Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage Kit Review: AMT's Other 1/25th '57 Thunderbird

It was the full detail version....and yes, the Elegance series issue was molded in red with the white pearl paint and tinted blue windows. The box art read "Wonder Bird" IIRC....TIM

Just checked - the Elegance series kit was called "Wonder Bird". And just as Bob says, there were only parts to do one version - sort of a "street modified" version (circa 1967) IIRC, put together using parts from the original 3 in 1 kit. TB

• 1 month later...

Bumping this topic...........

John, I was so impressed by this review, that as soon as this kit turned up on eBay on a BIN-------I snatched it up! :D

Yes, I do intend to build this one down the road.....I'll more than likely kitbash this one with the newer release '56 with some tweaking of the chassis to get it to fit.

Thanks for the much needed info!

I'm on the final stretch of a build of the Trophy kit which was included in the AMT Ford Collector Series that I found on eBay last year. I was mostly after the '57 Fairlane but this set popped up, sealed, for a few bucks more than a single Fairlane kit. Off course, I just had to build that '57 T-Bird right away, and the Fairlane languishes on the sidelines...

I built this kit when I was a kid back in the '60s; candy apple red w/chrome-reversed, black & white interior, that blue windshield, and Firestone Supreme "red walls(!)" My new "edition" is bone stock, black-on-black & white, and will include all of the inaccuracies as called out by John. I'm going to see if the "Ford" decals from the Revell '57 Custom (Fireball Roberts kit, won't need them) will fit the T-Bird hubcaps, though, and I'm using the Firestone Deluxe Champion wide whites from the AMT Parts Pack set.

Here's a thought: Bash this kit (along with the more accurate Jr. kit, perhaps) with the Fireball Roberts kit for an F-Code 'Bird.

I'll post pictures of the black 'Bird when it's finished. I may scratch up the window vent/wings that none of the '57 kits ever included. But maybe not. This one's got to get off the bench...

PB.

I really wish Round 2 would reissue this kit. I really love those old simple Custom Jr. Series kits. They were always fun to build.

post-10661-0-23456600-1409684326_thumb.j

post-10661-0-00243800-1409684338_thumb.j

What can I say? I'm a simple guy, who likes these older simple kits. And as noted before, I'm not a big Ford guy. But, I love Thunderbirds. And my favorite Thunderbird? 1957 of course.

Scott

This thread got me out of my seat to go compare the three I have built. For me the top is the biggest issue, now I want the Jr. kit. Could someone please cast these tops? The hub caps with the script are also pretty nice.

The first issue I had back in the early '60s got heavily customized and not in a good way. I remember the windshield being a big problem for me, as they usually were on convertibles. I think this one probably got torched. I still have some small parts for it I think.

The big difference is in the optional hardtop, which appears to be unique to this kit. It's shown here compared with a top from a later 1960s "Wonder Bird" issue of the Trophy Series 'Bird, which was also molded in red. The Wonder Bird top is an identical molding as that in the "Vegas" issue kit (the most recent one I have) and, I believe, most, if not all, reissues of the old Trophy kit since the '60s.

Here you can see the difference across the front edges of the roof. Note how narrow the Wonder Bird top (left) is at the front vs. the Jr. kit top (right).

TbirdJr_4-vi.jpg

Here's a comparison of the rear of each top, with the WB top on the left and Jr. on the right. The Jr. top's window shape is better compared to photo of the real car, with the sides tapering in at the top, though the distance between the bottom edge of the window and the bottom edge of the roof is more correct on the WB top. The WB's window has an inaccurate "tunneled" appearance.

TbirdJr_5-vi.jpg

Inside the WB roof (left) has no detail, while the Jr. roof has a headliner (plus pin marks and a rather large tab at the front!)

TbirdJr_6-vi.jpg

The critical difference is the profile of each roof. Here the WB roof is on the right, with the Jr. roof on the left. Note how the Jr. roof has more "crown" toward the front and curves down toward the header, and the upper edge of the side window opening is nearly parallel to the ground. This much more closely resembles to real Thunderbird roof than does the WB roof, which has a high crown in the rear and slopes down to the windshield header while the edge of the side window slopes up.

