Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

IMG_3965-vi.jpg

VC Valiant Wayfarer Ute resin from Australia! It's on my bucket list to import one of these 1:1s. My friend from Australia was visiting here this week and brought me this. He said it's one of two existing, as Tony hasn't started casting them for retail just yet. So Tony has one built up he did and I have casting number two! Yea!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Mailman just dumped these on the doorstep a bit ago. All purchased from ebay. A couple of Cobra's to add to the Cobra collection. ( pushing 625 I believe ) Also got this Lago-Talbot by SMER . Don't know much ( actually nothing) about this company but this kit will take some serious work to make a nice display piece. Not sure I am up to the task.

gottoday001_zps3746d202.jpg

Mailman just dumped these on the doorstep a bit ago. All purchased from ebay. A couple of Cobra's to add to the Cobra collection. ( pushing 625 I believe ) Also got this Lago-Talbot by SMER . Don't know much ( actually nothing) about this company but this kit will take some serious work to make a nice display piece. Not sure I am up to the task.

gottoday001_zps3746d202.jpg

That Lago may be a bad kit but you can't beat the box art. Too cool.

Later-

I got these from a Local Model Car Show. I bought the Jo-Hans and they were for sale with a good price. I got the '55 Chevy in a trade and that bike came to me as all Junior Modelers were given a free Model Kit, and I got that one. Hopefully I can trade it for something that is bit more in my comfort zone. And then those little parts were also bought, with a cheap price of course. :lol:

DSCN8828-vi.jpg

Picked up a great haul from a local swap meet today, won a few in the raffle too. We had a great time, saw some great cars and met some pretty cool people from the boards too.

Dang.You bought a lot more there than I did today.I only picked up a Revell Good Guys Willys and and the Revell Good Guys '29 Ford pickup 3-n-1.

Been there......my addiction was the R/C department. Walk in for 3 bucks worth of parts and walk out with 200.00 worth of stuff and another 400.00 in parts on order. lol Spent lots of time there helping build the 2nd and 3rd track layouts.

Edited by jrherald420

Great score! It is a Promo Model I guess? It looks very good, and it's even the same color as dad's '79 Skyhawk was when we owned it.

P5072633.JPG?img=smaller

I got Missing Link Resins' '73 Chevelle a couple of days ago.

DSCN8478-vi.jpg

well, see ? now I have a direction for the little promo ...

Went too a local Modelcar show and swap meet, Met Jeepgirl and Logtripper, (I guess they forgot we met

and I sold them some kits for a rockin good deal)

and came home with some goodies.

The Silver Peterbilt is based on a Monogram F-350 chassis (real show truck) and a kenworth Drag truck.

1450917_10201861908100968_1320367003_n.j

and a few odds and ends..

1391763_10201864974617629_1018194244_n.j

Edited by RodneyBad

Went too a local Modelcar show and swap meet, Met Jeepgirl and Logtripper,

and came home with some goodies.

The Silver Peterbilt is based on a Monogram F-350 chassis (real show truck) and a kenworth Drag truck.

1450917_10201861908100968_1320367003_n.j

and a few odds and ends..

1391763_10201864974617629_1018194244_n.j

That VW is way cool

Got these from local car show yesterday:

- '40 Ford Delivery parts as much that is possible to make almost two models from those. :D

- Polar Lights Richard Petty Charger , box opened but otherwise it's like brand new

- '60 Ford Starliner , engine is missing and body is painted but all the other parts are there

- Two '66 Olds 442 , one I bought and other one came to me as all Junior Modelers were given a free Model Kit

- '66 Chevy Nova Pro Street, missing rear tires and windshield is broken but otherwise it's like brand new

- Jolly Rancher fuel dragster, some parts were glued together and missing few very small parts but it's unpainted an have all decals etc.

- Box of mopar parts because it was very cheap :D

- some flock

PB030460_zpsf22990fc.jpg

Didn't actually get it today, but recently and I haven't posted anything about it. BUT . . .

I scored a holy grail a couple of weeks ago for an outrageously generous bargain price. Out of respect for the usual pricing most people pay, I'm not even going to say how little I paid. But, I digress.

The important thing is ... I've yearned for one of these for decades. The kit was issued once. Once. In 1972. Only. (In this configuration.)

AMT T-510. The GMC Astro 95 TURBINE tractor.

GMC_Astro_95_AMT_T510.jpg

{Image borrowed from IPMS Archives.}

Mine is in mint condition, all parts present in sealed bags. Even the one-time-only decal sheet is perfect and useable.

There's a story behind this kit. If any of the acknowledged experts or historians know differently, please chime in. But from what I understand, it goes like this:

In the early to mid '70s, GM was experimenting with gas turbine engines as motive power for buses and OTR semi tractors, in an effort to develop a more fuel efficient power source for big trucks. They built a fleet of turbine-powered semi-tractors that GM used for new car and parts delivery vehicles, as well as test mules. AMT tooled up the Chevrolet Titan 90 and GMC Astro 95 kits in 1972, and included a replica of the turbine engine in the T-510 GMC kit (It also included the Detroit Diesel, so you could build the truck either way).

It didn't take more than a couple of years for GM to realize the gas turbines were not showing big gains in fuel economy, so they bailed out of the much-ballyhooed program. I believe they immediately cancelled AMT's licensing agreement for the Turbine engine and GM Experimental Truck markings (included on the decal sheet).

So, by the time any subsequent reissues of the kits were marketed, the turbine engines, decals, and references were gone. The one and only time the turbines were marketed was 1972.

When you see this rare kit available, it usually goes for BIG bucks.

Edited by Danno

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...