Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Top Fuel Motorcycle (Larry "Spiderman" McBride)

ScrappyJ

This project is already completed and went to Atlanta. I am posting in work in progress to show the build-up. There was a past thread on it, but likely has been archived and rather than try looking for it, I figured I would go ahead and start a new one. A good friend took some professional pictures of the completed bike in Atlanta and I am waiting to get them to post the completed project. In the meanwhile, I will treat it like an “in progress” build and post pics piece-by-piece.

I’ll start with the frame. The original jig for the frame was a piece of 2X4 wood and then I taped some graph paper on it in order to keep the lines straight. I drilled a piece of brass to act as the fixture to hold the neck of the frame for the front-end/forks and everything else was built off of that. I eventually made a jig as I am possibly going to do three to four more of the bikes for the owner of the 1:1 bike.

IMG_1616-vi.jpg

The frame has sinced moprhed a little, but this is what it looked like after the first go-around and for the most part, it has the same geometry, etc., just some slight updates after looking at my reference material a littlecloser.

CRW_0151_RJ-vi.jpg

CRW_0152_RJ-vi.jpg

Edited by ScrappyJ

Well this is interesting! Didn't visit in your Fotki page, since I'd like to follow it in this topic. Excellent start with it, how fast these Top Fuel Bikes are in the USA?

Here in Finland, Ian King drove 6,1 ET with his TF-Bike, here's my video of it.

Peter Svensson has driven high 5's also, on 1/4 Mile in Sweden.

Dirk, this is shaping up as an impressive build mate. B)

I too have held back from visiting your Fotki pages (even though I use them too) as I want to enjoy this as "it happens" so to speak. :)

Looking forward to your next installment mate.

Here are the wood bucks I carved in order to vacuum-form the body sections. The “master” of the main body section would wind up being tweaked as there was not enough rake/slope to it. I probably should have redone the buck, but instead, I adjusted the master since I knew I would end up casting the body pieces for the other bikes.

IMG_1628-vi.jpg

IMG_1627-vi.jpg

IMG_1632-vi.jpg

IMG_1619-vi.jpg

IMG_1623-vi.jpg

Hey Dirk, awesome job on the bike, or should I say, work of art. It's been my pleasure to have seen this creation come to be over the past few years. I'm just sad that I didn't get to see the finished piece in person in Atlanta. Congrats. on your well deserved award. I'm sure that I will see it in person eventually somewhere in the coming months.

Thanks, gents!

@Rick: It was good meeting and talking with you too, Rick. Reggie and I were talking the other day and he said he was going to reach out to you.

@Wayne: Yeah...we missed you guys too!

After I built the original version on the frame and the body parts, I started on the parts for the engine. The engine block is a two-piece unit and the fins on the cylinder jug was machined using a slitting saw. The only part from a kit is the head and the valve cover, which came out of Tamiya’s Suzuki Katana kit and then modified to receive the blower plenum and the bigger exhaust pipes. The magneto, oil pump and original version of the fuel pump (ended up using a unit that Mike Lawrence CNC’d for me) were machined and then the three cogged pulleys for them were machined. All three units have been died and the engine side plate was tapped so that they screw onto the plate. Once those were done, I had to machine the stabilizer plates for the two cogs for the magneto and oil pump and then the solo bracket for the fuel pump pulley. I also machined the pulleys for the blower, the blower, blower pulley arm (don't know what it is really called) and the plenum/manifold. I don’t really have good pics of the engine and individuals of the magneto, fuel pump and oil pump, but here they are on the engine plate.

IMG_1674-vi.jpgIMG_1734-vi.jpgIMG_1811-vi.jpgIMG_1809-vi.jpg

Edited by ScrappyJ

Thanks for the kind words, Fellas! It is ALWAYS appreciated!

I originally didn’t do the rear part of the frame that attaches the axle to the frame correctly (originally, I had it solder to the frame and after some more research, I realized that there were two billet pieces that attached to the frame and that the axle slid through. Since the original version had this piece soldered to it, I had to find some channel stock for the piece to bolt into and then I had to machine the billet pieces. During this process, I had to try making them symmetrical so I had to use my tilting table with my vise. The funny thing with machining (and cool thing actually), is that in many cases there are two or more ways to approach things. My way is only my way and not necessarily the correct way, but I use the best way that I know.

The first version on in brass soldered to the frame:

tensionerbracket-vi.jpg

For the billet version, I started by milling down blocks to then machine each set. Then I proceeded to machine:

IMG_2556-vi.jpg

IMG_2558-vi.jpg

IMG_2559-vi.jpg

The final product sans the tapped holes for the bolts:

IMG_2560-vi.jpg

Edited by ScrappyJ