Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 914/6 GT

afx

Work continues on the chassis. I have ended up rebuilding the entrire rear clip. The original kit chassis is on the left with the new chassis on the right. Everything in white plastic has been scratch built. Also a quick mockup comparing the kit engine to Fujimi's

DSCN0874.JPG

Edited by afx

Here I have added the tierod tunnel and the front suspension mounting points. I have mocked up a roughy painted front suspension from an old built-up for comparsion to the kit chassis.

DSCN0892.JPGDSCN0893.JPG

Edited by afx

The kit interior included a molded-in passenger seat similar that on the left. I needed to remove it to create a stripped down racing interior. After grinding it out I infilled the opening with various styrene shapes. The black seat on the right is a proper racing seat which will mount to the seat rails that have been installed.

DSCN0882.JPGDSCN0883.JPG

Edited by afx

The molded in box is what the kit provides for a battery. Some .060 angle and sheet plastic to fabricate a battery shelf along with a parts box battery and we have a much better representation.

DSCN0887.JPG

DSCN0889.JPG

Edited by afx

I'm not a Porsche guy but always have a soft spot for the 914. I remember when they were new when I lived in Germany. I do own that Revell kit, still unbuilt, bought new in 1972. I'll be watching your interesting build. I do not have the knowledge of the 1:1 to discover the kit shortcomings, but immediately see once you show us the differences. Great work!

I'm not a Porsche guy but always have a soft spot for the 914. I remember when they were new when I lived in Germany. I do own that Revell kit, still unbuilt, bought new in 1972. I'll be watching your interesting build. I do not have the knowledge of the 1:1 to discover the kit shortcomings, but immediately see once you show us the differences. Great work!

Thanks Tom. I am using a 914 restorer's guide for reference-very helpful.

JC:

I really like your approach to building... simple shapes and sheet styrene just do wonders for a build like this....

Great work here!!!

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

Thanks Bill, If you break down the parts into shapes you will be surprised what you can scratch build.

These are the kind of projects that I love to do and to see what others do, taking a basic lump and making it into something show worthy. Nice work so far and I'm sure it'll turn out great, so keep us up to date with progress pics. Thanks for sharing!

These are the kind of projects that I love to do and to see what others do, taking a basic lump and making it into something show worthy. Nice work so far and I'm sure it'll turn out great, so keep us up to date with progress pics. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for your interest Dennis. I'll keep posting progress photos through completion.