Model Cars Magazine Forum

Self-Healing Cutting Mats-- What's the best size/bang-for-yer-buck

Not sure if this is the right place to be posting this but...

I've been looking at self-healing cutting mats and would like to know:

What is the best size for modeling

What's the best price range

Are they worth the small investment

Thanks in advance for any answers.

-Glenn

I've always used the glass out of old picture frames . Place the glass on a piece of cardboard and tape it securely all the way around the edges . This gives you a nice surface to cut on without damaging your blade , plus it is perfectly flat ( like a surface plate ) for getting frames and such to sit even . I use 12" x 9" and have three of them on my bench for doing assembly work .

And they are easy to clean . . . just scrape off glue and paint with a razor blade !

45_zpsdc11346d.jpg

Edited by TooOld

I recently bought a large foldable, and I was sceptical at first, but it turns out it was really practical. Now, I can have a small cutting mat for when I do small work with few parts, concentrating on a smaller area, but I can also double the size when needed.

Might seem like an unnecessary thing but it is crucial for me since I no longer have a workbench; all my building takes place on the dining table. And nothing can go on the dining table, so I have to fit everything more or less on my cutting mat.