Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Ford Fairlane 500 Club Victoria! New Photos of an Ancient Build!

John Goschke

Thanks for the comments, guys! Much appreciated.

I just hope I can make one of my '58s look that good. One question: Why did you use a '59 Ford chassis instead of a '57? Was it just handy?

Thanks, Chris. Well, the '59 was handy at the time and because it installs like the original '58 chassis, with four screws, it's an easy swap for a curbside model. The screws holes and posts line up well and the wheelbase is very nearly the same, with only a little adjustment needed. The '59 Ford chassis also works well under the original '58 Edsel annual hardtop and convertible annual kits.

A friend of mine used the AMT '57 Ford chassis under his '58 and it also worked well.

• 2 weeks later...

This is such a pretty build of a car that has been so overlooked and today, there are so few left. Your car looks SO stock, natural and good in those colors! I think that you made the right choice to leave it as it is. I really do love those late 50's Fords.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Beautiful, do you remember how you did the scripts on the rear quarters ? I have a 59 Galaxie I want to redo.

Thanks, Robert. The script and other emblems were added later using a set of photoetched pieces for the '57-'58 Ford sold by Mark "The Putty Thrower" Gustavson. They were advertised in an early issue (1979 or '80?) of Model Car Journal or Scale Auto Enthusiast.

I think Model Car Garage has a set for '57 Fords but your '59 Galaxie would use different parts. I don't know if they have a set for the '59 Fords.

• 3 weeks later...