Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 Corvette "C1RS Custom" UPDATE: Finished in Under Glass

Kennyboy

This build will be a low, mean, black machine. Inspiration for this was the beautiful black 62 C1RS that is all over the net.

3826343573_f1aca76b26_zps5950b1b0.jpg

Yep that would be it.

My model will look "similar" to this car........not exact though.

-I have chosen 23" Pegasus T's for the wheels (which will be tucked to provide a low stance.)

-The chassis/suspension is from a 96 Grand Sport that will be fitted to the existing body (with a lot of cutting and splicing.)

-The engine is the aluminum LS7 from the 2012 Z06 Corvette.

-Brembo brakes will handle the stopping.

I'm sure I will add more along the way........ 1st and foremost though, I would like to thank a few individuals who have been outstanding in providing components to this build.

Special thanks to:

Neal "outlaw035" (for the donation of the gluebomb body/chassis)

Mike Adams "Toylvr" (for the donation of the grille/front bumper)

Darrin "gray07" (for the donation of the hood I did not have)

Edited by Kennyboy

To any that have built the '62 Corvette kit before....man the windshield is (was) thick!!

Not anymore! I sanded it to half the thickness it was and re-polished it to clear. The car will have the windshield of the vehicle above so you can see the top of the glass without the frame on it.

P1010870_zps78d97e58.jpg

P1010872_zps9e2c981c.jpg

P1010874_zpse84dd7af.jpg

Neat project Ken, good luck with it!

If those wheels are not an exact match, there are those aluminum drum sets, with tires, then have the centers 3D created & printed, to get more exactly the same wheels as the 1:1

Thanks Jeremy! I have some Tamiya wheels that were very similar to the 1:1 wheels, but the more I looked at the 1:1.... I didn't really like the wheels.

Will have some mockup shots of the T's soon.

I agree with you Ken, the wheels on the 1:1 are a bit to thin spoke, possibly to busy for the rest of the styling, the front grill modified is made quite robust, and the side body coloring also in large block style, so wheels that follow that pattern would be a better choice IMO

Ok, so the T's were not staggered annnnd they needed to be......

I ended up sanding off the backside almost flush to the "hub" of the wheel or 1/4", then found another pair of tires in the parts box that were narrower.

P1010875_zpsc212e434.jpg

P1010876_zps92e16861.jpg

P1010878_zps1de2c87f.jpg

P1010880_zps10e7564f.jpg

As they say at Wendy's "Now that's better."

Edited by Kennyboy

Very NICE project, I think you nailed the stance and made the right choice on the wheels, you got a color in mind or is it going to be black? :D

Thanks Larry! At this time, I think it is going to be black with satin black and red accents. Not sure if I will paint the centers of the wheels though.....hmmm. :)

an excellent choice, this car is in my future projects folder where I've saved reference photos.

hopefully people will have forgotten about your build by the time I finally get around to this "future project". :)

:lol: I plan to twist it around a little Mike so you could still build it like the 1:1 and it would be different than mine. Would be cool to see another one. B)

Thanks Mike, Carl, and Jason!

Opened up the ZR1 exhaust outlets yesterday and made the exhaust fit the manifolds and also lengthwise on the car.

Started opening the grilles on the front end. (they will have stainless mesh behind them.)

Pics soon! Thanks for following.....