Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clear coat repair

Pictures? Depending on how bad the print is, you can sand it out and hope it didn't effect the paint under the clear. Then apply more clear and don't touch it with your thumb;). You can also mask off and respray just print area - I prefer to do the whole body panel if possible (fender or trunk lid, etc) as opposed to a small repair - it's just a little easier to blend in.

Learning to fix mistakes like this is a huge step in model building. It's not always building the perfect model, it's about fixing the mistakes that WILL happen.

One quick method I found is to rub out the flaw . Wetsand to featheredge the area . If the color coat is not damaged , touch up with a Brush (!) with Future Clear ! Try it , you'll like it . The voice of experience speaking here . I have even removed decals (with an overlay of Scotch Tape) with this same procedure . Thanx ..

Looking at the picture, I would try sanding it out - just go slow and steady and avoid sanding through on the wheel well edges or you will have to do paint and clear repair. Do you have a micro mesh (or similar) polishing kit? Look into one if you don't. They include sanding pads that you go through sanding down to a close to polished surface. Yo then can ploish it out with Meguiar's or similar polish...

Also, make sure the topcoat in completely dry before sanding - you didn't mention what type of clear you used, and some (enamels) take a long time to dry to a hard surface.