Model Cars Magazine Forum

The "FreakShow" new project 1/12/13

John Teresi

John,

Once completed is the body going to remain removable to show detail ?

I would think it would have to , to really display all the work involved here

I'll give ya props, the work involved here is off the charts . Ugly subject matter,(imo ) but the detail borders on fanatical

Edited by gtx6970

This just keeps getting better and better. What color is the original car? My grandson just picked up a '68 Firebird by Foose Saturday and he want's to paint it that color with black trim.

Hi Lee.........I believe the color is a pearl cotton candy .........with H.O.K. pink kandy fogging........I will have to mix a batch of custom cotton candy using maybe 2 to 3 drops of H.O.K. pink kandy with the majority of H.O.K. snow white pearl.......I will lay down a H.O.K. white base first.......then airbrush the custom mix cotton candy.........then I will airbrush the H.O.K. pink kandy fogging........thanks

John,

Once completed is the body going to remain removable to show detail ?

I would think it would have to , to really display all the work involved here

I'll give ya props, the work involved here is off the charts .

Bill .........I have not thought about having the body re-movable but,that is a great idea........I might have to do that?.........it would be pretty easy to do..........i will just have to think it out..........thanks.

Yes,Lee.......it is a downer about the valve covers........I would fix them but,I use super glue on my builds and it would be a disaster to try and take them and the plug wires off to fix........it is the lack of knowledge that I have a bought engines.......another lesson I have learned........iI wish someone would have pointed it out to me on my early mock-up stages.......but,hopefully many people won`t notice or care........thanks :)

Maybe if it weren’t for the fact that in the past when other people in the community did offer constructive criticism and point out errors in your work, they got shouted down, chastised and called “hater” and “jealous” for daring to point out the obvious mistake(s), someone might have been able to help you put the valve covers on correctly? Sadly it is very apparent and takes away from the rest of the work. And there is a lot of nice work there. :(

John,

Great looking build so far. Please keep the progress photos coming this thing is amazing! as far as the valve cover non issue goes..... I am not a mopar fan so unless they had the Chrysler fire power lettering on them and it was upside down I would have never noticed anyway. Way to much other stuff to look at!

The valve covers are a non-issue. Not everybody is an ASE certified mechanic. I challenge anybody to post their own perfect model. I've never seen one. Better yet, please post your own model YOU'VE BUILT of the FreakShow. I've considered building it, but it seemed to be a rather an intimidating model to construct..

At the same time, I'm sure John appreciates the correction about the valve covers. I am sure many modelers aren't aware of some superficial differences like that. Super model, John!

Edited by Von Don Koolkat

The valve covers are a non-issue. Not everybody is an ASE certified mechanic. I challenge anybody to post their own perfect model. I've never seen one. Better yet, please post your own model YOU'VE BUILT of the FreakShow. I've considered building it, but it seemed to be a rather an intimidating model to construct..

At the same time, I'm sure John appreciates the correction about the valve covers. I am sure many modelers aren't aware of some superficial differences like that. Super model, John!

I think Mr Jones has a leg to stand on when he offers constructive criticism , after all, he building this, I think his work speaks for himself, this is close to perfect as you are going to get I think

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68368

Edited by martinfan5

The valve covers may indeed be upside down, but come on guys... looking at the overall model, the amount of scratchbuilding, the craftsmanship... how many of us could build even close to that level? Not many.

Yeah, calling out the fact that the valve covers are upside down, or the gun trigger was on backwards, are legitimate, and John acknowledged his mistakes. Points made and points taken. Onward.

BTW... I don't know if that car was a serious attempt at a custom, or someone's idea of a joke! That has to be the ugliest, gaudiest, most over-the-top (in a bad way) creation I've ever seen... tasteless, schlocky, and garish aren't strong enough adjectives to describe it. Maybe "revolting" is closer. But regardless, John's recreation of it is flat-out amazing, even with the upside-down valve covers!

Many contests, (and John does frequent contests) have as a part of their rules that certain realistic or feasible components of the models must adhere to real life automobiles. Meaning things that could not work on a real car can disqualify a model entry.

The GSL is one contest that comes to mind, and I have seen that rule used to disqualify an equally visually exciting piece.

So go ahead and be upset with me for pointing out the obvious, (as some else did before me yet it wasn't an issue for them to say), but my point was that before it is finished is the time to deal with the mistake, (especially if you want to compete with it).

I disagree Art. I think it perfectly fits the point I was making. Who has EVER seen a hemi with the valve covers upside down on a real car? They won't bolt up, it certainly would not run.

Even if it was not entered in a replica class, the rules I referenced as written could disqualify it.

Billet cam/valve covers (it is not a head that I milled) are quite common. (Plus the fact that the one I made has the proper bolt mounting pattern and plumbing.) Besides, since it is a one of, and hemi's are mass produced, that analogy does not fit either.

Why so much energy to justify an error someone made and admitted to? I notice John isn't participating in this discussion. Why try to justify what he did if he isn't even trying to?

As Harry said, onward.

I disagree Art. I think it perfectly fits the point I was making. Who has EVER seen a hemi with the valve covers upside down on a real car? They won't bolt up, it certainly would not run.

Even if it was not entered in a replica class, the rules I referenced as written could disqualify it.

Billet cam/valve covers (it is not a head that I milled) are quite common. (Plus the fact that the one I made has the proper bolt mounting pattern and plumbing.) Besides, since it is a one of, and hemi's are mass produced, that analogy does not fit either.

