Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bill Rutan Special - Hill Climbing VW/Porsche

curt raitz

Was watching "Chasing Classic Cars" on Velocity a few weeks back featuring the Bill Rutan Special.

Not a very attractive car and a definitly a different type of car which show host ol' Wayne Carini regularly diplays

Bill started with a 1945 VW and a 1958 Porsche Porsche 4-cam engine. He designed the frame rollcage, rear suspension, turned the engine around with the transaxle trailing for better weight distribution and relaced the the twin distributors with an 8 cylinder distributor.

All together the Special only weighed in at 850 lbs.

Bill's most famous race was the 1961 Mt. Washington Hill Climb, he had the fastest overall time on the dirt and gravel road. Second overall in this race was Carroll Shelby in a race-prepared Ferrari!

I decided this would be a good modeling project, but what version do I build?

The original...not a lot of pictures and a really ugly car.

Decided to build the car in it's current restoration, lots of photos available.

Here's a few current photos of the car:

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

Gonna use the following kits as donors, mostly cuz I had both in my cupboard.

BillRutanSpecial_VWDonorkit-vi.jpg

utanSpecial_356PorscheDonorkit1-vi.jpg

I know, I know...how can you part out this kit, well...where ya gonna find a Porsche 4-cam engine?

I can still build as a curb side, they provide extra wheels and brakes to build a 356 B or 356 C.

I'll be using the 356 B parts and engine/transaxle from the kit.

Here's a photo of parts from both kits I may or may not use...

BillRutanSpecial_a-vi.jpg

Wheels are from the 356 B and tires from the VW kit

Got out the drawing pad, calculator and went to work on getting this thing scaled out to 1/24th scale...resulting in this:

BillRutanSpecialChassisDetail-vi.jpg

Time to get working on this thing, should be fun...

thanx for lookin'

yeah, I've built that engine before...it's Ok, but not as nice as the Fujimi engine

with the engine as visible as it is on this car, I want a good looking engine.

and I don't have an issue with building the Fujimi 356 C as a curbside

Cool car, cool project, nice work on those scale drawings. Super-light hill-climb cars are really something to watch. The Porsche 909 Bergspyder hillclimb cars were also reputed to weigh about 850lb... impressively light for a 275HP, flat-eight powered car..

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I really like the projects you come up with and the swift execution of largely scratchbuilt unique subject matter. when did you start on this? Is this actually two days worth of work ?

actually it only took about three hours to fabricate what you see...

spent about 8 -10 hours on the scale drawings which really help with the construction

After seeing the show this was the first thing that crossed my mind - make a model of that car! Now I'm glad I didn't - I would never do it as fast and as good as you are doing it :D

Really great work so far and I can't wait for the next update!

Good luck with the rest of the project!

Love the graph paper chassis work, it's much more efficient and convenient than using a computer. How did you do your frame arches and bends? They are nice and even.

Keep it up.

Dale

I just worked with plastic rod by bending and stretching it over a round tube, comparing it to the drawings until I got the correct arc.

wow that's excellent. I am a big fan of that quad cam (grenade) motor. having built a few myself one thing I would suggest is you seek out and buy the photoetch set that replaces the cylinder fins. that horizontal crack through them is gonna kill ya.

nicereardetailshot.jpg

rearright3.jpg

looks great so far, I love the chassis work youre doing