Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Revell-Monogram Decals

Folks, I have an issue. I drove down to Model Empire in West Allis, WI, and picked up a couple of older Revellogram race car kits, both IMSA/SCCA Mustangs. I just put the Folgers #50 together, and went to lay the first decal on the hood of the car. And it's the thickest, most inflexible, goo-coated thing I've used in years... which reminded me why I used to hate the IMSA/SCCA Mustangs! The later Camaros had no such issues.

I've found replacement decals for the old Monogram Miller Mustang (red & white #6) from Strada Sports in Missouri, but does anybody make sheets for the IMSA/SCCA Mustangs? (And if not, does anybody have an old Penn Gwen Merkur XR4Ti transkit that they aren't using right now?) Thanks for the help.

• 2 months later...

Hey, folks, it's Bear again. After kvetching about the decals in an old Monogram SCCA Mustang kit I bought, I found the solution by accident on Ebay. Look up Jim Heller; his shop makes a huge variety of decals for all manner of model cars, from the 1/24 scale stuff I build all the way down to HO-scale slot cars. I've ordered up a replacement set for the Mustang and a BFGoodrich set for a Porsche 962 I have half-completed on the workbench. I'll let you know how these decals pan out. Thanks to dimaxion and kitbash1 for the assist!

• 4 weeks later...

Not yet; I'm trying to finish up with my final semester of RN school, but the chassis has been cobbled together bit by bit over the last few months. I'm also doing the No. 6 Miller Mustang kit at the same time, plus some aircraft stuff. My wife is starting to think I'm having an affair, and her name is Revell ;)

• 6 months later...

Hey, it's the Bear again. Finally got a chance to finish up the Monogram Mustang IMSA; went with Heller's reprint of the original kit decals for the #11 Motorcraft Mustang from about '85-'86. The decals are thickish, but flexible, and really didn't need much in the way of coaxing from Micro Sol to fit in place. They were reprinted onto clear decal paper, though, and that's a bit of a problem when you have decals overlaying the big red striped areas--the "O" (for IMSA's GTO class) and the Mac Tools and Turbo Blue race fuel decals don't really stand out from their new background. No worries, though--my client at a local car dealership really liked the completed project, and I'm rustling up another kit to build... maybe the reissue of the BRE Datsun 510? I'll send pictures to the site once I figure out just how to do that. Seriously, this guy does produce some great looking stuff; check him out on eBay. L8tr!