Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Joe... Thanks man. I have been trying to treat each little area as their own model.

Bob... Thanks for the kind words.

David... Thank you. I shot you a PM back earlier today.

Dave.... Thanks bud. I can tell you this that there have been many times during this build that things have taken me much longer than they probably should of but seeing it all come together now has made it work the extra time I have put into it or the multiple times I have redone stuff that I wasn't happy with.

Alyn.... Thanks man. I am not sure if I had seen anyone do one like this before but I know there are way better builders out there than me that are on this site.

Danno... You are right about that. I can't wait to finish this build. I am sure it will be tuff for me to top it but I do have 2 1/16th scale builds in store that I will debut when I finish this one ;)

Ok Fellas.... I got some more work done today. I got the over flow tank installed and it's just about done, other than I need to paint the breather alclad chrome and install it. Here is what I have accomplished so far today....

I started out with some Competition Resins Part #CRA-002 Roll Bar Padding that I was using to represent the overflow hose, got them cut to size:

DP-Army-Vega3765-1_zps1d2d4909.jpg

I then pulled out the source for my zip ties/worm clamps:

DP-Army-Vega3772-1_zps2801ad60.jpg

Up-close shot of them:

DP-Army-Vega3773-1_zps481ba82f.jpg

Here I got the overflow tank mounted and installed the zip ties/worm clams on to the hose:

DP-Army-Vega3783-1_zpsda47ef6f.jpg

another angle:

DP-Army-Vega3784-1_zpsa37c0345.jpg

Top View:

DP-Army-Vega3786-1_zps7a6a5717.jpg

I still need to add a little bit of a black wash into the recess of the overflow cap and then get the breather painted. What to work on next.....hmmmm any suggestions?? :oB)

Ok Fellas.... I got some more work done today. I got the over flow tank installed and it's just about done, other than I need to paint the breather alclad chrome and install it. Here is what I have accomplished so far today....

I started out with some Competition Resins Part #CRA-002 Roll Bar Padding that I was using to represent the overflow hose, got them cut to size:

DP-Army-Vega3765-1_zps1d2d4909.jpg

I then pulled out the source for my zip ties/worm clamps:

DP-Army-Vega3772-1_zps2801ad60.jpg

Up-close shot of them:

DP-Army-Vega3773-1_zps481ba82f.jpg

Here I got the overflow tank mounted and installed the zip ties/worm clams on to the hose:

DP-Army-Vega3783-1_zpsda47ef6f.jpg

another angle:

DP-Army-Vega3784-1_zpsa37c0345.jpg

Top View:

DP-Army-Vega3786-1_zps7a6a5717.jpg

I still need to add a little bit of a black wash into the recess of the overflow cap and then get the breather painted. What to work on next.....hmmmm any suggestions?? :oB)

Chris.......work on that Engine Brother :) ..........looking Far-Out man........love it!!!!! :wub:

Brad.... Thanks Bud!! I know you will enjoy seeing the Engine come to life ;) . Going to be working on that as well as I have to repaint the lower portion of the chassis tins and I think I will be re painting the side tins as well to make sure they all match.

Bob... Yea I have been dying to see more of this motor come together and am actually excited to start working on it again.

Dave.... LOL... You are right now that I have the back half pretty much all buttoned up I need to move forward :D.

So I will be going back to work on the engine and getting parts prepped for paint. I need to do a little work on the block and fix a few spots I had drilled thru a while back as well as fill some spots on the heads. Then when I paint the heads i will be painting a bunch of other parts I need to button up.... for example the steering gear box, the breather for the oil tank, the gas pedal as well as redoing the chassis tins and the plates that go under the seat. Trying to get a whole bunch of parts ready to paint at the same time. I am pretty excited to say the least. B)

Steve.... Thanks man! I am hoping so ;)

Well Fellas.... I have started the next phase of this project. I started to tear the engine down last night and marked the block where i need to fix a few spots. a couple were from me drilling thru some walls and there were a few pin holes that needs to be filled. Hopefully I can have the block ready for primer later today....

Here is the Engine torn down:

DP-Army-Vega3798-1_zpsbd7fde75.jpg

Here is the right side of the block:

DP-Army-Vega3798-1_zpsbd7fde75.jpg

And the Left side of the block:

DP-Army-Vega3803-1_zps8d9acf7d.jpg

Brad... thanks bud. I sure hope I can do this engine some justice. I can't wait to see it come together as well.

Danno.... Yes I am motivated. and if lucky..... I may bring it to the swap meet next weekend ;) +

Hello Fellas.... well I haven't gotten any bench time in the past two days but I have been cleaning out my hobby room and re-organizing it. I picked up a new little storage cabinet to keep things in and I think I want to get another one so I can get rid of the rack you see in the pics. I have the hobby room finish with re-organizing it but I still need clean things up on the shelfs. Here is my hobby room....

Here is walking into the room:

PlasticModels506-1_zps2e73ed7a.jpg

Straight on shot of the work bench:

PlasticModels503-1_zps4dad3a9c.jpg

Here is the new cabinet:

PlasticModels505-1_zps982a52da.jpg

First things first, I still remember back in the olden days when you started on the engine. Second things second, your room needs more clutter and stuff. Third things last, you need another shelf so you can get more stuff.

Good to see the motor out again Chris. Keep rockin'.

Bill... Thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to read all 116 pages of this build. I know it had to take a while to read.

Joe... Thanks buddy. I have to tell you that it feels great to be back on the engine for this build. Another shelf would be good but what I didn't show is a closet full of kits... Lol

Joe.... Thanks bud.... You know I was wondering how long it was gonna take for someone to notice that...lol it didn't take long.... haha. I have two builds ready to go after this F/C is finished. I will say this both are 1/16th scale builds. The one that is blurred out I picked up right after I started the funny car over 2 1/2 years ago and have had this build on my mind ever since. I have been wanting to start it really bad too lol.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Bandwidth and Storage space is two different things bud. Maybe you should either upgrade or try facebook out as a photo hosting host. I use facebook personally myself. Just right click, copy image location and then come here and like you would be posting just right click, and hit paste.

I really love your project build here, I been following it basically since day 1. Keep up the great work!