Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 NASCAR new rides

jefropas

Main thing is even if they do it, I don't expect any kits of Gen 6 cars to be out before the fall at this rate due to the amount of tooling needed to do them up properly and the lead time needed for test shots (and they would be stupid to use their older Nascar tooling as a basis, even if they might use the 1990s vintage Lumina based chassis). Round 2 might be better suited since they at least have a COT based kit to start with (not sure if the Gen 6 rides will have that much in common though except possibly for wheel base and roll cage) and they are curbsides rather than full detail kits.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question: Since I have been out the hobby for a while, I had read that Slixx Decals had either closed up shop or stopped making NASCAR decals because they mentioned that licensing was getting really expensive. Is there an alternative now? I had tons of their decals saved for projects when I was building them a while back but when I got out of the hobby, I gave the decals to the guy who got the kits. Now I want to get back in building my favorite cars and I'm not sure there is an outlet to get decals from anymore? Anyone know?

Thanks in advance...

Scott

Edited by pa3de8

Looks like there are diecasts in 1:24th....I got the new NASCAR merch catalog in the mail yesterday, flipped through it a bit...

Thats a diecast, not a kit :lol: , they started working on the Gen6 diecast last year once all the new bodys styles were annouced and approved by NASCAR , I have been seeing rendering on other sites starting in Nov/Dec

Now on the topic, here is a reply to a person that is on a NASCAR model forum that sent Revell an email asking about new NASCAR kits

We are interested in releasing some new NASCAR kits, but only if we can get all the involved parties to agree to reasonable terms. We are still waiting on their responses. Please watch our website for details.

Regards,

Ed Sexton

Revell Inc.

1850 Howard St.

Elk Grove Village, IL 60007

Its all the money and how much its going to cost

Edited by martinfan5

How is the tooling on the newer kits? I see the pricing has gone up with the newer kits. Are the kits better to justify the price increase? I haven't built a NASCAR kit in a long, long time. When I stop in the stores and see some of the pricing on them it pretty much discourages me, lol.

Edited by pa3de8

I know, but at the rate it takes Revell to get a kit out, I'd rather go w/ the diecast. Revell is so slow, they probably won't have a '13 car out until the season is over...

I know Rob, I have been thinking about getting diecast from each make and seeing if I can get the master caster to make them in to resin for me

How is the tooling on the newer kits? I see the pricing has gone up with the newer kits. Are the kits better to justify the price increase? I haven't built a NASCAR kit in a long, long time. When I stop in the stores and see some of the pricing on them it pretty much discourages me, lol.

There hasn't been a new NASCAR kit to my knowledge since the AMT COT kits. Those are basically snap kits with no engine so chalk the price increase up to licensing and the general trend these days.

There hasn't been a new NASCAR kit to my knowledge since the AMT COT kits. Those are basically snap kits with no engine so chalk the price increase up to licensing and the general trend these days.

Figures. The last new NASCAR kit was ages ago. Since I was away from the hobby I wasn't really watching what was being produced but did read that SLIXX went out of business due to licensing issues on the NASCAR decals. Oh well...

Figures. The last new NASCAR kit was ages ago. Since I was away from the hobby I wasn't really watching what was being produced but did read that SLIXX went out of business due to licensing issues on the NASCAR decals. Oh well...

Well, Slixx got out of NASCAR in 2003, and it was not tell, what 2008-9 that Revell stopped doing NASCAR, the AMT COT is not worth the MSRP that its going for , but you can find then cheap on Ebay, there are decals being made to fit the AMT COT, and there is a resin nose piece to update to 2011 -12

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually told by my lhs Guy been in the business 40+ yrs I asked about the new NASCAR kits he said they cost to much to build there is not enough NASCAR modelers out there that anybody doesn't want to make them the modlimg company's no matter who has to pay each sponser on the car plus what it take to make the kit I don't see it happening IMO but who knows I would like to have one myself so we will see what happens

I was actually told by my lhs Guy been in the business 40+ yrs I asked about the new NASCAR kits he said they cost to much to build there is not enough NASCAR modelers out there that anybody doesn't want to make them the modlimg company's no matter who has to pay each sponser on the car plus what it take to make the kit I don't see it happening IMO but who knows I would like to have one myself so we will see what happens

Wow, thats the biggest load of bull I have ever heard

SLIXX as Jonathan stated got out of NASCAR about 10 years or so ago. They've since then threatened to go out of business twice since then, but every time they do everyone panics to buy the Drag Racing stuff they still make and it's enough to magically cure them of their woes and keep them around. The line at the NNL East last year nearly went out of the room their table was in, with antsy customers. It was right after that show that they decided to keep going.

SLIXX as Jonathan stated got out of NASCAR about 10 years or so ago. They've since then threatened to go out of business twice since then, but every time they do everyone panics to buy the Drag Racing stuff they still make and it's enough to magically cure them of their woes and keep them around. The line at the NNL East last year nearly went out of the room their table was in, with antsy customers. It was right after that show that they decided to keep going.

James, I cant believe its been 10 years now that Slixx stopped doing NASCAR decals, but what I have read around these interweb parts is that Slixx does the "going out of business " thing to drum up more sales, not saying that is true, just what people have speculated, its a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH good way to get some fast bucks :lol: