Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi RPS13 180SX Type-X

CrewDawg15

It's been a while since I've had a project on the table...of course packing everything up and moving to the other side of the world has played a role in that ;)

As some of you guys that know me know that I'm not satisfied with a plain jane build. I love converting curbside kits into almost full detailed models....especially Fujimi kits. They are not the best on the market, but they make the subjects I like to build. By the time I get done with them, they are usually 20% Fujimi, and 80% Me...that's how I got the nickname FuJimmy.

A few months ago, I took my Fairlady roadster model to work to set up on my desk.

dscf5277.jpg

A friend of mine was so impressed with the work that he asked me to replicate his own car...a Nissan 180SX. He has a lot of plans for it and wants me to build it to look like it will be once he's all done with all the work. I agreed, and ordered a Fujimi 180SX off of Amazon Japan (I do love being back over here :o)

I then got started on the engine...Nissan's very popular SR20DET. I decided to make my own since I only have two choices when it comes to the scale versions: Aoshima's top half SR20 from one of their Silva kits, or the Parts Box resin engine...IMO, both are horrible when it comes to accuracy and looks. Plus, I needed another engine to add to my growing collection of scratch built Mitsubishi, Nissan, and Toyota engines B)

Enough of my ramblings, and on to the progress so far:

Block:

dscf5403w.jpg

Short block assembly:

dscf5425t.jpg

...and how it fits so far in the car:

dscf5432.jpg

dscf5435.jpg

Still a lot more to do the short block assembly before I'm completely happy with it. I'm just curently fabbing up the major components of the engine before adding in the final details.

Thanks for looking.

Jimmy

Interesting build, looks good so far. Where did you get the engine from?

Almost all of the kits I have are Japanese curbsides with no engine detail. rather than settle for that I decided to start making my own engines. I make mainly Nissan and Toyota engines since they make up a majority of my kit collection. Also, what I make is not readily available in scale form. Here's a few that I have fabbed up in the past:

dscf50722.jpg

dscf2593p.jpg

dscf5085i.jpg

1000978rm9.jpg

I built this motor from scratch from Evergreen styrene Rod, sheet, and quarter round using a factory service manual and numerous pics I got off of the net. Also, I'm lucky enough to take a few snaps and measurements of my friend's real car.

Thanks Mike and Dave, it's good to be building again :lol:

what kind of car is the red one? Looks like an Evo 8 or 9. If it is where'd you get it?

It's a Fujimi Evo VIII. I picked up in Japan the last time I was stationed here about 8 years ago. I couldn't have an engineless Evo, so I whipped up a 4G63 engine, tranny, and transfer case assembly for it. Unfortunately, I lost enterest in it so it's been boxed for about 4 years now.

Thanks Brad and Jeff, I'll try to do it justice. Of course the style is not really me, but I'm helping someone else's dreams become a reality.

Thanks for looking.

Jimmy

i'd love to be able to go to some hobbyshops in Japan! i'd probably be flat broke in no time though.

what style is the 180 going to be done in?

I was really looking forward to getting back to do some more shopping, but was really dissapointed when a lot of my usual model shops were closed down, or had quit selling car kits alltogether :) Plus, the price of kits have nearly doubled...what used to cost 1000 to 2000 yen now costs 2600 to 4000 yen. Also, when I left, it was 138 yen to the dollar. Now I'm lucky to get 83 yen for my dollar B) I'm not too sure how the styling is going to be just quite yet. My friend is still making up the build list. I figured I'd get a head start on the motor in the meantime.

I got a bit more done today. I fabbed up the valve cover, and timing chain cover...just the oil pan is left for the main parts. I made it so you could see the coil packs...that is when I get around to making them :D. I didn't get all of the ribbing detail on the timing chain cover, but I feel that the effect is still funcional. Here's what I've got so far:

dscf5491.jpg

dscf5466.jpg

dscf5473.jpg

I still have more detail to add to the components. I'm just doing a little bit at a time so I don't get burned out :P

Thanks for looking.

• 8 months later...

It's been a while since I've got back to this one. Last year was a busy one:

1. Moving back to Japan

2. Going back to the states for technical training

3. Spending half of spring and all of my summer in Alaska

...needless for me to say I have had some fun :D, but I have not really had time to build. As I said in the 3T-G thread, I'm going to take a break, and knock out some comission work...mainly this little beast. It's been almost a year since I told my friend that I would build his car, so I need to get back cracking on it. The more I looked at my block timing cover, head and valve cover, the more I didn't like what I saw. So, I decided to start all over from scratch. I fabbed up a new block, timing cover and an all new upper oil pan. Here's a comparison of the two blocks:

dscf6089.jpg

...and a couple of shots with my old head, and valve cover...for reference sake...I'll be fabbing up new ones of those as well:

dscf6065.jpg

dscf6068.jpg

dscf6070q.jpg

I like the way my new SR has turned out so much better than the old one...I feel that the proportions are more closer to the real deal than my old setup was. and to close this post out...a in-car shot of it sitting in it's new home:

dscf6077k.jpg

dscf6086e.jpg

As always...still a lot more to do to this one before I start casting it.

