Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '90 Mustang LX 5.0 2'n1 Special Edition

Casey

We will have to wait and see. But, being the availability status of the kit was changed by the suppliers, it could be a good indication that the kit is on its way. I will stand by Mid/late March to early April (as was indicated by Ed), but if it is going to be a later release date I will not argue (as it will give me more time to pay off this case of pre-order!).

The next issue of this kit will see it issued as a 2-n-1 stocker/drag car combo. Look for that in late 2014/early 2015 depending on how well this offering is received. Regardless, I will be getting at least 12 of them.

As to the labeling, it has been re-labeled as a 1990 (even though it is still in the ordering system as a 1992) because of the 10-holes (as was mentioned by James). Ed and I were talking about this subject before the release was actually announced. The 10-holes were offered on the civilian version of the 5.0L from 1985-1990, after that they got the 16" Pony wheels. Airbags were implemented in 1990 as well, so the only 90% correct civilian version that can be produced from this is a 1990. Now, not to say you can't scrounge up a set of Ponies and bring it to 1991-93 standards, or swap a 2.3L into it and be correct for 1990-93 (as 1987-89 had different seats and steering wheel/gauge surround/lower dash for both the 2.3L and 5.0L cars)

Edited by whale392

Trust me on this. The kit will not be out in February. No way, no chance, no how. Won't happen.As a matter of fact, you all can bet me on this. Five bucks, first better! Any bets? Line 'em up!

I'll back you up on this. No way, no how, will this kit be out in February. I'll eat my hat if it's out by May. I'd be downright shocked if it's out by mid-summer. I'd put my money on late-summer or fall. Need I remind y'all that there are folks on this board who do this for a living? Not saying I'm in the loop or anything, but this ain't my first rodeo...

I wouldn't be suprised if it gets pushed back (as Revell has a habit of doing that); I was (and still am) just going on what I was told by Ed and the hobby distributor for my local shop. Personally, I really don't care when this year it comes out as i already have a case on pre-order and will more than likely order/purchase even more later.

As an owner of 3 FOX Chassis cars (with 5 total owned), I am eager to see what it looks like IN MY HANDS and compared to my 1:1s. If it does come later in the year, i have more time to acquire kits for both donor and swap material. Hopefully, the kit sells well and will be in many different guises over the next years.

I'll back you up on this. No way, no how, will this kit be out in February. I'll eat my hat if it's out by May. I'd be downright shocked if it's out by mid-summer. I'd put my money on late-summer or fall. Need I remind y'all that there are folks on this board who do this for a living? Not saying I'm in the loop or anything, but this ain't my first rodeo...

Anybody know the best way to cook a hat?!?!? :blink:

'Cuz the latest intel from Revell says May release (and that's the first official word from them on any date). Now, in Revell-speak, that means every day, up to and including the last day of May to ship out of their facility, and their stuff typically does ship right at the end of the month.

A hat can be steamed for the best overall texture and flavor. Figure on using a serrated knife to cut it. Perhaps a nice marinade would help?

Hopefully it's a leather hat- they cut easier with a serrated knife than a fabric hat. I'd rather not discuss how I came across this little tidbit...

Funny, I don't remember 'em tires to be so tall in the pics from October. Eh, well, I'll do my part buying a few to encourage the rumored drag release.

Think a fair amount of the funkiness could be diminished just by shimming the rear end up a wee...

Looking back at page one, these are definitely the same models they had on display. I'm thinking it's got something to do with photshopping out the shadow underneath the cars, because in the other pics you can see they fill up the wheelwells the same way, but don't look so high.

Dollars to doughnuts they're photoshopped on anyway. But I'm thinking Revell's throwing them in there as a bonus for police car modelers for use on other more appropriate K-9 cars.

Much like the '57 Ford. It also has K-9 decals but I don't recall police agencies having K9 markings on cars that early. There were a few agencies using police service dogs in the mid-60's but it didn't become common until the mid- to late-70's. K-9 markings and warnings and caution signs on police cars are more recent developments.

