Model Cars Magazine Forum

1-8 nostalgia top fuel

comp1839

al, i start with a 5" diameter piece of neoprene.

001-3.jpg

i square both sides of the piece to the proper width. next i remove most of the center w/ a hole saw.

008-4.jpg

then a 2" cutter to finish the i.d.

009-4.jpg

then do a step cut to make the outside of what would be the tire bead. then a corner rounding bit for the inside radius of the side wall. then i use a corner rounding bit for the outside radius of the sidewall.

003-2.jpg

when you're done.......bam....some big ole' tires.

005.jpg

hope this helps.

If I may ask, where do you get your neoprene from? ....Joe

romell, haven't heard any response. hope i didn't scare you off. LOL. you did say "let's just assume cost is not an issue." there are some nice table top mills you can get for under $1500 and i've seen some lathes for under $1000 that would probably be acceptable to do 1/8 scale work. once again people, realize these are MY choices. i'm sure some of you out there are doing fine with smaller or less expensive units.

Sorry ive been a litle busy and Ive checked into milling machine, and ive found a lathe now its all about getting some work done on it. Oh and by the way thanks for all the great information you were able to give me. Take care bro. Romell

Edited by Aftashox