Model Cars Magazine Forum

Introducing the 2014 Corvette Berlinetta... 1st 2014 Vette sells for?

I think the front end looks okay, and side profile isn't too bad either.... Only the rear end looks bad for me, where are the round taillights what have been in Corvettes from the Early days? But overall, it's pretty nice car, and especially I like that GM builds Front engined sports cars with powerful engine, not as europeans or japanese manufacturers, who make Middle-engined cars.

The pics in this thread look like screen grabs - at least look at the pics GM released...

8377824953_46c40928d3_b.jpg
2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
8378901038_0b2a39714a_b.jpg
8378904442_7631714b64_b.jpg

I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I had the spare dough. As previously mentioned, designers from all the manufacturers are faced with similar constraints and challenges, like aero, ergonomics, lowering weight, MPG, materials, manufacturing, etc. Look at vehicles in any category, the similarities abound.

The C7 is an excellent evolution of the previous designs and doesn't suffer from the sameness like the C5-C6. They've also managed to incorporate some Chevy family design queues as well.

Evolving, yet edgy.

I'm rather with Bill on his remarks about the busyness of the design. I also think a lot of the designs pieces are a bit incongruous.

The engineering, however, sounds quite interesting and should be appreciated. 400 hp, even if a "conservative" rating and 30 miles a gallon is very cool.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

I just don't get how anyone could get that Chevy stole the Camaro taillights for the Corvette. I mean, is it just me or has the Vette had two taillights on each side for who knows how long. Before the current square taillights, when did a Camaro ever have square headlights. And when was the last time it had two taillights on each side? The early 70s? And another thing...despite being sort of kind of square if you are really in an altered state of mind, these look nothing like Camaro lights aside from red lenses and chromed innner housings like almost every other stock taillight to come out of GM.

I think the rear of the car does look a little funny but, over all, I like it. I saw the Ferrari and Viper comparison photos. Isn't it about time Chevy stepped up and started making something over the edge like its competition? Yeah, all brands look the same anymore and stylistically, maybe that's a problem. But the Corvette is starting to look just as luxurious and monsterous as the cars it has been competing with (and aparently beating at Laguna Seca).

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/17/2013-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-sets-lap-record-at-laguna-seca-beat/

Edited by Skydime

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but every time I look at this thing, and the more pix I see, the more I'm amazed that you can get so many lines and creases going every which way on one otherwise nicely-shaped car. It's like they had one actually-talented designer do the basic shape, and then let all the assistants who graduated with C averages each make one mark on the drawing...each one trying to out zoomie the previous one.

There's been a lot of enraged-catfish-look influence creeping into car design the past several years from the tuner styles, and when you combine that unfortunate excess with what good designers used to criticize in American cars of the late '50s..."tortured sheetmetal"...this is what you get.

Folds and lines for no reason DO NOT contribute to aerodynamic efficiency, so that's out as justification. The basic shape, as I've said, is pretty and slippery, but the details bite it bigtime. Maybe the committee of stylists was just TOO big. Too many cooks, soup, and all that.

The interior looks good, though still a little busy / luxo for a 'sports car'.

PS. To answer Skydime's comment "I just don't get how anyone could get that Chevy stole the Camaro taillights for the Corvette", well, I think it's that in general the Camaro taillghts are overwrought and don't belong on the design at all, and that the Corvette rear treatment manages to capture the 'overwrought / doesn't belong' theme perfectly.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

A steering wheel right out of the Caddy parts bin?? Or is boy-racer Cadillac proud to have a Vette engine AND steering wheel?

And Ace has it right- nothing works stylistically. Rectangular taillights fight for attention with FOUR ROUND exhaust cannons. Ferrari circus headlights. If your wife or GF had that many creases, you'd never turn the lights on.

Look at '71 365 Daytonas and late Astons for simple, stirring, purity of line and beautiful form and proportion. And they are exciting as hell when standing next to them.

This vette scream "GET EXCITED!"

I would wager that if "all those lines" were not there, cries of "bland bar of soap" would be pervasive in this conversation.

I'm sticking with the premise its styling is designed to appeal to those who actually will buy them. I'd also bet that GM doesn't care a wit about those who would never buy a Corvette, or can't afford a new one saying how much they dislike it.

