Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Front Engine Dragster Project - Finished

Mooneyzs

I did a little more work on this tonight. I color sanded the clear and have a few spots that I burned thru the clear and will go back and shoot some more of the purple base on it and it will be good to go.

Here is what the body looks like after being color sanded:

PlasticModels322-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks Derrick. I can't wait to get a few decals on this one too. I am a little ticked at myself for burning thru the clear but I had trouble with the purple base. not sure if the paint was contaminated and it didn't lay down like it normally does and since I knew I was going to decal it, I only shot 2 coats of clear but was not totally happy with the finish becasue of the base. I needed to color sand before decaling so it was smooth. anyway I will get it fixed and look like new again :)

Little update for everyone. I got the body color sanded with 1000 grit paper and ready to shoot more base on it. Picked up some new purple today because what I had used was contaminated and bad. I also have mocked up some decals that I will be putting on the car. Not going wild with the decals but just enough to add to the model.

Here is what it looks like mocked up with decals:

PlasticModels326A-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks Ken :lol:

Well I was able to work on this weekend, I picked up some new purple since the PPG DBU I was using had actually gone bad when I originally sprayed it, I knew something wasn't right but sprayed it anyway and well had to go back and redo it... :lol: . Was happy with how the new paint sprayed. It laid down very nice other than a few pieces of dust that got in the clear. But I will color sand it out when I lay the decals down. I will clear again to seal the decals in then will do a final color sand and rub it out.

Here are a few pics:

PlasticModels333A-vi.jpg

PlasticModels343A-vi.jpg

PlasticModels346A-vi.jpg

PlasticModels339A-vi.jpg

PlasticModels330A-vi.jpg

PlasticModels350A-vi.jpg

PlasticModels353A-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful comments. Really happy with the results even though I had to reshoot the purple two/three times. The end result was well worth it.

Aaron... I won't have it completed by the DSC this weekend. I would love to but I just don't want to rush it. I will be bringing it so it will be there as a work in progress B)

WOW, paintjob looks fantastic and that color choice with those decals is looking simly amazing. I like seeing Front Engine Dragsters on the workbench. This will sure look good, you are very talented builder, can't wait to see it done. :rolleyes:

This build is gorgeous and the paint is fantastic. Glad you'll be bringing it to DSC this weekend because I'm gonna be studying it thoroughly. Looking forward to meeting you Chris.

Thanks Brad. looking forward to bringing this to the DSC even though it won't be done. I was going to try and have more done but I have been working some crazy busy hours at work this week which hasn't let me work on my models. lol Look forward to meeting you as well.

WOW, paintjob looks fantastic and that color choice with those decals is looking simly amazing. I like seeing Front Engine Dragsters on the workbench. This will sure look good, you are very talented builder, can't wait to see it done. :rolleyes:

Niko, the kind words are much appreciated my friend. After I had the colors painted I pretty much decided to look at my slixx decals that I had and picked ones that would look good and what I thought fit the build. I didn't want to over do it but wanted to have just enough on there. I am anxious to get this build done. Now I am trying figure should I spend most of my time to just finish this build or continue working little on this and little on my 1/16th scale funny car... :lol: Both builds have the blood flowing to work on them.

Thank you Dogfish!! There was alot more time in this one than I had planned. Gotta love when you have to redo it twice.... B)

I haven't had much time this week to touch this build or my other 1/16th scale build due to working a bunch of hours. Hoping to have some updated pics soon. I will be mocking the draster up with all of the body parts to take to a show tomorrow as a underconstruction. Will try and get a pic or two of it like that to show it all together.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some updated pics of the car mocked up to get an idea of what it will look like today. Hoping to get the decals laid down this week and ready for the final clear coats. Thanks for looking....

PlasticModels3561-vi.jpg

PlasticModels3581-vi.jpg

PlasticModels3591-vi.jpg

PlasticModels3611-vi.jpg

PlasticModels3621-vi.jpg

PlasticModels3691-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thank you brett. I am hoping to possible have this one completed in the next month or month and half or so. but I will try to hit my goal of having decals laid down and final clear coats by the end of next weekend.

Thanks Derrick, My plan was to get my decals laid down this week so I cold clear again over the weekend but with the way work has been this week so far not sure if I will get getting to get that done....lol Nothing like an 18 hour day yesterday. I am whooped and need some model time .... :D