Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Moebius Ford Pick-ups 1971 Ranger XLT AND 1969 Custom SWB

SteveG

I hope these are in the same scale as the AMT 61-63 F-100s. I want to use the pieces I have left over to replicate this bed that as sold in Argentina:

I'm assuming Moebius will produce these in 1:25, so you should be good there... IF the old AMT kits were close to their listed 1:25.

I cut up a 61 F-100 that had wrecked rear wheel wells and the cab fits perfectly on both an AM 1:25 92-96 F-150 frame and a Lindberg 97-03 F-150 frame. The tail light section will need work to fit the bumpside box anyways, so as long as its close I'm good to go. :)

I hope these are in the same scale as the AMT 61-63 F-100s. I want to use the pieces I have left over to replicate this bed that as sold in Argentina:

The upcoming Moebius line of 70's Ford pickups is 1/25 scale, just like the AMT 61-63 F-100s.

B)

Same here. Between the '69 and '71 kits, I should have more than enough main ingredients to FINALLY replicate my grandfather's '68 Custom Cab longbox- the first Bumpside to play a significant role in my life. My great uncle pretty much owned a series of these, even though I can only personally remember a couple of them.

Given Moebius' track record with bringing out variants of its existing car kits, and the fact every automotive release from them is better than the last, I think there will be quite a few varaitions on the Bumpside theme from Moebius in the coming years. Not a bad deal at all, if you ask this cat. B)

I asked my cat. All he would say was "I'm hungry!" Oh well, I tried....

Are you kidding me? I've been waiting for this kit to come out for forever. I built a 68 LWB from the ground up and wondered why didn't any kit builder ever tool this one? Not the popular year I guess. Thanks Moebius for getting a clue. Here is a pic of my 68.... and the 69 grill is all the same. Cant wait to build the model.

Mike

IMG_0811-vi.jpg

Not only that kit,but just about every one released under the "Model King" label. The '72 Blazer and the Racer's Wedge and Camper were overpriced also. I especially didn't like having to buy a Cougar funny car and trailer just to get a Bronco. It's odd that you could buy the funny car separate,but you couldn't buy the Bronco separate. :rolleyes:To me, he's just a middle man that's throwing another company's product into his box,then charging whatever he wants. Sorry, but I'm not paying extra $ just for a box. I would pay an extra $5 for the short bed, but anything over that, I'll just do without it. I'll have plenty of the '71 long beds to keep me busy. ;)

Good. That'll leave more ModelKing releases for the rest of us.

PS: You are so wrong about the ModelKing kits. If Dave Burket did not put his own money up to have them produced, they would never have been produced. He had to pay a lot more to the manufacturer(s) for the special ModelKing releases than the manufacturers invest in their own.

Long live Dave Burket ... and his willingness to risk his investments in our hobby!

B)

I don't care which Dave gets the money as long as I can get a case of each one.

I owned a 73 with a 390 big block out of a 69 t-bird.It was a mean old truck but never failed to start.I miss those days of scrounging the local junkyards for spare parts.I broke more than one inside door handle.Too bad todays 1-1's don't interchange through the years like these old work horses did.The title said '73 but I believe it had parts from'69 to '77 on it.Still ran like a scalded dog.

The '73-77 Generation was quite similar in design to the '67-72 as far as the 'hard parts' (chassis, suspension, drivetrain, etc.), so parts swapping is not only possible, but you'd be well in the ballpark as far as accuracy. If you have that Model King '79, or any of the '70's AMT Ford pickup annuals, combining the bodies from those with the chassis and engines from these upcoming Moebius kits and you'll be able to make a pretty good model of pretty much any Ford F-series from the '70's you'd want to replicate. And there is absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever that the engines, drivelines, and rolling chassis in these will be several steps above the old AMT stuff in terms of detail present. Another reason I'll be buying more than just a handful of them once they're out.

Theoretically, yes. But I'm certain the Moebius chassis will be infinitely better detailed and more accurate than the old AMT warhorse.

I don't doubt that, but the new kits are 2wd, so detailed or not... :P

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think the Model King truck was an F350, so maybe the Bronco would be a better donor?

The AMT '79 Ford is an F-350. Ford still used the solid front axle on the '67-'72s. I'm thinking the TTB didn't come along until '80 with the new design,but I could be wrong on that.

Thanks

Continuing on the what if thoughts, the bed from the 53, 55 or 56 kits could be used for a stepside with these kits correct? I understand there was little to no change in the bed from the 50s to the 70s.

Thanks

Continuing on the what if thoughts, the bed from the 53, 55 or 56 kits could be used for a stepside with these kits correct? I understand there was little to no change in the bed from the 50s to the 70s.

Aaron,

If I am not mistaken, the stepside bed was the same from 1955 through 1979. When they went to the squared body in 1980 Ford redesigned the stepside to reflect the new body style.

Guys, if there is one thing I can say about Moebius and model car/truck kits: They are NOT in the business of one-version-only "One Hit Wonder" model kits. This ride could get very interesting!!!

Art

Thanks Art, now I gotta tell my youngest that she won't be going to college because some model kit company is bringing out a bunch of different versions of a model kit that I have waited 40 years for!!!!! ;):D

Actually, that is great news as I , like many others, have multiple builds milling about in my head. I sure hope they do give us some variations of this kit and at some point a 4wd version!

I can see this truck with the Midnite Cowboy wrecker bed, a Modelhaus utility bed, a scratchbuilt flatbed, a step side bed, maybe even a scratchbuilt dump bed! If I can, I will even incorporate the snow plow from the new Revell GMC kit!