Model Cars Magazine Forum

New engine models from Hawk

Greg Myers

What is odd is some of the Hawk engine kits are listed as 1/6th scale and some are listed as 1/4th scale (426 Hemi)..

The 1/6 scale HAWK die-cast, pre-painted Ford Flathead kit is #11081, and was produced. The 1/4 scale HAWK (Lindberg) transparent plastic Ford Flathead is kit #11090, and was never produced, per Brett's confirmation above.

You can view them both in the 2009 Lindberg/HAWK catalog here: https://www.krick-modell.de/Endkunden/92218%20Lindberg-Hawk%20Katalog%202009.pdf

The 1/6 scale are die-cast and fit in with the Liberty Classics (sold as Revell kits) line.

the 1/4 Hemis were originally the visible clear plastic kits manufactured by J Lloyd and sold by Testors before J Lloyd bought the Hawk brandname, but now with diecast engine blocks.

Edited by Brett Barrow

Weird. Why put it in the catalog if it doesn't exist? Or if it existed, why was it cancelled? Why design complete finished box art for a kit you're not going to actually make? :blink:

Inquiring minds want to know... ^_^

It was a J Lloyd project and apparently the new Hawk/Lindberg owners (Round 2) don't want to do it. J Lloyd was always long on ambition, but always short on cash. You have to complete a box mockup to get preliminary licensing approval from Ford, so that explains why they did the box first. Looks like they even got to the actual product mock-up stage. Who knows, they could have even tooled it up before running out of money. If that's the case, somebody could come along with the cash and release it, but it doesn't look like it'll be Round 2.

Edited by Brett Barrow

It was a J Lloyd project and apparently the new Hawk/Lindberg owners (Round 2) don't want to do it. J Lloyd was always long on ambition, but always short on cash. You have to complete a box mockup to get preliminary licensing approval from Ford, so that explains why they did the box first. Looks like they even got to the actual product mock-up stage. Who knows, they could have even tooled it up before running out of money. If that's the case, somebody could come along with the cash and release it, but it doesn't look like it'll be Round 2.

Maybe JoHan will do it? :lol:

The non-visible 1/6th scale Hawk flathead kit apparently does exist though...there are a few on eBay. The 1/6th one is also on Round2's Hawk webpage...http://round2models.com/models/hawk/ford-flat-engine

What is odd is some of the Hawk engine kits are listed as 1/6th scale and some are listed as 1/4th scale (426 Hemi)..

Yeah, I was going for all the 1/6th scale HEMI's. The last one would have been the 990 Super Stock version. But Noooo, they uped the scale to 1/4th. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. About a year ago I bought and built the non-visible pre-painted Hawk flat head kit. It's a very nice kit, and looks very good when it's done. From the color and other details, I believe it represents the flat head found in Fords in the late 40's. Over all, a fairly easy build. A little fussy installing some of rubber tubes representing spark plug wires, vacuum and fuel lines, what ever. But nothing I couldn't handle. And I make no claims at being a great model builder.

Built it in one afternoon at an MCCM (Model Car Club of Minnesota) group build day. Where members get together and work on individual models. I choose to build that one there, because we were meeting in a library, and I don't think the librarians would be to happy with my spray painting parts of other kits in there. Even with the pizzas and smart aleck banter, the model turned out very well and looked great in one of the libraries display cases after that.

R. Scott (aka Uncle Scott)

If it's based on the 1/6 one, it'll be a bone-stock post war middle series (59A) . It'll be 1/4 scale, the thread title has it wrong. I wouldn't get my hopes up too much, this thing has been on the books for a long time. But it hasn't been cancelled, while a lot of other J. Lloyd/Lindberg/Hawk announcements have been, so who knows?

Brett, cheer up, the glass is half full, not half empty. lol

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...