Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can anyone identify this car ( and tell me if it's "kitted"? )

Okay. My nephews watched "Once Upon A Time" this week and saw Cruella De Vil's car on the screen, and immediately wanted it. I did some research and all I could come up with was it was SIMILAR TO the Panther De Ville that Disney used in the live movie "101 Dalmations". But THIS one looks nothing like Glen Close's car from the movie.

The movie car... '77 ~ '84 Panther De Ville

800px-Cruella_de_Vil_Panther.jpg

The car on "Once Upon A Time"

15934638172_4594cb03bf_o_zpssrzsw62k.jpg

15909484686_6b3b652fe2_o_zpsv9k70trq.jpg

Thoughts? Ideas?

This second one looks more like a Rolls Royce to me...

The car from "Once Upon a Time" is a Zimmer Golden Spirit coupe. Looks like about a mid-1980's version with a few kustom touches, including the ultra-superfly side-pipes removed from the hood, and somewhat more "tasteful" chrome louvers added instead.

85zgs1.jpg

Zimmer also built the "Quicksilver", a stretched Fiero (which I actually kinda like), a 4-door thing that looks like the Golden Spirit but with more to love, and some limos (Saudis like 'em).

Zimmer Quicksilver

Zimmer_Quicksilver.jpg

You're welcome. B)

The Panther DeVille, by the way, is a "neo-classic" (ugly and poorly-proportioned) copy of the Bugatti Royale.

1932-bugatti-royale-type-41_100433944_l.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The first photo looks like it has a Bugatti grille on it. There is an older kit of a '31 Bugatti Royale. Probably as close as you're gonna get. I actually have one still. The second car looks like one of those ugly ass Hollywood Frankenstein's monsters!! Steve

Hmmm...unless I'm reading-impaired, the OP doesn't want a kit of the first car...the Panther DeVille (crapppy Bugatti clone).

He wants a model of the second car, the one his nephews saw on the TV series "Once Upon a Time"...which is a Zimmer (post 6).

Hmmm...unless I'm reading-impaired, the OP doesn't want a kit of the first car...the Panther DeVille (crapppy Bugatti clone).

He wants a model of the second car, the one his nephews saw on the TV series "Once Upon a Time"...which is a Zimmer (post 6).

Sorry Bill. I thought the OP was looking for something "similar". Or maybe I'm reading impaired. Thankfully, I don't think anyone has probably kitted anything that heinous! Steve

LOL! The responses to this are a riot!

Yup, I don't need the crappy first car, I'm looking for the crappy second car, so it looks like I'll be looking for a lost cause Zimmer. Ohh well, at least I can let them know what it is, LOL!

Thanks guys, especially Ace!

well...there is a model kit of an Excaliber but not that particular body style.

I seem to recall there was a build thread here about a 1/12 scale version.

You could kitbash something similar by starting with a Mercedes 540 and melding in a Buick GN...

well...there is a model kit of an Excaliber but not that particular body style.

I seem to recall there was a build thread here about a 1/12 scale version.

You could kitbash something similar by starting with a Mercedes 540 and melding in a Buick GN...

This is the second mention of Excalibur in this thread. Neither of the cars show in Allen's posting here, post #1, is a Excalibur. Nor car shown in Bill's post, #6. Excaliburs have a much more Mercedes Benz look.

Scott

Ok... to eliminate all the confusion here.....

I am looking for THIS CAR in model scale... The car on "Once Upon A Time".... a Zimmer Golden Spirit Coupe...

15934638172_4594cb03bf_o_zpssrzsw62k.jpg

15909484686_6b3b652fe2_o_zpsv9k70trq.jpg

Now, all the confusion stems from what Wikipedia and the CW website says about the car from "101 Dalmations". They keep trying to ID the car as the "Panther De Ville", which is the WRONG CAR for the TV series. That car was used in the MOVIE "101 Dalmations", driven by Glenn Close, and bears a resemblance to a Bugatti.

So... Panther De Ville aka Bugatti aka Excalibur = BAD.

Zimmer Golden Spirit Coupe = GOOD.

Thanks all for the assist on this. Looks like I will need to customize something if I intend to build this car....

Edited by Drake69

So... Panther De Ville aka Bugatti aka Excalibur = BAD.

Okay, again why the Excalibur refrence? The Excalibur looks nothing like a Panther De Ville or Bugatti. Early Excaliburs look like late '20s Mercedes SSKs. Later models look like the big Benzs of the mid to late '30s.

Scott

ebay a box of junk thirties kits and pic-n-pull until it looks right.

Well at one paint that was a Foxbody Mustang

Correct. If you look carefully at the door details like the handle recess, its relationship to the character line, the shape of the side windows, and the shape of the windshield, it's pretty obvious what Zimmer started with here.

ba74395d65cca6b437a8d8f474109885.jpg

The Revell kit would give you doors, roof, front and side glass, a firewall, floorpan, etc. Most of the rest of the body is fairly flat panels relatively easily scratch-built from sheet styrene. Even the grille shell is pretty simple. The fenders, as suggested above, could be sourced from a cheap Ebay gluebomb "classic" and modified to look right.

Zimmer has also used other Mustang tubs for the basis of their gaudy, tasteless cars.

ebayzimmer_3.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The Zimmer website says that their cars are based on a brand new Ford Mustang or Lincoln 4 door sedan. The website doesn't appear to be updated since 2013, and their used Zimmer price guide stops in the late 1980s, as if they have been out of production. Irony is that the mailing address is a residence and they make mention that the pricing is FOB Syracuse, NY. Their ordering information is a bit simple... send us a check for 60% and wait six months for delivery.

The new 2015 ZIMMERS are now available. The 2-door model is based on a new 2015 Mustang GT, fully loaded.

The 2015 Zimmer pricing* will be:

MODELMSRP

2-Door Coupe$218,700

2-Door Convert$238,700

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 1 year later...