Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell "Orange Crate" '32 Ford Sedan Hot Rod

Casey

Looking forward to building this one. Have a couple of the pre- resin hood. What stopped me was when all of the chrome is cleaned up it needs to be replated. Plan to use alclad for the chrome.

Hope they clean this one up a bit

What is the best orange to use for this?

bobthehobbyguy

Omaha orange (state orange to most of us) but competition, or bright orange is very close.

Kinda strange, the ad says that it's in "unrestored original condition", but the original didn't have all of the flames, or the dark orange pearl paint that I see in the pictures they show. Either this isn't THE Orange Crate, or it has been re-done, (I would bet on that).

Edited by horsepower

Kinda strange, the ad says that it's in "unrestored original condition", but the original didn't have all of the flames, or the dark orange pearl paint that I see in the pictures they show. Either this isn't THE Orange Crate, or it has been re-done, (I would bet on that).

I believe that it had been redone for the 75th anniversary of the 32 Ford at the roadster show .display

Just love the guy selling it. doesn't give builder credit and doesn't know that it has been restored. For that asking price he should know what he's talking about.

bobthehobbyguy

i think 150k$ is a pretty fair asking price for a car with provenance like the orange krate. if i had the money i would consider it. the ad writer is obviously a bit not with it on several fronts, including that "arguably the best selling model in hot rodding history" part. the model hasnt even been in production over the years since its inception, has it? and sometimes when selling a car its best to separate yourself from the car as much as possible so when it wont start on monday morning, you dont go back saying "you said this and you said that". the car does speak for itself very well especially in the case of such an iconic rod.

i wish i had the money. and the museum space to store it.

One of the past HRJ's had a detailed feature article on all the history of the car with extensive photos of the restored car. Revell said at last falls hobby show in Chicago the release will have a plastic hood.

I'm pretty sure the kit I got is the new release but I'm not positive. It does have the resin hood. Does any one know how to tell by the box numbers or if there is a date on there somwhere? I'm at work now but can check when i get home.

Does any one know how to tell by the box numbers or if there is a date on there somwhere? I

It will have the silver "Car Show" logo at the upper left on the box top, as well as the "12+", "Skill 3", etc.

OkI just checked mine out. It is the last issue fo it. Theres no skill level on it and it has a 1999 copyright date. I had assumed it was the newer one becase the guy I got it from had 4 or 5 five of them and mostly new kits at his table. So its still a question whether new one has the resin hood or not.

I really doubt that you could even pay the chrome bill for the 150k, much less even start to put a "true" copy of this car together for anything less than probably 350k. Probably more in the 1/2 a mill territory.
I think 150 would be a real deal, now if I had just won that stupid Mega Lotto. :P

You bought the just-reissued version or an issue from the last reissue, about ten years ago? Just trying to clarify if the just-reissued version includes a resin hood or not.

Just picked one up at my LHS today. He just got them in yesterday :)IMG_76902.jpg

This new version includes a STYRENE hood, as seen here:

IMG_76912.jpg

Take a look at the box...contents MOLDED IN USA!!! I can't believe there is some old tooling that DIDN'T go to China! But the new styrene hood is China made...

Jeff,

Would you be kind enough to post pics of the rest of the kit, I wondering if they cleaned up the molds ?

Thanks,

Pete L.

I'd love to see a close up of the front tires, please.
;)

I'll get the pics taken this evening...gotta get more done outside before the rains come!
;)

I just picked up one, started building, and poor fit, lots of flash and ejector marks. instruction sheet, miss leading, at least to me. installed the rear end 3 tims, as it keep breaking off. on the good side, nice motor, body, and front tires and wheels. but in the end, those were the only parts that survied, after bouncing it off the wall