Model Cars Magazine Forum

Acura NSX - Updated 12-1

Steve Keck

This is one of my favorites cars. The prototypes wheels look great. I have a question for you, are u familiar with the sherline 4530 lathe if so. can you recommend the right size tools or parts that I will need to make my own wheel. I am planning on buying this lathe. thanks for any help in advanced!

That pattern on the seat inserts works very well. Nice shading/detailing on the chassis parts too.

what did you use for the wash on the exhaust/muffler?

the seats do look very cool

Thanks! The seats were done with Modeler's carbon kevlar decals. The door panels will also have the CK decals.

The wash is thinned Tamiya Smoke, X-19.

are u familiar with the sherline 4530 lathe if so. can you recommend the right size tools or parts that I will need to make my own wheel.

William, the zero hand wheels are a good choice.

To turn the sleeves or rims:

In addition to what is included in the 4530 package you will need a tailstock Jacobs drill chuck and chuck key to hold drill bits.

Centering drill bits, part no. 3021, are necessary for starting holes.

Regular drill bits will enlarge the hole to the approximate inside diameter.

A boring tool, part no. 11970, will finish the inside.

Once the outside is turned to the final dimension and the inside is finished the rim is separated from the stock with a cut- off tool held in a special tool post, part no. 3002.

All the above will only get you sleeves. To machine wheel centers will require a mill attachment or stand alone mill with a rotary table. Sorry, but mills are still out of my league. At least until I win the lottery.

The 4530 comes with hexagonal keys. Use them sparingly. They exert too much torque. Instead, get a t-handle or screw driver handle hex key for the size used on the tool posts and tailstock.

In addition to the one sharpened high-speed steel cutting tool included in the 4530 package, get a set of 5 blanks and learn to grind your own. Here’s how to do it: http://www.sherline.com/grinding.htm.

Joe Martin’s book, Tabletop Machining is invaluable. Get it now. Keep it under your pillow.

Cutting oil.

And last: Safety glasses. Wear them.