Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Indy Resin Parts

I have a project that I need 1/12 scale mid 70's Indy tires/rims and the Granitele engine and tranny assembly.

This engine was a DOHC with reverse cross flow head design (may not be the right description). It is very similar to the engine in the 1/12 Tamiya Honda RA273 kit with the exhaust exiting the inboard side of the head. I know AJ Foyt drove a Coyote/Ford with this engine and I think it was also used in the one of the Olsonsite cars. The description name I have of the engine is it's called a Granitlel STP Indy V8, if that helps.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Curt

• 3 weeks later...

I have a project that I need 1/12 scale mid 70's Indy tires/rims and the Granitele engine and tranny assembly.

This engine was a DOHC with reverse cross flow head design (may not be the right description). It is very similar to the engine in the 1/12 Tamiya Honda RA273 kit with the exhaust exiting the inboard side of the head. I know AJ Foyt drove a Coyote/Ford with this engine and I think it was also used in the one of the Olsonsite cars. The description name I have of the engine is it's called a Granitlel STP Indy V8, if that helps.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Curt

I know of no engine ever raced at Indianapolis termed that, which I assume was "Granitelli STP Indy V8". From the sounds of it, it's likely you are talking about the Ford 4-cam Indy V8, which dated from 1964, carried on through 1967 in normally aspirated form (255cid, with a bell shaped injector velocity stack for each cylinder, in the middle of the DOHC cylinder heads. The exhausts exited on the upper (or inner) sides of the cylinder heads, into tuned exhaust headers that were unaffectionately called "the bundle of snakes) for the way they intertwined with each other, going down to a 4-pipe collector for each tailpipe. This engine was used in many Indy cars from 1964-as late as 1968 (Gurney's All American Racers used one in the team car to Dan Gurney's #48 that year, which was powered by a 255cid Ford 4-cam V8, as were the 1965-67 Granitelli STP Lotus cars). AJ Foyt's 1965-67 Indianapolis entries (he won his 3rd 500 Mile Race with one in '67 used this engine also. These engines were ALL clearly badged FORD though.

In 1968, Ford destroked this engine to 161cid, added a turbocharger setup in place of the long tapered tailpipes, and it became the Turbo-Ford Indy V8. Only a couple of those made the race that year, most notably Mario Andretti, in his Overseas National Airways sponsored Brawner Hawk, which DNF'd. In 1969, Andretti, still driving a Brawner Hawk under the sponsorship and car ownership of Andy Granitelli, used this same engine to take the Checkered Flag, win his first Indy 500. About a third of the field that year used this engine, which was clearly marked FORD in raised letters cast onto the cam covers.

In 1970, Ford dropped their Indy engine program, and sold the Turbo Ford project to AJ Foyt, who had cam covers cast with FOYT on them, the engine being known from then on as the Foyt Turbo Indy V8.

Now back to your original question: I have never seen any 1/12 scale aftermarket stuff for Indy cars, simply because there could not have been more than a couple of Indy car kits in that scale.

Art