Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Biscayne "Mystery Motor" Z-33

Brutalform

I do have a 396/427 style engine I was going to put in the car. I was reading somewhere that in the real car, the original engine was removed, and destroyed??? info on this car is a bit confusing. I do remember the very first 427's looking like a 409. Now, was the real engine a "W" engine, and replaced with Mark IV??? And was this car ever really raced in the 60's??? I can stll install the the Mark IV, but if WAS the 409 style in the car originally, then the 409 style will stay. From the article just posted, it seems it did have the 396 style in it from the start.

I also saw an article somewhere on the Sox & Sinclair car, and, IIRC, the "W" engine in it was refered to as a 427.

OK after re reading that link, it was stated that the car was a "could have been" but never happened. That would explain why I had never found ANY info of it being a true race car being ran in the 60's.

I happened to come across this car on Lucas Decals site, and thought it would be a nice build. I would like for it to be as correct as possible though, especially the powertrain.

Edited by Brutalform

• 1 year later...

Doesn't the Revell 55 Chevy have the Z-11 motor?

Don't know about that, but at least AMT '62 Super Stock Bel Air kits have Z11 engine parts. That's the kit I'm trying to find with reasonable price to use the engine in my '63 Z11 Impala. That, decals and interior parts are the only things I'm still missing.

This looks very interesting. One of my favorite subjects and very nicely built so far. Keep it going.

Wasn't the Z33 engine more related to the later MKIV big blocks than the 348/409?

yes. the mystery motor was the modern big block Chevy like came in the later 60's. 454, 427, 396 and such. I know they first appeared in the "mystery motored cars. The first production car was the 65 Chevy Malibu if memory serves me right?

There was no such thing as a 409 turn into a 427 motor. In 63 the Z-11 package was just all aluminum front end, bumpers,grill,hood,fenders and a over size came called the Z came.

The motor rating for 63, 409/409hp 409/425hp rated but really pushing 450hp, Diffenernt heads with aluminum intake and the radicatel came pushing the 409 to over 500+hp rated.

The mistory motor was a complete different motor in all as it was the early 427 and between all of them that was made there was no interchange parts between the motors. This means if you had

two of them nothing could be switched as they was trying a ton of new stuff all in each motor for nascar only.

This car that you are doing and you have read it right was just a "What If" car, Hayden left Chevy at the early part of 63 after they left drag racing and this was the main thing as

to wonder if Hayden and Chevy still was in drag racing in 63 what he would have been driving.

• 3 weeks later...

There was no such thing as a 409 turn into a 427 motor. In 63 the Z-11 package was just all aluminum front end, bumpers,grill,hood,fenders and a over size came called the Z came.

The motor rating for 63, 409/409hp 409/425hp rated but really pushing 450hp, Diffenernt heads with aluminum intake and the radicatel came pushing the 409 to over 500+hp rated.

The mistory motor was a complete different motor in all as it was the early 427 and between all of them that was made there was no interchange parts between the motors. This means if you had

two of them nothing could be switched as they was trying a ton of new stuff all in each motor for nascar only.

This car that you are doing and you have read it right was just a "What If" car, Hayden left Chevy at the early part of 63 after they left drag racing and this was the main thing as

to wonder if Hayden and Chevy still was in drag racing in 63 what he would have been driving.

The first Chevy 427 was indeed a modified 409

http://www.348-409.com/z11.html

The "mystery motor" was a whole other beast, it was loosely based on the 409 but looked like the later 1965-forward Rat motor, nothing fits between the mystery motor and the rat motor tho'.

http://hotrodenginetech.com/chevrolet-427-mystery-motor/

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0611_chevy_mystery_motor/

Edited by Force