Model Cars Magazine Forum

I got friends and family back in Newport Rhode Island whom I spoke to and there is heavy flooding and lots of damage.

Newport being a seaside town with lots of history in sailing,jvc jazz fest,and the international tennis hall of fame plus other things have weathered lot of severe storms in the past but we hadnt seen anything like this at home since the 38 hurricane,so when the sun comes up the pics of the damage from home will be heart breaking.

Well as of this morning, things have quieted down somewhat. My power is still on and never did go out during the night. There are areas around me that have no power, but I'm thankful this one was not as destructive as Lee was last year. My job has shut down for the day.............that's all well and good as it can give me some more time for building! :D

Of course the storm's not done, as it's starting to curve toward the north, and there's still the possibility of the storm stalling and sending high river water our way. :o

This morning it's pretty calm and not much damage in the yard .. just small branches. Looks like the coastal areas .. CT, MA and RI got the worst with New Jersey taking the brunt of it. My son in NJ says it's a bit wet there and the beach is downtown shopping.

im southeast of Cleveland and we had 50 to 60 mph winds last night, sustained wind today of 30 to 40 mph and it hasn't stopped raining since saturday. nothing compared to the coast, but it shows how far this one is getting inland. i hope the damage in minimal to none for all and everyone is safe.

Power out since last night at 11pm, fired up the generator, running my tv, 2 fish tanks, sump pump and refrigerator , my mom lives next door, also running her refrigerator and tv off same generator, hope all Is well with everyone else.

Edited by Prostreet

Power out since last night at 11pm, fired up the generator, running my tv, 2 fish tanks, sump pump and refrigerator , my mom lives next door, also running her refrigerator and tv off same generator,

I like your priorities ... beer, TV and fishing! Hope you're restored soon.

I'm in eastern Connecticut, supposedly on the "bad side" of the storm as far as the wind goes. Well it did blow pretty good but I only lost power fro a few seconds 5 times. But never lost it for good. I think all the constant tree trimming around my area did the trick this time!

Had my generator all set to go but never had to pull that starter cord!

Living in Iowa don't look so bad at times like these.

I'm in Mid-North Indiana (25 miles from Illinois), and never in my 68 yrs have I seen a hurricane on the Atlantic Coast (I'm more than 900 miles from NYC!) reach this far inland. The advance layer of high, thin clouds gradually blotted out the full moon overnight, showers in the works for today, freezing rain in eastern Indiana, snow just over the line in Ohio, and on Lake Michigan (110 miles due north of me, 50mph winds coming down the full 400 mile length of the lake, whipping up 25' seas.

If it's like this in Indiana today, from a tropical hurricane, I cannot begin to imagine what it's like for all those right in the middle of it!

Art

I've been in forced nomadism for most of the day.

I returned from my friend's apartment this morning and found my road closed. So, I just went and did some window-shopping and killed some time. I returned to my end of town, and saw a my road still somewhat closed, but it appeared possibly open to residents; the guy from Mass Electric wasn't too sure how it was working. So, I decided to try going down the street, and was greeted with electric lines strewn across the street. I'm at Wendy's now, grabbing a quick bite for lunch and checking e-Mail...glad I grabbed my laptop when I abandoned ship last night.

I'll be heading home shortly- or at least trying to.

Charlie Larkin

Here's the beach I've gone to since I was a teenager.... The round thing in the middle is a carousel. The road is completely covered by beach sand that was washed up and over the embankment that used to be there. You can see all the telephone poles but you can't see the road! At about 11:00 from the point of the carousel roof is a club called The Atlantis where my wife and I had our first date 32 years ago. Hope it's still there... Just above the airplane's wingtip you can see some mobile homes. That area right there was a campground and had lot's of campers in there. Looks like there were a few that the owners didn't heed the warnings!

Sandy03-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

From the line of rocks you can see here, the beach was at least 100' down to the waterline! Not now...

Sandy04-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This or WAS..my favorite night spot on the beach...Paddy's. Always had great bands playing in the evenings and great food. Hope they rebuild but I dunno...total loss!

Sandy02-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Sandy01-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

An aerial view of what used to be Paddy's.. Again you can see the telephone poles but the road is covered with beach sand...

Sandy05-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Terry Sumner

The pictures make my heart ache when I see this destruction. I think of all the things some families lost including loved ones. But on the other hand I am also thankful for all of those who were spared major damage. Like others said my minnesota home doesn't look so bad now.

My heart goes out to those hit with heavy damage from the storm. We were lucky here in my home in the middle of PA. The wind wasn't too bad, a few gusts of about 50mph max. The power blinked here, but never went out. My basement got some puddles of water on the floor, but that's it. It could have been much worse.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

The aftermath in NJ.... I moved from the NJ Shore to Exton, PA two years ago. I still own a house there that my two daughter live in. My daughters were evacuated and came to my house and thankfully my house was spared without any damage.

keansburg3-vi.jpg

Our house is on 9th Street. 1st Street is the water. Here's the parallel street in the next town over, Keansburg, NJ

350_3829787023781_1163103586_n-vi.jpg

Here's what Keyport, NJ looks like.

100312_UnionBeach-vi.jpg

Union Beach, NJ. My favorite waterfront house, stood there over 100 years, gone! The first two blocks are completely gone.

keansburgbumpercar-vi.jpg

Keansburg, NJ. One of the shore's oldest boardwalks. Wiped out. This one was special because they still had all the 1930s rides in operation. All destroyed.

100312_UnionBeach-vi.jpg

Union Beach, NJ. My favorite waterfront house, stood there over 100 years, gone! The first two blocks are completely gone.

This house is on Front St. about half a mile south of where my brother lived until Sandy hit. His house is also unliveable, the ground floor and contents basically gone.