Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bogus Bands

Harry P.

I inherited my grandfather's axe.

Years ago I replaced the head.

Recently I had to replace the handle.

Is it still my grandfather's axe ? ;)

That reminds me of a guy I used to work for, who was always bragging about his Saab having like a gazillion miles on it and still going strong. The fact that just about everything that can be replaced had been replaced, sometimes several times over, didn't seem to matter... :lol:

Pink Floyd ( originally , The Pink Floyd Sound ) "stopped" being Pink Floyd as early as 1967 (with its guitarist / songwriter , Syd Barrett , now "relieved of his duties") , but maybe as late as 1979 (Roger Waters' defection) .

Pink Floyd , c.1965 (no David Gilmour to be found !)

post-6643-0-48817800-1407703191_thumb.jp

Pink Floyd , c.1967

post-6643-0-50604800-1407703150_thumb.jp

It's akin to comparing , ahem , Apples and Oranges ... :rolleyes:

I do have to say in their defence that Phish never intended to take the place of the Grateful Dead. The Dead were more geared towards folk and Phish are more of a jazz improv sound. The only thing they have in common is the extension of their jams......

Oh, and I'm sorry if my avatar offends anyone with different musical taste than me.....

Just quoting an oft heard phrase from back in the day. ;)

I am a life long Deadhead and realize what Phish was, as well as what it was not.

I for one love the new avatar.

:lol:

G

You know, I really think Zepplin handled it right straight from the get go. Jimmy Page joined a revolving door band called The Yardbirds just in time for the two remaining members to get mad at each other and both quit, leaving him with "the band", but no members outside of himself. Since he bow was now the band and had obligations to uphold, he had to rebuild the band from scratch, bringing in Jones, Bonham, and Plant to join him, creating Led Zepplin from the ashes of The Yardbirds. Even though they were now officially Zepplin, they had to perform at a number of shows as The New Yardbirds, since there were contracts for Yardbirds performances prior to everybody else walking away. From there, it is now Rock and Roll legend.

Van Halen with Hagar was a sad era, for me at least, and I never bought one Van Hagar album but l will give them credit for a few decent songs they managed to spew out. The 3 minutes that Gary Cherone was in the band for still gives me the heebie jeebies.

You know, I really think Zepplin handled it right straight from the get go. Jimmy Page joined a revolving door band called The Yardbirds just in time for the two remaining members to get mad at each other and both quit, leaving him with "the band", but no members outside of himself. Since he bow was now the band and had obligations to uphold, he had to rebuild the band from scratch, bringing in Jones, Bonham, and Plant to join him, creating Led Zepplin from the ashes of The Yardbirds. Even though they were now officially Zepplin, they had to perform at a number of shows as The New Yardbirds, since there were contracts for Yardbirds performances prior to everybody else walking away. From there, it is now Rock and Roll legend.

Right! Jimmy Page joined the Yardbirds in 1966; soon after, the Yardbirds crashed and burned... but they still had concert dates in Scandinavia that they were under contract to play. So JP gathered up a few of his pals (Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham) and fulfilled the Yardbirds' contract by playing those dates in 1968 as the "New Yardbirds." Then Chris Dreja (a member of the Yardbirds before their implosion) had his lawyer issue a "cease and desist" order that stated that the name "New Yardbirds" could only be used to fulfill those Scandinavian concert dates, and not further. And so the band "Led Zeppelin" was born.

Interesting story...

Bogus Bands... it depends on where the scale tips. Foreigner is still going, even though there's only been one original member for years. But Mick Jones was the founder, chief songwriter and vortex since its inception. It's his band to do what he bloody well wants.

Fractional bands that come to mind: Credence Clearwater Revisited, The Doors of the 21st Century (Manzarek & Krieger only).

There are many internet articles about bands with only one, maybe two remaining original members. Truth is, most bands hit their heyday without all their original members. There are few bands that have not been in constant flux. Almost every classic rock band through the 90's might as well be called a Bogus Band today.

Edited by Lunajammer

I just saw Foreigner, Styx, REO Speedwagon, Don Felder...I had a lot fun. the music was good even though some of the original guys were no longer with the bands. Good entertainment. If I want to listen to the originals I just spin up some vinyl.

My wife and I saw Boston several years ago.They sucked with out Brad Delp.Used to be my favorite band.

What? Bred Delp was replaced on tour with a guy they found on You Tube who sounded exactly like him. I saw a double header of Boston and Styx a few years ago and both bands were great and sounded just like the old days. Boston IS Tom Scholz, the electronics wizard who created the Boston sound. Being at that concert and seeing him do the long guitar pieces with his eyes closed and totally in the moment was great!

Bogus Bands... it depends on where the scale tips. Foreigner is still going, even though there's only been one original member for years. But Mick Jones was the founder, chief songwriter and vortex since its inception. It's his band to do what he bloody well wants.

Fractional bands that come to mind: Credence Clearwater Revisited, The Doors of the 21st Century (Manzarek & Krieger only).

There are many internet articles about bands with only one, maybe two remaining original members. Truth is, most bands hit their heyday without all their original members. There are few bands that have not been in constant flux. Almost every classic rock band through the 90's might as well be called a Bogus Band today.

Fractional bands,,,like Kiss?

Most of the rock bands from the 70s and 80s are glorified cover bands, 1 or 2 original members, come on. There only a few bands that are still the original members, motley crue, poison, are a few that come to mind but were not GREAT bands, like a Led Zeppelin or Beatles.

KISS is half bogus, as Gene chose to have the 2 non original members in Peter and Aces get ups, but then again they are a show, not a band.

That may be the truth, but it is still half a cover band, and as harry stated, a marketing machine, they are a brand, not a band. Mediocre at best musically, awesome show, and t-shirts, lunch boxes, stickers, wigs, platform stripper boots galore, with the KISS brand on them

Edited by Petetrucker07