Model Cars Magazine Forum

'87 Buick Grand National G/SA

W-409

As you have maybe noticed, I can't build one model at a time. So here goes another Stock Eliminator Drag Car Project. I just bought Monogram '87 Buick GNX and this is the first version, I'm going to build from this kit. I have planned to do one Factory Stock GNX, one Bracket Racer and one Pro Sportsman GNX too, at some point since this car has really potential.

Okay, this will be with the 6 cylinder Turbo engine, and it will run in G/SA with NHRA index of 12,00 seconds. As inspiration, I will use "Luppe" Luoso's '84 Buick Regal Stocker what raced here in Finland on late 80's. The kit is very nice, only thing I found bad, is that there are a lot of molded in wires on the engine bay. They need to be removed, and I will make new ones from aftermarket wire.

This will be Stocker as it could be on the 80's. I'm going with Centerline style wheels and Good Year slicks. I don't have good front tires, those are the highest profile tires I found my spare parts boxes. Yes they are 50's whitewall tires, but I will modify them to real Frontrunners. Shouldn't be too hard. I had to do little work for the rear tires to get those wheels fit right.

Engine block is also glued together, but I don't have any pictures of it right now.

PA200083_zps7d18a3e8.jpg

PA200111_zpsf67b32a5.jpg

An Early Mockup:

PA200112_zpsabc9648c.jpg

PA200113_zps090360ca.jpg

The stance is not 100% right in that picture, more important was to check tire sizes, front tires have to be little higher, otherwise everything looks pretty good to me.

:lol: :lol: Thanx Guys!

I cant believe how many builds you have going.....Do you have a job? LOL

Nah, there are "only" 50 or 60 projects in different stages. :lol: They're waiting for repaint, putty, parts or something else. And Yeah, I have a job.... Kind of. I'm at High School. ;) It gives more time to build than regular job, I guess but it takes too much modeling time anyway. :D

And where do you have room to keep all these projects going on? Do they all get boxed up every night?

The room is huge problem nowadays :rolleyes: :

PA250154.jpg

PA250158.jpg

Underside of my Bed. You can see that blue box behind of those model boxes, there are some more models...

PA250156.jpg

PA2501591.jpg

PA2501600.jpg

PA2501571.jpg

And that's not all, I have few boxes more, Jo-Hans and other rare kits.

You asked that do they get boxed again every night, no. The ones I'm working, can stay on the bench over night as well. Usually there is one Main project and another one as back burner, which is built while another one dries. ;)

Not much progress to show yet. I've done lot of sanding to the engine block and tomorrow I managed to get it painted. It's Gloss Black, as kit instructions say. I don't know about real car's engine color. Engine is so full of stuff in pictures that I can't see the engine block surely, but I guess it's black.

PA240152.jpg

Not much done, but something anyway. I started making the Front Runners. Other tire is now sanded with 400 grit sanding paper. I have to sand it with 600 and 1000 papers too, and then do the same work to back side. And after that, there's still another one to do. I'll try to get that tire completed, or at least closer to complete before posting a picture.

Also painted some engine parts, but more of them later when I start the assembly.

• 5 months later...

Yep, that might be true. I don't know whose car it officially was, but it was Luppe Luoso who drove it here in Finland.

img934.jpg

But I do have all of the V8 Magazines and Street & Race Magazines from those years, so I will be checking this thing from there.... :D Just because it interests me too.

Yep, that is the same car before Luoso was driving it. But that's new info for me that Jukka set NHRA Record with it. :blink: I knew he raced with it in the States, but looks like it was running excellent.