Model Cars Magazine Forum

Garlits Wynnscharger

ZTony8

In perusing the Round 2 site I noticed that the Wynnscharger dragster is scheduled for release this coming autumn.This is cool if it's really the Garlits car and not the Young American in a different box(the front of the frame,front wheels,and axle are slightly different).First time back since the 70s I believe.

Details, please... ;)

Harry...

Young American has a different tie rod/drag link setup, a different fuel tank layout, the addition of an oil tank and lines, and a ballast box that replaces the front axle weights of the Garlits kit. All this in addition to different decals (obviously) and also different valve cover engraving (I believe).

It will be interesting to see how many of these differences are "re-incorporated" into the Garlits reissue, but regardless, I am overjoyed to have this iconic kit back on the market.

TB

Interesting.

Ivo, Ramchargers and All American all show it with a 426 based Hemi

The 2 Garlits cars both show it with a 392 based Hemi on the box,,,,what does it actually have in the box ?

The only one I have is the Ramchargers car,, and have never opened it to see what engine is actually in the box,,but assume it's a 426 based ?

The two Garlits cars above are the same kit. The Jammer has a 392 and the later cars have the 426.

The Ramchargers car has a 426, with some really bad valve covers. This kit was later re-done into the More American Graffiti car, with the 426 still in it with some bad valve covers to try and make it look like a Small Block Chevy!!

Interesting.

Ivo, Ramchargers and All American all show it with a 426 based Hemi

The 2 Garlits cars both show it with a 392 based Hemi on the box,,,,what does it actually have in the box ?

The only one I have is the Ramchargers car,, and have never opened it to see what engine is actually in the box,,but assume it's a 426 based ?

None of those kits are the one being discussed:

product.jpg

The Young American is modified from this tool (along with the unseen "Cosmic Charger" and "Railrod" MPC kits) The rest are unrelated, other than the Ramchargers, Graffiti, and Jawbreaker being also made by MPC (and I believe, related tooling to each other), the AMT Garlits kit also being a Garlits kit, and the Ivo dragster also being a dragster... Don't know what those photos were meant to accomplish. Without any accompanying text it's rather confusing.

Edited by Brett Barrow

Ok, thats clears it up . I saw all the pics and thought they were supposed to all be the same kit just different decals/ boxes.

( sorry, I don't build dragsters ,,only reason I have the Ramchargers FED is bacause ,,,,,,it's the Ramchargers )

Is the Tommy Ivo and Ramchargers the same kit ?

I wonder which one of the swamp rat dragsters the kit is suppose to replicate???..

Swamp rat X--XII.???

12B, IIRC.

Ok, thats clears it up . I saw all the pics and thought they were supposed to all be the same kit just different decals/ boxes.

( sorry, I don't build dragsters ,,only reason I have the Ramchargers FED is bacause ,,,,,,it's the Ramchargers )

Is the Tommy Ivo and Ramchargers the same kit ?

No, MPC and AMT were not the same company at the time. Ivo kit is from a couple years later, one of the last FEDs. Longer wheelbase than the Ramchargers and AMT Garlits. Similar wheelbase and timeframe as MPC Garlits and Young American.

*edit* Here's a shot I found on teh interwebz showing the difference in wheelbase. The two outer kits are based on the MPC Ramchargers kit you have, the two longer ones are based on the MPC Wynnscharger/Young American chassis. They're the Cosmic Charger (right) and Railrod (left) I mentioned above.

GG005.jpg

Edited by Brett Barrow

None of those kits are the one being discussed:

product.jpg

The Young American is modified from this tool (along with the unseen "Cosmic Charger" and "Railrod" MPC kits) The rest are unrelated, other than the Ramchargers, Graffiti, and Jawbreaker being also made by MPC (and I believe, related tooling to each other), the AMT Garlits kit also being a Garlits kit, and the Ivo dragster also being a dragster... Don't know what those photos were meant to accomplish. Without any accompanying text it's rather confusing.

Brett is 100% correct here.

The only kits that share this tooling are the MPC Garlits Wynnscharger (which was the first kit from the tooling), the Carl Casper Young American, the "Fiat Rail Rod Slingshot" (which contained a rather basic Fial Altered body), and the Carl Casper Cosmic Charger, which was a pretty heavily modified version of this tool.

The other rails shown are either derivatives of the MPC Ramcharger kit (which was an entirely different tool, first issue two years earlier), the equally unrelated AMT Tommy Ivo kit, or the original AMT Don Garlits "Checker Flag Series" kit first issued in 1965.

Hope that helps a bit...TIM

Hope round 2 will include the "iron on" like the one that came in the first release...

DON GARLITS WYNNS CHARGER FRONT ENGINE RAIL DRAGSTER

Item No: MPC810

Release Date: October 2014

MPC's Garlits Wynnscharger dragster is an exciting kit that harkens back to the dangerous days of front engine "slingshots"! In true Retro Deluxe format, the kit even includes a reproduction of the original bonus T-shirt iron on in addition to the vintage reproduction packaging!

• Scale: 1/25
  • Skill Level: 2 (ages 10 and up)
  • Glue assembly, paint required
    • Blown drag motor
    • Vinyl seat and blower belt
    • Jumbo soft vinyl pad-printed slicks
    • Removable cockpit body panel
    • Bonus Wynnscharger T-shirt iron on
    • Vintage Retro Deluxe packaging
    • Miniature display box
Edited by Brett Barrow

Brett is 100% correct here.

The only kits that share this tooling are the MPC Garlits Wynnscharger (which was the first kit from the tooling), the Carl Casper Young American, the "Fiat Rail Rod Slingshot" (which contained a rather basic Fial Altered body), and the Carl Casper Cosmic Charger, which was a pretty heavily modified version of this tool.

The other rails shown are either derivatives of the MPC Ramcharger kit (which was an entirely different tool, first issue two years earlier), the equally unrelated AMT Tommy Ivo kit, or the original AMT Don Garlits "Checker Flag Series" kit first issued in 1965.

Hope that helps a bit...TIM

Wow, I got an A+ from Professor Boyd! To be honest, I learned most of that from reading your Young American build review in the other mag.