TbirdJr_7-vi.jpg

I usually don't quote whole posts with pics like this, but in this instance it's important to answer your question John. He mentions that the hardtop shape (and more than likely the windshield frame) are unique to this kit. Your kits probably contain the later reissued hardtop and W/S frame with its not-so-accurate shape as pictured.

This is the main reason I snagged one off eBay recently, the hardtop and windshield frame shape have bothered me for YEARS and, it's a mystery why it was changed when there was a more accurate version available, not that many years before.

Hope this helps ya out!

The Junior/Craftsman kits turn up occasionally on eBay, Christian, and at toy and model swap meets.

It should be noted that the original Trophy series T-bird kit has the inaccurately angled separate chrome windshield frame as do all subsequent reissues. By the time the "Vegas" kit I have was issued windshield wiper "detail" had been added to the lower windshield frame molding. I'm not sure when the inaccurate roof was added to the ex-Trophy kit but the mid-'60s "Wonderbird" issue has it, as do all subsequent reissues (AFAIK.)

Both the kits have their origins in the promo tooling. Incidentally there were at least two subtly different promo tools, the kits were based on the later, common "Free Gift from Ford" red promo. Whether the body for the Junior/Craftsman kit is literally from the original red promo tool I could not say. All the original '57 promos were molded in acetate, and as a result are invariably shrunken and warped beyond redemption.

• 2 years later...

In Christopher's photos the Craftsman kit is the one on the left, which has molded on fender skirts.

I do have a Craftsman/Trophy Jr T-Bird that has no skirts. Apparently they did it both ways at some point. If mine pops up on me (haven't seen it in a while), I'll post pics.

I do have a Craftsman/Trophy Jr T-Bird that has no skirts. Apparently they did it both ways at some point. If mine pops up on me (haven't seen it in a while), I'll post pics.

I believe the skirts were removed from the Junior Trophy in about 1965 when AMT used the body in their slot car line.  After that, I think there was only one subsequent reissue (the light blue version in 66-67, now in the Craftsman line) still without the skirts.    

Jr Trophy (darker blue) and Craftsman (light blue) and slot car pics below.

AMT 57 T-Bird Craftsman with skirts.JPG

AMT 57 T-Bird Craftsman no skirts.JPG

slot car.JPG

Edited by pack rat

I believe the skirts were removed from the Junior Trophy in about 1965 when AMT used the body in their slot car line.  After that, I think there was only one subsequent reissue (the light blue version in 66-67, now in the Craftsman line) still without the skirts.    

Jr Trophy (darker blue) and Craftsman (light blue) and slot car pics below.

AMT 57 T-Bird Craftsman with skirts.JPG

AMT 57 T-Bird Craftsman no skirts.JPG

slot car.JPG

I have that baby blue one too. That would be the one I'm thinking of.

Edited by Dave Darby

Thanks, Tim!

While it's obvious that the Trophy Series "full detail" kit and the Custom Jr./Craftsman kit have much in common, I thought the differences that gave the cheaper kit it's own particular virtues were worth noting.

And, for some strange reason when I try to share this kind of fascinating model kit trivia with my wife her eyes seem to glaze over just before she goes catatonic. So I hafta share it here!

But it is a good way to get some "me" time to look over the newest acquisition from the local plastic pusher.?

Pete, that was the "Wonder Bird" I used for this comparo. It was a version of the old Trophy Series kit. Here's a scan of the box art. New to this version of this kit were the tunneled taillights.

WonderBird001-vi.jpg

This Wonderbird was a parts an expensive deleted part kit (low part count more custom parts making stock sometimes not possible as the regular kit)with a can of pearlescent spray to cover the colored plastic. I always thought all these 57 TBIrds were derived from the promo but now I think they were derived from the same 1/10 wood master

The metallic green-painted Craftsman T-bird - with molded-in skirts - in my comparison photo is light blue plastic under the paint.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

The metallic green-painted Craftsman T-bird - with molded-in skirts - in my comparison photo is light blue plastic under the paint.

Sorry, I should have clarified.  The 66-67 no-skirt Craftsman was only available in light blue (if someone has a skirtless body in any other color I stand corrected).

The Jr Trophy with skirts was molded in several colors including a lighter blue than the blue/turquoise one in my pic (note-I have never seen one up close and don't know if it's the same or a similar color as the Craftsman)  

My post may have implied that all light blue Birds were the later issue; that wasn't the intention. 

Edited by pack rat