Model Cars Magazine Forum

crazy horse pinto

brett

What would you do ? I got this really cheap through our model club, guy brought in a bunch of old builtups in various conditions and this is one that I got. Now the frame/chassis is pretty nicely done, chrome is starting to wear off a little but everything else is pretty good. The body is in great condition but brush painted, decals have had a few scrapes etc. now the question, should I strip it (1) just the body, cause thats all you really see anyway and repaint (have some of the decals including the crazy horse ones) or (2)the whole lot or (3) leave it as apiece of local modeling history.

I'm tempted to just strip and repaint the body, the seat is pretty dusty but otherwise its all pretty good. The other thing was should I paint it the same? I'm tempted to do the same layout but jazzed up a little ( I'm thinking lace in the red stripes or maybe in the yellow parts) . Here's couple pics as it is

DSCF1707_zpseba3c742.jpg

DSCF1706_zpsb6e4300f.jpg

DSCF1705_zps9a1576ef.jpg

DSCF1703_zps7d28495a.jpg

DSCF1704_zps37a64584.jpg

Edited by brett

Brett.... I think its cool even like it is...its a piece of history...but the choice is yours in the end. Wondering what else you got looking at the old Johan build up...been looking for some older stuff to replace ones that were stolen when the house was broken into and most of my stash/collection was taken or damaged.

Thanks for your input guys, so far I've stripped it, its all in pretty good shape so will remove mold lines and tidy up a couple small glue spots.Paint wise, I'm gonna see if I've cured my little problem and do an updated version of the same sort of layout that was on the car. Chassis mmmmm..... might see if I can get the rocker covers and blower and hat off, chrome is all but gone, its even dustier than what I thought, did a little clean up with a wet q tip, you'll see where

DSCF1814_zps704b4d64.jpg

DSCF1816_zpsfe59a594.jpg

DSCF1815_zpsb8a1d3bd.jpg

DSCF1817_zps3f731b43.jpg

the chrome is pretty bad everywhere noticeably on the wheelie bars and front end both which are quite delicate and hard to replace so I may just try and gently clean and paint in place

Bust that dude down like an old shot guy and rebuild her with the bad.arse Brett look. I like black and yellow stripes together with white pin striped by the yellow and black, "leave the pinto on back window its sweet looking, lol, wire and plumb that bad boy.out, and boom, Brett Mania running wild,

• 1 month later...

:) pulled the rocker covers and hat and alcladded them, been playing with paint along the way. Used the same effect on the red like the blue but it came out very ghosted (like ghost flames) so will have another attempt at the red before I call it quits

DSCF1968_zps279612cb.jpg

DSCF1970_zps87b2c41c.jpg

DSCF1971_zps38a0c86a.jpg

DSCF1969_zps38dff1b6.jpg

Well, at first I was all for "keeping the history" of the built up kit

"but"

having seen your re-work of the kit, I must say, . . . . . . . . . . .

WOW!!

I am really impressed with Your paint work!!

WOW!!

I am looking forward to the rest of the "re-work!"

Thank You for sharing this with Us here

Later

Russ

thanks guys, finally got back to the bench to do some more, Re masked it off and reshot pearl red over all the red lines, subtle but much better in person, will decal and start on chassis next

DSCF2019_zps2f1c3bc1.jpg

DSCF2018_zps89e0cb56.jpg

Edited by brett

• 3 weeks later...