Thanks for looking,

Jimmy

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see you back at this, Jimmy. I am in the market for an RPS13 myself, and will have to give you a shout when I get one and you get these motors ready for resale!

On a side note, did you re-classify? Are you still Crewing on the 15?

Thanks guys!

Bradly, I went back to Texas Mishap Investigation Course. I'm now qualified to be a crash investigator. I still get to run the jets...all 50,000 lbs of thrust :D...but I do not get to work on them as much...MSgt's (E-7) get other duties.

Last weekend was a disaster for the SR...I just couldn't get anything right. So I put it away and let the week pass by. I got a three day weekend, so after recharging my batteries, I started at it again. I re-attacked the head, and valve cover after reworking the front profile of the engine block. Here's how it all turned out:

dscf6102b.jpg

dscf6106q.jpg

dscf6121v.jpg

Just about every detail is there from the CAS boss to the timing chain tensioner to the cutouts on the vlave cover flanges. There is one more detail that I cannot figure out is the valve that's behind the timing chain tensioner...it looks like it has something to do with the cooling system, but I cannot locate it in the FSM...it really driving me crazy that I cannot see what it looks like so I can model it.

dscf6096n.jpg

I like the proportions a lot better than my old head and valve cover. There are a lot more details to add, but I got a little burnt out from the head and valve cover...off for the intake and exhaust before finishing the rest of the details up.

Thanks for looking!

Jimmy

Good to see you back at this, Jimmy. I am in the market for an RPS13 myself, and will have to give you a shout when I get one and you get these motors ready for resale!

On a side note, did you re-classify? Are you still Crewing on the 15?

Thanks guys!

Bradly, I went back to Texas for Mishap Investigation Course. I'm now qualified to be a crash investigator. I still get to run the jets...all 50,000 lbs of thrust :D...but I do not get to work on them as much...MSgt's (E-7) get other duties.

Last weekend was a disaster for the SR...I just couldn't get anything right. So I put it away and let the week pass by. I got a three day weekend, so after recharging my batteries, I started at it again. I re-attacked the head, and valve cover after reworking the front profile of the engine block. Here's how it all turned out:

dscf6102b.jpg

dscf6106q.jpg

dscf6121v.jpg

Just about every detail is there from the CAS boss to the timing chain tensioner to the cutouts on the vlave cover flanges. There is one more detail that I cannot figure out is the valve that's behind the timing chain tensioner...it looks like it has something to do with the cooling system, but I cannot locate it in the FSM...it really driving me crazy that I cannot see what it looks like so I can model it.

dscf6096n.jpg

I like the proportions a lot better than my old head and valve cover. There are a lot more details to add, but I got a little burnt out from the head and valve cover...off for the intake and exhaust before finishing the rest of the details up.

Thanks for looking!

Jimmy

Jimmy...can you show me a picture of the valve you are questioning? If it's what I think it is, it's pcv related...

oh and this looks great! I look forward to possibly picking one of these up :-)

Thanks for the offer Gray, but Luis (rollin80's) pointed me in the right direction...it is a little elbow that houses the water temp sensor and another switch...something the I'll probably not bother fabricating since it is just as easy to replicate it with thick wire.

I spent the first couple of days after my surgery researching my next project...more to come on that one later ;) I was feeling much better. My wife told me that I looked bored so she set up my work area to make it easier to get around on crutches :D

My friend had a specific list of items he wanted on his motor, so after a few hours reserching, I got cracking on a Greddy/Trust lower oil pan sump, and football intake. He also wanted a 1998 and up Silvia (S15) turbo for this one since he is going to be building his real car the same way.

dscf6167.jpg

Here's what she looks like with her new oil pan, intake, and T28 turbo:

dscf6155p.jpg

dscf6141t.jpg

dscf6143e.jpg

...and yet another in car shot...

dscf6162x.jpg

While I was at it, I added a few more details that I hadn't got to yet like the water pump, and a few more bolt details.

Thanks for looking,

Jimmy

Jimmy, the better this looks, the more I start putting off that S13 I finally bought! I was just going to build it curbside, but your SR20DET just looks like it is calling to ALL Fujimi S-series cars!

On a side note, you plan on making this one a regular sale engine (like some of your other excellent engines)?