Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Chevrolet Bison was the not-so-popular cousin of the GMC General. They were out there, but not that many. Some fleets used them (Yellow Freight for example), and some were used by local haulers. Check Hank's Truck Pictures for some good reference pics.

The information that I have says that the AMT kit is a 1977-78 Chevrolet Bison with a 116" BBC. Also of note, the kit has a 8V92N in it; but from what I can tell only the 8V92T was offered, not the 8V92N.

As far as the kit goes, I haven't built the Bison (yet), but I have built a General; and the fit was pretty bad. Even by AMT standards. If the Bison kit is anything like the General, and I have every reason to believe that it is because it's basically the same kit, it will try your patience.

From the factory, the following engines were available in the Bison:

Detroit Diesel - 6V71N. 6V71T, 8V71N, 8V71T, 6V92T, & 8V92T

Cummins - NTC290, NTC350, & NTC400

Caterpillar - 3406

Although the engine from the RoG K100 (Cummins NTTC475) wasn't offered from the factory, the Bison could be purchased as a Glider Kit so that engine could end up in one.

For what it is worth, the Bison was far more popular in Canada than the US (as a % of market share). Chevy had a much stronger and larger heavy truck dealer network than in the US. Chevy car dealers in Canada could get medium and heavy trucks without all the requirements put on US dealers. Or so I was lead to believe by Chevy dealer friends north of the border in Ontario. But it was not to last. When Chevy bailed the heavies in the early 80's, it really put a hurt on some dealers in cities where GMC had been weak or non existent but Chevy heavy trucks strong. The politics got really interesting to watch from a distance.

The Bison and General rolled down the same line with 99.9% the same parts. Badging was the only difference (and occasionally was mixed up when it arrived at the dealer). Paint schemes, interiors, and all were the same. The "spec" books, option codes, parts, and service books at the dealers were the same other than the cover page and in some cases listed both. GMC did a few oddballs that Chevy did not offer late in the game (like the Astro SS), but I am not aware of anything Chevy ever had from the factory that GMC did not.

Now VERY early on if I recall, which is always subject correction as it has been a long time ago, a 12V71 was available in the long hood versions (116") but not the shorter hood (108"). Since the AMT kit is the long hood version of the Bison/General most anything within reason SHOULD fit.

Kit wise, as mentioned, be prepared for lots and lots of warped parts but with a little skill and lots of patience, it will come out.

Good luck.

Edited by olsbooks

You can change/edit your topic title be editing your first post.

I've built both the Chevrolet Titan/90 & GMC Astro/95. They were decent kits. Some fit issues if I remember correctly. The air horns & wipers are oversized & probably should be replaced; and the new reissues have the exhaust piping for different exhaust configurations but not the stacks.

Here's my Astro. Replaced the spokes & spring suspension with disks & air ride suspension from the GMC General; horns, wipers & stacks are P/E. Added deck plate from wire mesh & 1/4 fenders from the GMC General. In retrospect, I probably should have left the spokes on the rears:

FILE0033.jpg

Here is my Titan. Like the Astro, I converted the exhaust to dual outboard stacks. The stacks here are the spare stacks that AMT gives you to make a single stack version (one from the Titan kit & one from the Astro kit). Wipers are P/E, and horns are from the Revell USA Kenworth W900 (or maybe they are from the Revell USA Peterbilt 359).

06Outside.jpg

You can change/edit your topic title be editing your first post.

I've built both the Chevrolet Titan/90 & GMC Astro/95. They were decent kits. Some fit issues if I remember correctly. The air horns & wipers are oversized & probably should be replaced; and the new reissues have the exhaust piping for different exhaust configurations but not the stacks.

Here's my Astro. Replaced the spokes & spring suspension with disks & air ride suspension from the GMC General; horns, wipers & stacks are P/E. Added deck plate from wire mesh & 1/4 fenders from the GMC General. In retrospect, I probably should have left the spokes on the rears:

FILE0033.jpg

Here is my Titan. Like the Astro, I converted the exhaust to dual outboard stacks. The stacks here are the spare stacks that AMT gives you to make a single stack version (one from the Titan kit & one from the Astro kit). Wipers are P/E, and horns are from the Revell USA Kenworth W900 (or maybe they are from the Revell USA Peterbilt 359).

06Outside.jpg

thanks didnt know it was that simple those are some beautiful trucks. its a built up that needs to be restored all it nedds that i can tell is the front wheels and tires and fuel tanks but im gonna add a few custom touches to it

James, there was a Bison kit on eb yesterday with a $25.00 BIN price - just checked on it, someone bid on it for opening bid. (why they didn't pop for the extra $5.00 and seal the deal :rolleyes: )

The box was rough but kit looked good.

Jim, those are two fantastic looking trucks. B)

its ok if i get the titan i bid on i'll be busy..barely have $30 left on my payroll card from working this summerand this one is 15 +10 shipping so it is what it is

I found a kit that is painted and assembled it just has fallen apart so im going to redo it to my standards...looks like all it needs is the front axle and rims(and front tires but i think i have them covered if the tires are the same in the diamond reo) so hopefully when the auction ends i can get it here as soon as possible