Model Cars Magazine Forum

70's Ice Road Truck

THAT AND THE EXHAUST LEAK!! :rolleyes::D:o Paul

All of the weathering is done with Tamiya acrylic paints,made in to washes(85 /90 % Alcohol thinner) Air brushed on. Than sealed with Testers Acryl Flat clear, dusted on from about 12 inches with low air pressure. That gives it the "icy - frost" look. Paul

What's goin' on...

Paul

One of these years I'll get air brush painting down. When or for that matter if that happens I'll try weathing w/ it. I've always used chaulk. If there's anyway possible could you post a picture of the truck out of that book? Even if ya just took a pic of the page. I'd like to see that.

Here's a project I built weathing it w/ chalk. I wanted to get a look of frost and road salt.

692790323_c35afbaf44_o.jpg

Edited by Semi Trailer Mechanic

Nice, nice work ont the Ice Road truck. We have not had cable for over ten years. I have not been on the road in close to three years so I had not seen much cable tv. A couple of months agao we gave in and got a dish. A couple of Sat mornings ago I was surfing and came across the "Ice Road Truckers" marathon on the History Channel. While I kept busy with chores around the house, I/we watched almost 8 hours of the show. I do not know how much I had missed before I stumbled across it, but..... We really enjoyed it! By 'we' I mean my wife and 10 year old son even got interested in the last three or so hours. I had heard some about the show and found a book on e-bay. What everyone goes through to get all that equipment moved is unreal! Did "Polar Bear" ever sleep? Sorry for going off on a tagent but I'll place the blame on the Alaskan Hauler build for making me wander off subject !!

Bruce in Fargo

Nice, nice work ont the Ice Road truck. We have not had cable for over ten years. I have not been on the road in close to three years so I had not seen much cable tv. A couple of months agao we gave in and got a dish. A couple of Sat mornings ago I was surfing and came across the "Ice Road Truckers" marathon on the History Channel. While I kept busy with chores around the house, I/we watched almost 8 hours of the show. I do not know how much I had missed before I stumbled across it, but..... We really enjoyed it! By 'we' I mean my wife and 10 year old son even got interested in the last three or so hours. I had heard some about the show and found a book on e-bay. What everyone goes through to get all that equipment moved is unreal! Did "Polar Bear" ever sleep? Sorry for going off on a tagent but I'll place the blame on the Alaskan Hauler build for making me wander off subject !!

Bruce in Fargo

I don't think he ever slept....compared to the time frame of this truck (!1969 /72) the new Ice truckers have it easy.Trip times for these early trucks was much longer. Sometimes days, if the ice held. They had support trucks ,snow plows plus with them. Most rides with door opened for quick bail out. Paul

• 4 weeks later...

This is an exellent looking truck. The weathering is exceptional and looks really convincing. The Kenworth Alaskan Hauler is a particular favourite of mine. I have a kit ready for building in the distant future. Does anyone know what model number designation this Kenworth is? Also what options were available with it? For example engines, transmissions, Extended Hoods, number of axles, load carrying capacity, severe weather options etc. I'm thinking of building mine with a Cummins KTA 600 with an extended hood, but were they available with this model Kenworth?

I believe the the Alaskan hauler is how the rig is set up, not any particular model. The main mods are the moose bar and the propane system. So any diesel available could have been installed by K.W. , trannies are again a matter of choice..bbut remember that speeds were generally in the 10 to 35 mph range. As for axles the weight and number are up to builder. Hope this helps. Paul