Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Ford Ranchero

This Ranchero began as a 1/25 scale 1959 Ford Galaxie 500 Skyliner retractable hardtop from Revell. The body of this car is not from a resin body that is available, it was made using the original multi-piece styrene plastic body from the Revell kit. The bed and everything behind the back of the roof was made from scratch. The body has been two-tone painted in the factory offered colors of Colonial White and Grenadier Red with a silver insert in the chrome trim along the sides. The interior has been tri-toned in white, red, and black using 1959 Ford factory interior color combination swatches as a guide. The floor has been covered in plush dark red carpeting. All other chrome trim inside and out was done using bare metal foil.

Some of the modifications that were made;

1 - The front and rear bumpers were stripped of chrome, I removed of all casting seams and had them re-chromed along with the fender ornaments.

2 - Chrome trim was added all the way around the edge of the bed to the top of the rear window and around the back window.

3 - The correct number of ribs and indentations for the screws in the bed and on the inside of the tailgate were added.

4 - The tires, white walls, and 1959 Ford hubcaps are from Modelhaus. The old Revell kit only supplied custom 1950's fiesta style hubcaps.

5 - Brushed aluminum panels were added on the bottom of the rear quarter panels.

6 - The 352cu V8 has been painted in the standard Ford blue with spark plug wires, coil wire, copper fuel line, and two red heater hoses were added.

7 - Red, white, blue, and gold colors have been added to the emblems, and the birds on the re-chromed fender ornaments were color detailed too.

8 - A tailgate latch was made from scratch.

9 - A rear emblem was made from scratch and added to the tailgate.

10 - A rear view mirror was added.

11 - A steel antenna was added.

12 - A side view mirror was added.

13 - The rear window was made from scratch.

14- The fuel filler door was moved from behind the drivers side door rearward and down to the correct position for a Ranchero.

15 - The rear section of the undercarriage was been modified to accommodate becoming a pick-up.

post-6609-12807875409923_thumb.jpg

post-6609-12807875498512_thumb.jpg

post-6609-12807875581977_thumb.jpg

post-6609-1280787567432_thumb.jpg

post-6609-12807875760127_thumb.jpg

post-6609-1280787586493_thumb.jpg

post-6609-12807875997705_thumb.jpg

post-6609-12807876086976_thumb.jpg

Incredible work- I've never had good luck with that Retractable kit- maybe I should try this! :)

Thanks Chuck! When I opened up the kit and checked it over I realized there was no way it was going to turn out nice. I was originally going to go for a four door hardtop, but decided to go a little nuts with my hot knife and see what would happen.

That is gorgeous , may I ask were to roof come from? I have follow your builds for awhile and they are always great

Thank you Gene!

I made the roof from the existing one that came from the kit. I "welded" the front section that flops down to the rest of the roof, and then I cut the rear section off.

Hmmmmmm.. no wonder I ain't got no modelling talent - you got it all plus a few thousand others like me.. B):P:D

Seriously, that is amazing to say the least.. I mean, I am having a hard time with some pretty simple, rudimentary builds.. you just walk in, pick up pyour tools and fly at 'er.. I wish that I had just one drop of your abilities and talents. You are an amazing man - an artist. My hat is surely off to you with this one ;cause I know how crappy that retractable hardtop is. Say - you wouldn't be interested in converting a '59 Galaxie to a Fairlane for me, would you? Huh? Huh? :o:D:D

Edited by impcon

Exellent job on this!!! Very, very realistic and great conversion. It looks like '59 Ranchero and it looks also like straight from the factory... Good paintjob on it and engine detailing is very good too, bodywork is always hard to do but you did it perfectly! Great job, keep these coming!

• 3 months later...

Absolutely incredible! I have a resin version in the works, using the revell chassis and interior parts, as well as the Revell kit tiself in the works. Where did you get your exterior rear view mirror? I could use 4 of them for my 2 builds! Major kudos to a beautiful build!