Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Spearmin-T" bucket build

Modelbuilder Mark

While I never really knew Chuck Granger, the people in the local clubs made it clear he was something special to them. So when I picked up an old AMT Parts Pack hot rod frame still in the pack from his widows booth, I found myself wanting to build something in an older style. Possibly Chuck himself might have built had he still been here to build it. Now, I am not 100% certain of his taste, but from his stash it was clear he liked Hot Rods. Once home I started digging through may parts trying to come up with something appropriate. I found that I had some pieces from the 3N1 25 T kit, and decided to go with the bucket. I even decided to keep that Lincoln motor, again to keep it more of a period hot rod rather than a modern build. Digging through my stash of paints I have had for years, I came across some Ultracolor Spearmint toner, and so decided to name it either Mint T or Spearmint T. Turns out Dave Mikrut here on the forum already had a Mint T, so Spearmin-T it is.

I have moved a bit along in the build before posting, so I will get you up to speed a bit here all at once.

In these first pics you can see that I cut up the straight front axle, to have a little more of a dropped axle. I am going to try and have working steering, but I am not 100% certain I am capable of making it happen. I do mean working, not pose-able.

post-8985-0-71402600-1408083444_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-28994500-1408083446_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-28493000-1408083464_thumb.jp

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

Finally the motor is coming along, but not completed. I do have the color on the body, shot over silver. It has been cleared but not yet buffed out. The headers will either be chromed with Alclad or flat white, I am not sure yet, and I am still stuck on a wheel choice. Very likely piecrust slicks at the rear, with either chrome steelies...

post-8985-0-97855500-1408084048_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-30312700-1408084067_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-86926200-1408084085_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-50805900-1408084104_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-06893900-1408084123_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-43824000-1408084141_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-46555300-1408084159_thumb.jp

Mark this is Chuck about two weeks before He passed away. His Admiration for Drag, and Street Rods was prevalent in the models He built. By the way Good Job Chuck would have approved. If you are Interested in seeing the Models of Chuck Granger. Many of them are featured at this site www.moonlightmodelers.com where Chuck was a member for 15+years

Edited by my80malibu

Nice concept, Mark. You're right on track with the basic Chuck Granger Style ~ 60's to very early 70's at the latest. He wasn't big on street rods with modern, chromey mags and definitely was NOT a fan of billet wheels. His favorite default was probably painted steelies with brand-specific dog dish caps, although he was into Cragars and Halibrands.

Forward, m'man! You've got the spirit. Chuck would approve.

B)

Mark this is Chuck about two weeks before He passed away. His Admiration for Drag, and Street Rods was prevalent in the models He built. By the way Good Job Chuck would have approved

Thanks for sharing that picture. I do recall seeing him, but sad to say I never met him. Based on everyone's feelings for him, it was an honor last year to get the plaque that was attributed to him. His widow was very nice and I enjoy speaking with her. She had mixed emotions about selling his stuff, but felt that other builders needed to have it. I picked up a lot of bits and pieces from the parts bins that will be going onto projects for many years into the future.

Danno, I am thinking of possibly Beatnik Bandit or other Roth wheels, or Chrome Steelies. Something flashy, but not modern.

Thanks everyone. It has been a hard summer to get things done in the model room, but I keep trying to plug away a little at a time. I get these ideas sometimes, but I am not always technical enough to carry them off, then I get frustrated at myself for not being able to get it to turn out like I see in my mind. I have more interest in some of my subjects than I have knowledge about them (IE:I am NO mechanic). Often, that causes me to take longer at something that might be simple for someone else. For example, I know the carb linkage is not scale accurate, so I just want it to "look right" from a distance.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, got it sanded out, just need to polish it. Mocking everything up and looking at some wheel choices.

med_gallery_8985_1211_553825.jpg

I was going to use the chrome reverse from the Beatnik Bandit, but will likely just use the rear mags and tires from the kit. The front wheels are looking like parts box chrome reverse and white wall tires.

med_gallery_8985_1211_1578063.jpg

The rear tires are really nice, with Racemaster lettering from the kit but are blackwall. So I made a negative mask from tape, and shot the tires.....

med_gallery_8985_1211_498802.jpg

but......typical of me, was working late and trying to multi-task. I had one tire forward and and the other one not, so now they are white wall on both sides.. :wacko: But they still look good, to me.

Thanks Joe and Brad!

Tim, that is a brand of tape similar to Tamiya, but it is another Japanese company called Kamoi. I picked it up at a hobby shop, but I know you can get it online. This one is the masking tape, snuggles down real nice, but they also make pattern tape too. I am sure they have different widths, but this is 1.5 inches wide.

Bernard, yeah it will sit more level than that, as it is literally just sitting there right now. It will have some slant to it, but nothing like it shows above.....I hope LOL