Model Cars Magazine Forum

#51 Mello Yello Lumina

Guest roadkill2525

Guest roadkill2525

Back in 2000 I built a Mello Yello Lumina, it was built in about two weeks and looked horrible. I had brush painted a number of pieces as well as the green on the body, put the roof number upside down, and pretty much didn't piant according to direction.

Well its 2008 and im starting a new one! Ok, I've already started it last week but I was just stripping the bad paint and planning things out. The kit will included parts from a R-M 2003 Harvick kit and part box stuff. Hopefully I can get this finished along with my '87 Grand National in time for the NNL West.

Modifications so far:

exhaust, oil cooler, cylinder heads and intake manifold from Monte Carlo

air cleaner from a junked Thunderbird

exhuast opening on skirt filled and one for the jack cut out

holes for jack studs drilled

Edited by roadkill2525

cant wait to see some in progress shots!!

I've almost got my pennzoil pontiac done, but got bit by the monogram decal sheets hand grenading on me when I tried to use them.

got ahold of mike, and he has 2 sheets he's sending me for $3.00....

thankd again for turning me onto mikes decals, he is a class act!!!

Guest roadkill2525

First update.

IMG_0096.jpg

filled in the exhaust cutout and a space opened for the jack

IMG_0090.jpg

seat covering is painted fabric black and metal backing is aluminium plate metalizer with dullcote, the 3rd member is Krylon rust brown primer, and the carb is Tamiya gold with dullcote.

Im starting to get the hang of the camera.

Guest roadkill2525

Another quick update, not much done because of cold weather. These were done the days before is started raining.

intake manifold was a pain to paint, wouldn't stay on the stand and the aluminum plate metalizer didn't look right when sparyed on.

IMG_0118.jpg

heads are titanium metalizer

IMG_0120.jpg

The next few days will be spent watching Days of Thunder and when it gets sunny again I'll take pics of the first Mello Yello car I built for comparison.

Guest roadkill2525

Here's a few pics of the first Mello Yello Lumina I built (poorly). I did the model because I've had it since 1990, so in 2000 I decided to give it a shot. Being my third real model since most were 1/32 snap kits I really messed up a nice kit.

IMG_0143.jpg

Kinda hard not to notice the roof number

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

As for a update on the current one, cold and wet weather prevents any real progress.

Edited by roadkill2525

Guest roadkill2525

It had to happen, I was test fitting the engine and its to tall for the Lumina. The heads and intake from the Monte Carlo look great but will not make it work. So It'll be another week till I finish the new engine with the Lumina parts.

Guest roadkill2525

Doing some work, not much as I wanted to because of weather and some hopeful job interviews.

IMG_0165.jpg

These are the engines, the top one is too tall so I had to start a second.

IMG_0167.jpg

I pulled the valve covers out of the #5 Tide Lumina, why doesn't this have the Hendrick Motorsports covers? Who knows.

IMG_0173.jpg

The tires were scuffed with a wood file and 200 sand paper.

Edited by roadkill2525

Guest roadkill2525

Got the chassis started, pianting it Gloss Gull Grey. Got some color pics so I can detail the engine. May have just the rolling chassis for NNL West.

IMG_0167.jpg

I pulled the valve covers out of the #5 Tide Lumina, why doesn't this have the Hendrick Motorsports covers? Who knows?

because the only difference in the kits for the #5 tide car and say dale's #3 would have been the decals. revellogram wouldn't have tooled different molds for different owners valve covers.