So in 12 years when some of the people who really don't like this car now get a smokin' deal on a used one (after the new C10 is released...), how many will brag about how this one is last "good one" before GM screwed it up?

I'm sticking with the premise its styling is designed to appeal to those who actually will buy them. I'd also bet that GM doesn't care a wit about those who would never buy a Corvette, or can't afford a new one saying how much they dislike it.

I don't buy that.

If more people that could spend for it actually liked the look, they'd sell more cars. Isn't that the object of manufacturing an item-to expand your market??

Some of us here who don't like the look might actually buy one if we did like it.

And GM is not so comfy yet as to be happy building to a small group of marque crazies.

I honestly think there's a beautiful and striking car under all the excess surface development trying to get out. It sure would be interesting to see a talented photoshop manipulator (Harry?) remove some of the geegaws and let the fine overall lines speak freely.

Already thinking about doing that! I'm with you... there's basically a good-looking design under all those scoops, creases and add-ons (which, I'm pretty sure, came courtesy of "focus groups" telling GM that they wanted a more "aggressive" design).

But you can't really debate design, it's subjective. No "right" answers... you either like the look or you don't. I like the basic design, but could live with fewer of the "styling touches." :rolleyes:

I don't buy that.

If more people that could spend for it actually liked the look, they'd sell more cars. Isn't that the object of manufacturing an item-to expand your market??

Some of us here who don't like the look might actually buy one if we did like it.

And GM is not so comfy yet as to be happy building to a small group of marque crazies.

You show your bias with the term "crazies". And kind of prove my point too.

No one car is the car for everyone. Otherwise we would only be buying "The Automobile" and everyone would have and like the same product. This car is no exception.

They will sell everyone they make and haveeven more people wishing they had one.

Well, maybe not more than those that complain about how they don't like it, but would never buy one for a myriad of rationalized reasons... I predict it will be a successful product for GM.

For those who think the surface details are too busy and should be removed, you are in luck! You can pick up a used C5 (the blandest Corvette in modern history) for 1/5th (or less) the price of a new C7. (The C5 was probably the best Corvette made before they went and screwed it up… Right?) :P

I would wager that if "all those lines" were not there, cries of "bland bar of soap" would be pervasive in this conversation.

So in 12 years when some of the people who really don't like this car now get a smokin' deal on a used one (after the new C10 is released...), how many will brag about how this one is last "good one" before GM screwed it up?

Boom! Carve it in stone. Agreed.

You show your bias with the term "crazies". And kind of prove my point too.

No one car is the car for everyone. :P

I made no attempt to conceal my bias-I criticized the styling heavily and praised the engineering lightly.

My point being, if the styling were as world -class as GM likes to advertise, more buyers would surface. I disagree that they're content with their market share. As for the contention that those that can't afford one are the dislikers, I can afford one but still dislike the look.

I realize I might be an exception but don't generalize about 'one car for everyone'. I grew up driving and racing the seminal iterations of Vettes up to '69. I stated my contention that after Mitchell and Duntov, Vettes lost credibility with me.

In the time (28 years) I've owned my one hand-built sports car, I could have owned several generations of Vettes. I chose not to because none were as performance-capable as mine. Nor looked as good to my eye. And affordability was certainly not a factor.

Regardless of styling, I -- (like other European sports car snobs) - turned up my nose at the poor handling and lousy suspension of Corvette - until a major overhaul in 1992. My '93 C4 was a wonderful surprise after my Alfas and Porsche 944, and outclassed them in every department, even with all the corners they cut in the interior. And I had the satisfaction of knowing my purchase and maintenance costs were far below other cars in a similar performance category.

But I do agree with ACE and Harry that the basic C7 styling could be nice without all the added junk. Even so, if you look at all the performance and materials upgrades of the C7 and a starting price around $50,000, it's still quite a package.

You guys will all get your chance to erase all those folds and lines when the models come out. I'm amazed that someone isn't releasing a model as we speak.

Honestly, a convertable model would go a long way to making it look better........then swap out the rear bumper cap with something that looks better and doesn't use Camaro inspired tail lights....................