Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 51 fleetline tin box

I built one, and have another unbuilt. The kit is just a reissue that comes with some more stuff like a bit of foil, and some vintage style material about the car. Parts come to build it stock and custom. It's a good kit, one only have to take care with the front end assembly (inner fenders, ventilation tubes, radiator frame), that has to be aligned pretty well. I discovered that the best way to avoid problems is to glue the firewall, and inner fenders onto the body at the same time, and not as the instructions say.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was excited to find this kit online at a "closeout" price of $30. I figured that was only $5 more than a regularly priced kit these days, and so I bought it. I'm sad to say that I don't think it was worth even that extra $5. I know it's an old tool that's been around for some time now, but at that price, maybe they could have worked harder to clean up the flash around the window edges. A small sheet of foil is included and so I assumed that the real value here was going to be the tin itself and the 18 page booklet. I guess I didn't read close enough, but I thought the booklet was going to contain pics of the real car, including possibly some decent reference photos. Instead, what we get is a CD insert-sized illustrated booklet that seems to do nothing but promote AMT and it's chosen graphic artist. What a rip-off. Had I paid full price for this, I think I would be furious. As it stands, I'm just mildly annoyed. Still, I think the car itself is beautiful and it should look nice alongside my '49 Merc, '48 Ford, and the upcoming Revell Olds.

That Stings. I have 3 of those kits. None of which were the tins. I wont tell you what they cost me. Just build it and enjoy it when its done, would be the best advice you could get. :mellow:

I do plan to build it and I won't let the disappointment take that enjoyment away from me, but the whole thing will make me skeptical of buying anymore of these "special" kits from AMT. At least the '57 Chevy comes with some photo-etched parts, but is even that enough to justify all of the extra cost? Worst part is that when I do finally build it, I'll probably toss the tin anyway. What do you do with something like that once you don't need it to store the kit?

What do you do with something like that once you don't need it to store the kit?

The tin boxes DO make very nice storage containers for other things. I typically have several extreme kitbash projects going and need solid containers with covers to assemble all of the relevant parts before and during buildup, and the tins are great for that.

I'm pretty sure there's a non-tinbox version of the '57 with the photoetch....I could be wrong, but it would probably be cheaper.

The '51 Fleetline is a great kit anyway, and I really hope you enjoy it.

Worst part is that when I do finally build it, I'll probably toss the tin anyway. What do you do with something like that once you don't need it to store the kit?

Display it? I am guessing most of the "tin-box" kits Round2 has released are aimed at both builders and collectors, since most of the collectors who purchase these kits will never open, but rather display them. Some of the tin boxes look really nice displayed with the built model, too.

Ahhhhh marketing. Don't you just love paying extra for useless uselessness? Exactly the same kit minus the 'collector edition' silliness can usually be had for $15, plus shipping.

Or less- I've never paid more than ten bucks for one of these kits (RC2 reissue), and have no intention of ever doing so. For $30 or more I'd rather let the collectors have this one.

• 6 months later...

The LHS has the centennial issue that contains the six banger with optional speed goodies.

They recently marked-up the AMT kits to $19.99. If the box is damaged you can get it for $14.99.

I noticed most online retailers have discounted the tin-edition '51 Chevy kit, down to $35 or so from the previous $50, and I think Hobby Lobby marked it down to $29.99 IIRC.