Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bogus Bands

Harry P.

I heard an ad on the radio today for a "big show" in Elgin, IL coming up for "Deep Purple" and "The Orchestra."

The problem is, Jon Lord (the keyboardist of Deep Purple and a huge part of their sound) is dead. And some previous members of Electric Light Orchesta that now go by the name "The Orchestra" (minus the real brains of the outfit and the main ELO songwriter, Jeff Lynne) isn't the same as the actual Electric Light Orchestra.

I guess what bugs me is that this all seems to be sort of false advertising. "Deep Purple" without Jon Lord isn't Deep Purple. The current "Boston" (minus Brad Delp, who is dead) isn't Boston, etc.

I know what you mean and I'm sympathetic, but I feel like people who are likely to attend such things have enough advance warning about the composition of the groups playing. I saw Black Sabbath in 1980 without Ozzy, which isn't really Black Sabbath. That was as close as I was ever going to get. In that case it wasn't a matter of the Grim Reaper thinning the ranks. Last year I got to see The Sonics in Portland and, of course, some of the guys didn't get to make it; however, it featured all the guys who really matter (vocals, guitar, sax, keys) so I was super happy.

Just like "Squeeze" ( Velvet Underground , 1973 ) : zero original members ( Cale got "fired" in 1968 ; Reed boned-out before 'Loaded' was released in 1970 ; Tucker didn't play on the aforementioned album ; and , Morrison left in 1971 . Doug Yule ( John Cale's *replacement* ) carried the band's name on from 1971-1973 , with all-new members .

What's the MC5 sans Tyner (deceased , age 46 , in 1991) , Smith (deceased , age 45 , in 1994) , and Davis (deceased , age 68 , in 2011) ? Well , at least Kramer and Thompson don't intimate any sort of sembalence vis-a-vis a "reunion" (Okay , the D-K-T / MC3 shows are the only exception !).

Now with 3/4 of the original Stooges deceased ( Alexander , age 27 , in 1975 ; the Asheton brothers : Ron , age 61 , in 2009 ; and Scott , age 64 , in 2014 ) , how can they go-on under that nomenclature ? Maybe a rekindling of the Kill Cities type stuff can be resurrected by Pop & Williamson ...

Last year I got to see The Sonics in Portland and, of course, some of the guys didn't get to make it; however, it featured all the guys who really matter (vocals, guitar, sax, keys) so I was super happy.

The Sonics !!! An influential , inspirational , supersonic band that's underrated . Huge influence on the Garage bands and the Proto-Punk bands .

How'd they sound ?

"Names on Jerseys Come & Go, but Loyal Bear Fans Always Show" This was a slogan in Chi-town during the great NFL strike many years ago.. I guess with some music fans it don't matter either.

I don't know about other players in CHICAGO but one killed himself many years ago. Not a horn player though.

Anybody else not able to listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Sorry but that band is the of the few that can still put on a good show with the revolving door of players. The difference is they do not get all high and mighty and leave , they pass away.

Johnny does his brother proud with his ability .

They did not quit making cars because the founders of the companies died .

It doesn't matter to me 99% of the time. Your favorite football team is made up of entirely different people than it was 20 years ago, but you still follow them. I don't typically write off a band simply for replacing one key member. Or two. Or three...

I will admit I was against the idea of Chester Bennington- the lead singer of a band I passionately hate (Linkin Park) stepping in to replace Scott Weiland- lead singer of a band I love (Stone Temple Pilots), but after I kind of choked back the dry-heaves and actually listened to the songs, I thought a Weiland-free STP might actually work. And, lo and behold, turns out maybe Bennington wasn't the sucky lead vocalist I'd originally written him off to be. (It should be noted that I still can't stand Linkin Park...)

In many cases it's an improvement- I really think Black Sabbath got better when Ronnie James Dio replaced Ozzy Osbourne. I also thought Vinny Appice brought a little more to the band- not that he was a better drummer than Bill Ward, he just had a different style he brought with him. I generally prefer Van Hagar to Van Halen. Know what? They were still good with Gary Cherone (just not as good as they were with Roth or Hagar). Megadeth was down to being basically just Dave Mustaine and three session musicians for a few years- even during that time they could still produce a decent album and put on a great live performance. And any Megadeth fan will tell you they put out their best stuff when guitarist #3 and drummer #3 (Marty Friedman and Nick Menza, respectively) were in the band. The grindcore band Napalm Death has none- repeat NONE- of its original members, and hasn't for about 25 years, yet that's seemingly done little to diminish their fanbase. On a similar vein- how many "solo" performers, like, for instance, Alice Cooper, have gone through more supporting bands than anyone would want to count?

Sometimes bringing back an original member can bring dire consequences- just ask any Morbid Angel fan what happened when they brought back David Vincent after he'd been out of the band for almost a decade. Then again, they did the album which featured his return without their original drummer...

Then again, pretty much the same thing happened with Anthrax when they brought back Joey Belladonna, and they managed to actually put out a good album, after a couple of less-than-thrilling albums with John Bush on vocals.

I do know it cuts both ways, though, even for me- the band called Guns N' Roses today would be more accurately described as "Axl Rose and Whatever Fifteen Other People He Managed to Drag Out On The Road". But that could just be because so many people stopped caring about Axl Rose around 1995 or so. :P I can handle Jason Bonham behind the drum kit with Led Zepplin, but I couldn't see Pink Floyd without Richard Wright.

When John Bonhman died, Led Zeppelin was still one of the most popular bands in the world. They could easily have gotten a replacement drummer and gone on, and made a lot more money... but they decided that without John Bonham, there would not be a Led Zeppelin. A classy move, IMO.

It doesn't matter to me 99% of the time. Your favorite football team is made up of entirely different people than it was 20 years ago, but you still follow them. I don't typically write off a band simply for replacing one key member. Or two. Or three...

You can't compare a sports team to a band. Sports are sports, and the arts are the arts.

A better comparison would be a if famous artist, say Andy Warhol, dies and there is a new guy (who can paint in more or less the same style) that takes his place and continues on being "Andy Warhol."

Or a big name movie star like Harrison Ford decides to retire, so the studio hires a look-alike to continue acting in movies, billed as "Harrison Ford."

It's true that a lot of bands have always had a steady stream of new people replacing old ones, and it's kind of expected to see a revolving door of members... but there are some iconic bands that just aren't the same with a replacement lineup. Boston without Brad Delp is a Boston cover band. Pink Floyd without David Gilmour or Roger Waters isn't Pink Floyd. Led Zeppelin without Jimmy Page isn't Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones without Mick Jagger aren't the Rolling Stones, etc.

When John Bonhman died, Led Zeppelin was still one of the most popular bands in the world. They could easily have gotten a replacement drummer and gone on, and made a lot more money... but they decided that without John Bonham, there would not be a Led Zeppelin. A classy move, IMO.

Agreed!

I do have to say in their defence that Phish never intended to take the place of the Grateful Dead. The Dead were more geared towards folk and Phish are more of a jazz improv sound. The only thing they have in common is the extension of their jams......

Oh, and I'm sorry if my avatar offends anyone with different musical taste than me.....