I think we'll agree to disagree on this one. My point was that who has ever seen a Chrysler and a truck mated in this fashion, either? A custom builder could very easily make an adapter to mount the valve cover to this engine in it's current position if so desired, and it could function, just like a builder could adapt a milled head to a Cosworth. I wasn't trying to point out anything erroneous about the milled head, by the way. I think the work on that is pure genius.

Edited by Art Laski

You're kind of making my point Art. If this build is not a replica, then it is a boo-boo.

The model embodies a huge percentage of the real vehicle. Yet it is not a "replica" because it doesn't match 100%. Builders choice, great.

If John made it right hand drive, that is feasible (maybe even logical). But if he put the steering box on the left side and put the wheel on the right and left out the shaft... Same thing as the valve covers. Maybe if he made up the story that you did?

Why so much effort (by those not building the model) to justify an error?

John I respect you and the work you have put into this and think its good even when you can set back and know the mistakes so it will not happen again. For me I wish Mark Jones or Bill pointed out my mistake on my Runt build specialy on the side trim back about 8 months ago so I could have fixed it. I did contact Mark off list and see what he thought could I do to fix it so late in the game and I took his word on that I would make more mistake on fixing it then leaving it alone.

Guys either way we learn and some times we just over look the very little thing and it comes back to bite us in the end and not one person is 100% a god at this thing. Mark does know what he is talking about on a lot of detail stuff and I would look to him just as I did to Randy Derr on my steering problem.

I like the overal quality and attention to detail , it's just the subject is to me uglier than sin.

BUT, I'm not building it either so my opinion is moot point.

That said, the problem with pointing out an error such as this (had it been mentioned earlier) can and will be taken ' by some' as bashing it. Maybe the builder wouldn't but one never knows how any one takes criticism .

And my parents always told me, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

I build for me and me alone,,,, so I try to make them accurate within a reasonable effort. BUT, if it's not 100% dead nuts on, I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. I don't do contests, and the only ones who see my stuff outside of my family are the ones I post pictures of online ( which accounts for about a 1/4 of what I have in the case btw)

Besides, Everyone ( Ok, maybe most of us ) learn from there mistakes, it what makes us human.

Like I said earlier,,, carry on and enjoy the ride while we still can.

Edited by gtx6970

Art, regarding the valve covers, (IMHO) Mark's point wins in this case. The flanges of the valve cover don't match to the heads in a way that oil and engine fumes will be contained under the valve cover in a realistic way.

Does John even need to defend this issue which some feel to be an error? NO WAY!!!!

I'm not trying to stroke John's ego here, (I have previously pointed out to him what would be an error on a real vehicle) but I'll surely stand up and say he can "build it that way if he wants to" since that's what everyone here does anyway.

I see that Harry calls this piece a "recreation", there may be differing levels of "recreation" but it may be fairer to call it an "interpretation" (or just an amazing piece of 3D art).

I greatly admire John's skills and creativity and hope he will continue posting his creations (or "interpretations") since they inspire a LOT of the rest of us with the possibilities lying dormant in formed and raw plastic.

my 2 cents.

I like the overal quality and attention to detail , it's just the subject is to me uglier than sin.

BUT, I'm not building it either so my opinion is moot point.

That said, the problem with pointing out an error such as this (had it been mentioned earlier) can and will be taken ' by some' as bashing it. Maybe the builder wouldn't but one never knows how any one takes criticism .

And my parents alwasy told me, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Everyone ( Ok, maybe most of us ) learn from there mistakes, it what makes us human. Like I said earlier carry on and enjoy the ride while we still can.

I have some "cents" regarding your "2 cents".

Many people here enter contests with their own creations, this in itself means they're going to be judged and/or criticized on their work. This doesn't mean that "bad things" will be said about them. There is a difference between a personal attack and expressing how you feel about a build that is being exhibitted (or posted).

Here is what I would consider to be a mean statement: "I see that you forgot to put a master cylinder in your 1962 Bel Air with the fantastic paint job, you really suck at this, don't you?"

Here is what I would consider to be fair and helpful judgement/criticism: "Your 1962 Bel Air has a fantastic paint job, I noticed that there was no master cylinder, it may have affected how you placed in this class."

In this particular example, the builder may have forgotten to put in a master cylinder or may not have known that a 1962 Bel Air even had a master cylinder (hard to imagine...right?). A receptive builder might say: "Darn it, I knew I was forgetting something." A too sensitive builder might think: "Haters gonna hate."

Both of those statements actually point out the same strengths/weaknesses, the first would not be accepted well unless you were real good "buds" with the builder, the second SHOULD be accepted well by the builder if the builder actually wants to place in a contest. If the builder doesn't want to place in a contest then it's just a show and the builder doesn't care to place.

Wow! That's a pretty dirty way to treat a guy that helps Gregg sell magazines! And yes, when one of John's models is on the cover of MCM, it helps sell the magazine on the news stand. Since John is building an exact replica of that car, you're pretty much saying the same thing about his build. It's one thing to voice an opinion, but that was over the top. :rolleyes:

After seeing any of John's work, I doubt anyone can say that he doesn't have the skills to correct the valve covers on this build. So, it's a non issue. Even if he doesn't fix it, I doubt many judges will actually catch it. They'll be too busy pouring over all of the other great details in this build to notice it.

Roger........thank you so much for your words.........I totally agree with you........that was a big slap in my face.......I thought I have been loyal to this Forum........but,I was wrong.........I would have never thought in a million years that a Moderator would say that about my work......... I just wanted to see if I could build the thing.........now,both of us will either get warning points our get banned.........oh well,life goes on. :)