So official word is May release? I can live with that and it is fairly close to Ed stating late April (which is the schedule he gets from Revell as Ed is not in charge of release dates. He is just in charge of new product development).

The box art cars are the same ones that were on the NNL table last October, and whoever did the box are Photoshop did a bit of a poor job on the tire look. They were not that massive on the display models (but if they come through too large, I already have a cure for that).

Anyone else notice they changed the box art police markings as well?, the pics on page one show CHP markings, the box art is generic markings, I wonder if the plan was to use CHP markings and that has since changed

Good point. I didn't even look at the picture in post# 101 until you pointed it out. Goofy generic looking star. Probably a licensing issue. CHP probably wants money for their $tar.

And, another good point is the police dog markings. No way a 2dr coupe is going to be used for a dog, especially not a smal 2dr coupe.

WOULD IT BE SO HARD TO FIND A KNOWLEDGEABLE CONSULTANT FOR THESE EMERGENCY VEHICLE KITS, BEFORE THEY'RE PUT ON THE MARKET?

Like the Rat Roaster ... so close but then so far off target at the same time.

Good point. I didn't even look at the picture in post# 101 until you pointed it out. Goofy generic looking star. Probably a licensing issue. CHP probably wants money for their $tar.

And, another good point is the police dog markings. No way a 2dr coupe is going to be used for a dog, especially not a smal 2dr coupe.

WOULD IT BE SO HARD TO FIND A KNOWLEDGEABLE CONSULTANT FOR THESE EMERGENCY VEHICLE KITS, BEFORE THEY'RE PUT ON THE MARKET?

Like the Rat Roaster ... so close but then so far off target at the same time.

Well, least with this one, the K-9 issue is just decals, but I agree, a little bit of research would show that a 2dr would not be used as a k-9 unit in most case's.

Still excited about the kit, and going to get a few , as for the decal issue, not a big deal, I wasnt going to use them anyways, and I am sure a good majority of the guys that are going to build the PPV of the kit are going to use aftermarket decals too.

Which tires would these cars have originally been equipped with? Goodyear Gatorbacks?

I distinctly recall Gatorbacks and Michelins with what I thought was a TRX-looking tread in 1993, when I went shopping for a new one. Mine had the gators. I was under the impression the gatorback was the most frequently used tire for 5.0 ten-holes from '85 on.

What's a '93 225/55-16 got to do with a '90 225/60-15? Well, when you check what was oem Michelin for '93 (recall the kit was nominally a '92 at the start), you find a Pilot XGTZ4. Got no idea whether this is truly accurate to what was available 20 years ago, but it sure seems to have tread and sidewall properties similar to what's in this kit:

70-90801.jpg

What's with the black band at the sides of the windshield? At the top I can understand, but the sides? No windshield perimeter trim, either (yet?)?

Is the wide, black waistline trim band a feature of all stock '90 LX notches? Not sure if this one is still totally stock with a stock tires size, but they do look tall, too:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/50981

Is the wide, black waistline trim band a feature of all stock '90 LX notches? Not sure if this one is still totally stock with a stock tires size, but they do look tall, too:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/50981

Well least Revell is keeping constant with to tall tires on their Mustang kits :lol:

I think Revell overdid the windshield black edging..it's there on the real thing, but much narrower.. I'm more of a GT fan as far as Foxes go, but I've seen LXes of that era both with and without black beltline molding. IIRC, the '91-93 LXes got the body color molding. I have all the brochures of that era somewhere in my stash.

90.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

I guess a 225/60R-15 isn't quite Gatorback territory, and they are a bit taller and narrower than I was expecting for a 5.0L powered car, or a highway pursuit car. This LX is wearing 225/60R-15s and they fill up the wheelwells fairly well, so it looks like I was wrong about the tire diameter:

P1050162.jpg