Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Spearmin-T" bucket build

Modelbuilder Mark

Thanks guys.

@ Joe, the front axle will remain white, but now that you mention it....hmmm. Worst part, if I tried to paint it now, it would no doubt have a different tint. We shall see.

@Russ, there is not as much scratched on this project as on some of my previous. Just a mating of bits from older kits and some bits to enhance them.

I was away for a few days, but will be back at the bench this weekend and hope to get it up on it's feet.

OK, did not get as much done this weekend as I would like on this. I had to care for my sick wife, and babysit my step grand-babies. I am also trying to help out a fellow builder on a project from the list, and I just hope I do not let him down. BUT, I have it up on its feet, but just mocked up at this point. I had originally planned on using the rear tires and mags from the Beatnik Bandit kit, but once I got the body sitting on with the front wheels, they were just too darn narrow/small for the size on the motor, and track width compared to the front wheels, to my eye anyway. I tried to use the tampo printed AMT pie crusts like those in the Model T 3-1, but the diameter is too small for most of the rims I was looking at. So I pulled out the circle template, made new masks, and shot these Goodyears. While I am not a huge fan of these, they look alright painted up. Now the depth of the Beatnik rims are not deep enough, so I will likely be using these deep dish chrome Ford rims that I just got from Crazy Jim, but to be honest I am not sure of the kit source. I would like to get some more at some point.

I will need to finish the steering components, and the windshield, and then it is just piecing it all together.

post-8985-0-56785200-1411360255_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-81303200-1411360262_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-62488500-1411360271_thumb.jp

Most of what I got done this week will not be easily recognized as "progress" because it is things like tie rod and connectors. The wheels can work together, and controlled by the steering wheel. The connection at the base of the steering unit will be a little crude to function, but will not be seen easily. That is ok tho as this build is to be mostly inline with something that would have been built maybe 30 years ago.

Officially up on it's feet now that I am committed to the wheel choice. Engine mounted, black wash applied etc, just missing front brake lines at this point. The only construction I have left before final assembly is the windshield.

post-8985-0-51942700-1411947324_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-62136700-1411947326_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-92391600-1411947328_thumb.jp

post-8985-0-77114800-1411947332_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...