Model Cars Magazine Forum

1990 LX MUSTANG...updates 07/19/14

tyrone

Honestly, I would go the x275 route or outlaw drag radial. Don't see those too often and it would be totally bad ass to see one from you

I like that idea as well. This build I'm certain is gonna be stellar no matter what he does with it. I'll be watching it closely and maybe just learn something new to help me get my modeling skills up to amateur. LOL

thanks for all the kinds words of encouragement fellas... I really appreciate it.. I was able to spend a little time at the bench the past few days and I made uo a set of mini tubs for the rear and have been working on the cage... thanks a million Joe for the link ;)

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

Ok Tyrone, ya gotta get that Camaro out from behind the Pony. I try to look at the Pony but somehow I'm magneticaly drawn to that Camaro!!!! I can't even see a Mustang in the photo anymore, wait, there was a Mustang in the photo????? :D

Just kiddin', the Pony is coming along and looking as awesome as what ever you build!!!!! Can't wait for more........... now I gotta go back and see where that Mustang was.........

Hey Tyrone,

Your subframe connectors and other bracing in the floor pan look great. I like how you actually cut your connectors into the floor. Did you do the same thing with the diagonal connectors? I can't tell for sure about them. Also, how do you make the bends in your roll cage tubing to be so crisp, i.e., what is the process you follow to make them that sharp? She's going together well, my friend...

There's a group on facebook, that is doing these outlaw LX builds, so I decided to join in with them

Hey Tyrone... what group if you don't mind me asking. Would love to take a look at what they got there as well.

Also, what size tubing are you using for the major bars in the cage as well as the smaller cross bars??? The larger main ones look like .080.

Lastly, was gonna cruze through your Photobucket album but the link is not directing me to it.

Edited by Johnny Racer

thanks for the nce commets fellas... I really appreciate it...

Leonard..... thanks for checking in.. I appreciate the input...

Scott... thanks bro... I thought it would be cool to make those cuts in the chassis instead of just gluing them on top of floor.... as far as bending the styrene rod.. I use a lighter at times for some of my bends on others I bend the rod slowly and carefully by hand and then hit it with just a little heat from a lighter so that it keeps it's shape..

Mike.... thanks alot for checking in .... glad you like it...

Michael.... I use evergreen .062 rod I think it's #221 for most of the bars...

I've made a little bit of progress.. I've added some bars to the front of the car.. and decided to use the 8.8 ford rear end I'm gonna try to brace it up and make some shock mounts and brackets for it... here's a few pics...

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

015.jpg

this is close to the ride height I'm after.....

014.jpg

Hey tyrone what tires are you using on the rear. Ive looking for a small tire such as a 10.5 slick or even radials but from what i understand people are having problems with getting radials. Those are what i really want and need about 8 or 10 pairs for some of my projects but they are all on hold they i can figure out my tire issues. Hopefully someone out there can help me out with either resin or 3d printed ones. Your build is looking awesome though. I love watching all your builds. Hopefully one day ill be able to get as good as you and some of these other great builders on here. Have a good one.

Hey tyrone what tires are you using on the rear. Ive looking for a small tire such as a 10.5 slick or even radials but from what i understand people are having problems with getting radials. Those are what i really want and need about 8 or 10 pairs for some of my projects but they are all on hold they i can figure out my tire issues. Hopefully someone out there can help me out with either resin or 3d printed ones. Your build is looking awesome though. I love watching all your builds. Hopefully one day ill be able to get as good as you and some of these other great builders on here. Have a good one.

Kris... the tires and wheels are from the first issue of the pro-stock cutlass kits.... Warren Johnson and Larry Morgan kits.... I sanded the raised letters off...

Scott... I'm gonna try and make a K-member for the front end... I've been having a tough time trying to find some good pics of the front suspension or the rear end set ups on these little beasts....

I suspect you've already googled and come up with pics, but here's one of the D&D Motorsports tubular K-member for a Mustang. There can't be tons of difference between different manufacturers, so at least this may be a starting point. I may have some pics on a different computer at home of my tubular k-member if you want/need to see different angles. I'm pretty sure I've got pics...

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=DD7993102+01

and pics of a couple of HP Motorsports' lower control arm kits

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/hpm-megabite-vs-megabite-jr-lower-control-arms.413003/

I'd love to build a drag radial foxbody! Would you have any idea where I can get my hands on a cowl hood?

I have an '84 1:1 that I've been looking to build a replica for some time. I've been hoarding the '83 convertible kits, but I can't find a cowl hood or ET Streets, I don't have facebook, but I'd love to get in on the lx race car thing.

Thanks for the nice words of encouragment fellas... I really appreciate it... :)

Ryan I usually make my own cowl hoods.. I'll be making one for this one also... well I made a front k-member and control arms from styrene rod ...I'm real happy wiith how they turned out... I modified the front struts from the pro stock cutlass kit, by making them longer... I made the rear wing. I decided to open the trunk, and I've started on the trunk floor and added some bracing and brackets to the rear end... thanks for looking and comments welcome....

004-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

007-2.jpg

003-3.jpg

Edited by tyrone