Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frankenstein revealed

Zoom Zoom

How's this for a name................"Muschallmaro". ;)

That sounds suspiciously like the name of some pharmaceutical that they're pushing down people's throats...if you ever watch the evening news, you know what I'm talking about! One cookie-cutter drug ad after another after another :(

Thanks for all the input so far, painting is going well today. It was wet sanded w/2400 grit Micromesh, coated w/Tamiya Fine gray primer, and then decanted Testors Grabber Orange. You can see some of the design subtleties better now that there's some gloss to it; you can now see how I tied together the crease from the center of the car into the front/rear fenders.

Each step gets me more psyched to get it done, as it's finally at the point that it's turning out pretty well as planned. Wish me luck and no more big roadblocks, this thing could be done by this time next week :lol:

IMG_7724-vi.jpg

IMG_7725-vi.jpg

With this & the Digger 'cuda in color, I have something for our ACME show 'n tell @ the meeting today, unlike the last two months where I wasn't productive at all :lol:

Bob, that looks great "in color". You certainly have an eye for design. Look forward to seeing this one with wheels. With that said, what have you in mind for wheels? That really ties all of it together in my opinion. Bad wheel choice as you know can wreck all that work. I have no doubt you have the right wheels.

Chris

Bob, that looks great "in color". You certainly have an eye for design. Look forward to seeing this one with wheels. With that said, what have you in mind for wheels? That really ties all of it together in my opinion. Bad wheel choice as you know can wreck all that work. I have no doubt you have the right wheels.

Chris

Another big question--curbside or what engine? Ford engine? Chevy engine? Mopar engine? Or something totally from left field...

Another big question--curbside or what engine? Ford engine? Chevy engine? Mopar engine? Or something totally from left field...

Here ya go Rob, Bob mentioned this earlier:

"Curbside, no motor, chassis there to locate the body and hang the four wheels."

Chris

Chris

Thanks. Wheels...hmmm B) . I have a set that I'm 95% sure I'll use; Maisto 1/24 scale '05 Mustang GT wheels. They are 18's w/ concave spokes (scale out more like 19's in 1/25 scale). My plan is to paint them in polished aluminum w/the recessed spokes painted gunmetal, detailed out kind of like you see on the modern Hurst Challenger/Camaro conversions.

That's the plan so far. Plans can and do change at this point. I need to do some careful block sanding on the hood/decklid to get rid of some surface imperfections. The car is so subtle I'm going to have to show it with photos/sketches of what I did, or most people will have no clue what's going on here, even though it's rather provocative :P

Very slick work there! I like it a lot.

Are there any defunct car manufacturers from the past that you like that you could put on this? (There are hundreds in automotive history) A "what-if-they-still-made-cars" deal. If so, pick a badge they used that you like too! For instance, from the same retro era, AMC Javelin was mentioned. It's your car! Give it a name.

Bob, it's a really cool car! Like many others have said, the different body parts all work together so well, it's incredible! The headline is a bit misleading, as this doesn't at all look like some Frankenstein. You fixed the too tall sides of the Challenger, using the Camaro body, and the 'Stang rear works too. Kind of like the old Impalas that always had three taillights on each side. Can't wait to see it finished. I really must get crackin' on some of my projects.... :P

Edited by Modellpularn

I almost missed this thread because of the name "Frankenstein"...this is no ugly monster. Beautiful build...this is exactly what I think model building should be...allowing ones creativity to think up, design and build something that has never been seen before. This is a great bit of kitbashing...not over the top at all. Subtle but unique. I personally, would not worry about a name for it....it's design speaks loudly enough.

Thanks for all the replies :)

I'm leaning towards graphics reminiscent of this car:

challengerstripes-vi.jpg

Satin/semigloss black hood w/body color stripes, bringing the black to the fender edges and extending to the lower corner of the quarter glass, like an AAR Barracuda. I doubt I'll do any other stripes. The wheels I have set aside for this should be pretty close to the Hurst wheels as well. Hopefully I'll have the body painted/cleared later this week.

• 2 weeks later...