Model Cars Magazine Forum

watch crystal cement ... is it all stringy?

I've used watch crystal cement for a number of years to glue windows in. I just tried Testors window cement and I don't particularly like it's thinness and starting cloudy color.

I like how crystal cement behaves ... thickness, tackiness and clearness but it's stringy and it's difficult to use without making a mess. By stringy, I mean when picking some up on a toothpick it stays attached to the original drop be a thin string of glue.

Is all crystal cement like this is my question. Does anyone have experience with some that isn't stringy?

This is what I have. It seems a commonly available brand.

hypo-tubecementDSC_0888.jpg

I bought a tube of that glue a few years ago because I'd heard high praise from some modelers. However, I found it to be impossible to deal with and more trouble than it is worth. I don't remember whether or not it was stringy.

I like the Testors stuff because it doesn't take much and it does dry clear and with a very strong bond. I think some modelers have a tendency to overdo it in application and that's why they don't like it.

And Microscale makes a very nice white glue that dries clear. That is an excellent choice for clear parts if you can find it easily at your local hobby supplier.