Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nightmare Kits CBP - aka Masochistic Modelers Anonymous

Jantrix

20130121_143932.jpg20130117_213515.jpg20130121_144314.jpg20130118_103039.jpg20130121_144127.jpg Got a little done over the week end. Got the seats figured out and whats gonna happen with em. Swivels are coming to mind. I snatched the rear suspension from the 37 sedan kit. Rear didnt take much to fit just a little masaging of the trailing arms and spacer for the chunk. Wheels from the copperhead snap tite. The front frame is geting a saw taking to it and replaced with some evergren stock. Dechromed the body and attempted to fit the front bumper. I dont think its ment to fit. Leaves a huge gap under the headlights that I vould pitch a small child through. Rear bumper gets split and molded in along with rest of the chrome back there. Also toying with hinge ideas and haven't settled on anything yet. Its screaming a full suicide hinge works package. Also gonna get some test shots of color before long.

Man... I think I'd rather seriously maim somebody to get my hands on that kit! Love those old AMT Styline kits. :D

Chuck, they show up on ebay regularly, but they are starting to get pricey. I got this particular one from a friend on another forum, but I dont think I spent more than $20 including shipping.

Been thinking about joining in, but some of you guys are spoiled :lol: If its not one of those opening-everything-huge-flash-nothing-fits Revell kits, one needs to grow some cajones. Gluebombs Are NOT included in my criticism. I've got this mess of a Ranchero. Belive me, it took every method possible to strip it. There's some yucky corderoy glued onto the seats. No idea how to fix that one......

000_0722-vi.jpg

DSCN0817-vi.jpg

What did you do that poor old Ranchero?? That is one of my favorite old kits and I have a collection of old customs done off it from the original era.

IMG_2396-vi.jpg.

Here's an original custom nose on an original piece I restored. A fellow modeler gave it to me all apart and badly stripped. The body was broken into a couple pieces. So I cleaned it up and restored it to it's former glory.

Mvc001s-vi.jpg

Another '61 restored from a beat up kids toy. It had a lot of play wear scratches and nicks. The drip rails were completely gone.

60_ranchero1-vi.jpg

Here's another one brought back from the dead. I used an old Falcon promo grill to make it a 1960 Ranchero. All the emblems and door handles were shaved off so I drilled holes where they would have been and did a car in primer getting ready for paint.

60_ranchero5-vi.jpg

The interior was shot on this one and I built it prior to the reissue in the 1990s, so I made an interior from the back half of a '66 T-Bird tub. It fits wonderfully and I used the Ranchero dash with it. That could work for yours as well.

and I've got a bunch of cool old builds I have cleaned up, touched up and preserved. Follow the link... http://public.fotki.com/ModelCitizen/model_cars/old_customs/rockin_ranchero/

Edited by Tom Geiger

Dang Tom, you're the Ranchero master. I thought I had it covered, but my stuff is no comparison! The best one I've got, besides the ones in progress, is this. Will re-do it in Tamiya Maroon. I love the idea of of a T-Bird interior. Woulda never thought of that!

DSCN0665-vi.jpg

Edited by Draggon

OK, am I too late for this? hope not, I'm gonna attempt 2 at the same time, which I like to call The Saint, & The Sinner, both are Hasegawa promo's, bothe are '66s one is the Pontiac Bonneville, the other a Cadillac De Ville, here some shots:

Now in my Lil mind, I'm gonna attempt to take both of these and turn them in detail kits, rather then curbside.

100_0767_zpsc7a9e735.jpg

100_0769_zps3b130605.jpg

Here is where we have started:

100_0797_zps239e1de7.jpg

100_0790_zpsc44e4a54.jpg

Here we are at right now, as I cut out the hood to The Saint, smooth'd and removing the hood:

100_0807_zps6dc8a0e4.jpg

Hasegawa? Sheesh, now thats one recipie for descruction. Go for it MIchael!

LMBO, yea I really did'nt think that would break any hearts, what fun this will be, but I have searched, an have come across a '65 Catalina frame, not the best but I can make it look good, it fits the body of the '66 Bonnie, wheeeeeeeeee, look ma no hands!

Man, this engine is almost too nice...goes together nicely - making some spark plug boot things...

3FA949DC-F702-4713-AF94-CFC55530E84F-745

A question about the blower - I am clueless on these set ups - there are three pulleys on the belt. What does the middle pulley attach to on a real car? It just is there on the kit and its tough to find reference shots showing behind the pulleys.

A question about the blower - I am clueless on these set ups - there are three pulleys on the belt. What does the middle pulley attach to on a real car? It just is there on the kit and its tough to find reference shots showing behind the pulleys.

The third pulley is an adjustable idler, usually on a swinging arm of some sort...different blower drives use slightly different arrangements...to tension the belt, take the slack out so it doesn't sling off the pulleys.

Your engine looks really good, by the way.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm a glutton for punishment, and I've been thinking of converting the seriously under-scale Revell '34 (the one on the Buttera frame, NOT the snapper with the too-short hood) into a '34 Fiat Balilla. It's about the right size for that. This mess...

143137688_o.jpg

to this...

20081019-119-1934-Fiat%20Balilla-05.JPG

or this...

67CW0026%20Fiat%20Balilla%20Coppa%20D%27

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Now THATS one ambitious project Bill. I've got a few of these "saints" things, I think they are worse than Palmers. I did do an old school build in the 80's based upon this body and the frame from the AMT Willys/32 Ford double kit, but when my buddy pointed out the probs with the body, I totally lost interest.

Now THATS one ambitious project Bill. I've got a few of these "saints" things, I think they are worse than Palmers. I did do an old school build in the 80's based upon this body and the frame from the AMT Willys/32 Ford double kit, but when my buddy pointed out the probs with the body, I totally lost interest.

Yeah, the one I've got came with a Willys and the reworked Orange Crate in a 3fer pack. I used the tube frame as the basis for a Pontiac Powered Pikes Peak hillclimb-car, and i've been trying to figure out what to do with the rest of it. The little cycle-fender sports thing wouldn't be too hard, as there were a lot of side-street coachbuilders in Italy and many versions got cobbled up, so screaming accuracy isn't an issue...just get the feel of the thing.That still leaves me stuck with the fenders though, which I'd thought about putting an old Austin Bantam body on. Hmmmm.