told us that the italeri reefer scales out to 12'6 I have one in my stash.now I have an idea for it. thanks!

hey highway I have to agree with you on the height issue.when I had deliveries in nyc I would take the 12'6 dry van.it made it so much easier and faster because I was able to come out through the Holland or Lincoln tunnel depending on which part of the city I ended up on.I'm glad you told us that the italeri reefer scales out to 12'6 I have one in my stash.now I have an idea for it. thanks!

I'm not for sure on that Anthony, but I think that is what it does scale to, at least what my (bad :lol: ) memory recalls from other discussions on the trailer. I do know NYC was one of the common areas for the shorter trailers that I seen on the road thanks to all those low bridges!

I built the reefer back in 1999 I think and at the time it really didn't bother me that it had multiple parts for the sides, roof and floor. But it just didn't look aesthetically correct for a US style reefer trailer. I have physically seen them whilst in the US and I have seen photos and it just doesn't do it for me now. I have my old one on the bench awaiting restoration including air ride suspension, repaint and better detailing to try and make it as close as possible to the real thing. If AMT can manufacture reefer and dry vans with one piece sides, floor and roof I'm sure Italeri could.

As for the Volvo, I think they are great and when built they look amazing. I have two that are almost complete. Not that I am complaining but Italeri should have made it so that it had a multipart frame, pose able front axle, and a detailed engine with a tilting hood and that would have made it an AWESOME kit in my opinion.

I built the reefer back in 1999 I think and at the time it really didn't bother me that it had multiple parts for the sides, roof and floor. But it just didn't look aesthetically correct for a US style reefer trailer. I have physically seen them whilst in the US and I have seen photos and it just doesn't do it for me now. I have my old one on the bench awaiting restoration including air ride suspension, repaint and better detailing to try and make it as close as possible to the real thing. If AMT can manufacture reefer and dry vans with one piece sides, floor and roof I'm sure Italeri could.

As for the Volvo, I think they are great and when built they look amazing. I have two that are almost complete. Not that I am complaining but Italeri should have made it so that it had a multipart frame, pose able front axle, and a detailed engine with a tilting hood and that would have made it an AWESOME kit in my opinion.

I'm figuring maybe the only reason Italeri does that is so that the trailers fit in the same size box as the trucks, either to take less shelf space or keep shipping size down for the exports form Italy, who knows?!? :unsure:

I do agree, an opening hood and engine would have been MUCH better in the Volvo, but I actually kinda liked the one piece frame. It's the first frame I haven't had to worry about slipping out of adjustment after I got it together! :lol:

The one piece frame can make it easier for alignment issues but both the frames on the ones I have been working on seem to have had a slight bend in them resulting in the rear axle being up off of a flat surface when sitting on its wheels.

Never noticed that on mine, but it was one of the few I started almost as soon as I got it. Of course, it never made it much farther than the pic though! :lol:

[quote name="highway" post="1151864" timestamp="

I've never had one of the 378s, but I think that if Italeri would offer it with the sleeper from the 377A/E, it would look much better as a long hauler. I know there are quite a few companies (TMC is one in particular) that used the 378 with the sleeper like the 377 kit for their road trucks.

The Italeri reefer trailer is best used as a grain trailer if you chop the sides down a little bit.

The Volvo was a dud when it was first issued. It will be interesting to see how it does this time around. Maybe the 670 will follow, it is more suitable for fleet trucks. Luckily I cleaned up on Volvos when nobody wanted them the first time around.

Italeri did this very thing a couple years ago.

They called it the 'Long Hauler'.

I could be wrong Jake, but I thought I read here before when the "Long Hauler" version of the 378 was reissued a few years ago, the only part of the kit that actually got the larger sleeper was the box art. Inside, I thought it was said it was just the same small sleeper as the original one.

Until Moebius came out with the Lonestar and Prostar, the Volvo was my favorite kit....Even without the engine, it was 1/24 scale, and it looks awesome with my scratch built race trailers......No modifications necessary......1/24 scale is easier to do in my head, so I can scratch stuff up, way faster than 1/25 scale.....Although, I do agree that the addition of an engine and multipiece frame would be much better.....I don't have my hopes up for that, though....Italeri is famous for reissuing stuff with the only modification being a new set of decals......I'm thinking that this is the way they'll go.....

And no offense, Matt, but I just can't get used to that VT880.....Just doesn't do it for me.....I think they could have done a little better aesthetically....But, that's just me....It's shiny and new, so someone is bound to buy a few....

And I have to admit, I do find the local delivery trailers around here, are in fact about that height....Refering to the 48' refer trailer Italeri has tried to pass off as a 53'er, recently.....That was one of the worst bits of false advertising I'd seen, yet....And they've done stuff like that, before......The Container Trailer with an American chassis on the box art.....The 378 Long Hauler with the picture of the 379 on the front.....The list doesn't stop, there, but most of you know what I'm saying... I regress, though....Until Moebius stepped up with theirs, they were the only game in town.....We'll see....Not sure why it would be so hard to include a fuel tank in the dadgum box, but ok....That stuff aside, all I really mean to say is that there is still a use for that trailer, so I'd still buy a couple....

Edited by kilrathy10

I could be wrong Jake, but I thought I read here before when the "Long Hauler" version of the 378 was reissued a few years ago, the only part of the kit that actually got the larger sleeper was the box art. Inside, I thought it was said it was just the same small sleeper as the original one.

The issue with the box art was that it showed a picture of a 379.

• 4 weeks later...

Im looking forward to the pete kit, in so cal where i live, the flat top pete is a very common sight. I currently have the 378 kit and ordered the resin parts to convert it to the new 389. Im also gonna built the moebius 53'er, spray alclad to give it a stainless look to resemble a multiple, best of show winning everyday working truck, cant wait for the build to start

• 4 months later...